Coursera

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ad2b

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Because I'm not in classes this semester and prepping for the MCAT (again :( ), I found a physiology course taught by a professor from Duke. Thought it might reinforce systems related things that I have basic knowledge of but not in-depth. Figured it couldn't hurt me.

Then found a medical neuroscience *class* as well taught by another professor from Duke. He says it's a close to the real, on-campus class as he could do and expects students to put in 15 - 20 hours a week and do all the assignments, adding he does watch who does what. Even invited us for fun-runs if we're in Durham!

NOT looking to see if these could be counted for credit.

AM wondering if there is any reason, or not, to bring these up at some point? Or if, despite the professors teaching / university affiliation, it would be seen as... something other than, "Hey, this person is a non-trad, doing what she can to keep motivated and in-touch with sciences."

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't include this anywhere on your application but it could be something to bring up in an interview. I would take care not to name drop the fact that it was a duke professor though. Rather you could use it as an example of how being a non traditional student, you went out of your way to learn what is taught in medical school level classes and how interesting you found it.

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't include this anywhere on your application but it could be something to bring up in an interview. I would take care not to name drop the fact that it was a duke professor though. Rather you could use it as an example of how being a non traditional student, you went out of your way to learn what is taught in medical school level classes and how interesting you found it.
My bad on the name dropping, it was not my intent for that purpose but rather to show the level of the teaching faculty. Thank you for the reminder though - very valid.

What about in secondaries if asked what I've done since premed prereqs if not still in school? I work full time (45+) and volunteer plus have hobbies.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you are getting the certificates I would not put it on the primary. They don't assign a grade or even confirm your participation without those.

I did mention it peripherally during interviews or mentioned it in a secondary in passing.

Reactions: 1 user
My bad on the name dropping, it was not my intent for that purpose but rather to show the level of the teaching faculty. Thank you for the reminder though - very valid.

What about in secondaries if asked what I've done since premed prereqs if not still in school? I work full time (45+) and volunteer plus have hobbies.

Do you have other medical related activities to include in secondary applications? To be frank, there should be much stronger things you should be discussing in your secondaries (shadowing, research, volunteering). Even non medical related things like working full time can be used in your secondaries to exemplify character traits like commitment and perseverance that admissions committees are looking for.

If you have room in your secondaries it can't hurt to include it, but I feel your time would be better spent highlighting things like your full time work, volunteering, and research experiences. The coursera course you are describing would be an interesting talking point during the course of an interview, but I don't think would be a strong use of the limited space you have in secondary essays.

Unless you are getting the certificates I would not put it on the primary. I did mention it peripherally during interviews or mentioned it in a secondary in passing.

I was thinking more along the lines of secondaries and/or in interviews should I get one (or 2 or...). Do you think it helped/hindered/neutral?

Do you have other medical related activities to include in secondary applications?
1. 10,000+ hours volunteering for cleft palate surgery, Ronald McDonald house, inner city children (Packs n Snacks soon taken over by Target Corp), meals on wheels, animal rescue/rehab/rehome (draft horses), ARC disaster services volunteer, and on and on and on

2. Board of Directors for cleft palate surgery group

3. Former Rotarian that put water wells in Peruvian villages

4. In college: athlete, student senator, editor of school paper, sorority sister (service sorority focusing on homeless/challenged teenagers)

5. Former executive reporting to Board of Directors for SEC registrant + consulting

FWIW, I'm ultra-nontrad student and my app is already done (thankfully, AAMC has the courtesy of not making us write everything down from prior cycle... because mine was lengthy) was just thinking maybe there was a way to show that while I'm not in school right now, I AM staying in touch with science courses at some level whether medical school taught or not.

I was thinking more along the lines of secondaries and/or in interviews should I get one (or 2 or...). Do you think it helped/hindered/neutral?

1. 10,000+ hours volunteering for cleft palate surgery, Ronald McDonald house, inner city children (Packs n Snacks soon taken over by Target Corp), meals on wheels, animal rescue/rehab/rehome (draft horses), ARC disaster services volunteer, and on and on and on

4. In college: athlete, student senator, editor of school paper, sorority sister (service sorority focusing on homeless/challenged teenagers)

Again, as I'm sitting here taking the courses, and loving them, I was simply wondering if there was a place/time to bring them up. FWIW, I'm ultra-nontrad student.
Honestly I don't think it is worth much impact. It's like telling someone you watched YouTube videos on a particular subject . The question was about what do you do in your free time and I replied with among other things I'm learning how to program in Python and r through some online moocs.

Again, as I'm sitting here taking the courses, and loving them, I was simply wondering if there was a place/time to bring them up. FWIW, I'm ultra-nontrad student.

Any space devoted to Coursera in your application would be doing a disservice to all these truly remarkable EC's:)

It's like telling someone you watched YouTube videos on a particular subject.
Except for the fact that I'm tested on material, given a final exam and for the medical neuroscience had to get a 70% on pre-qual exam to even register for it (got 100%).

And your point re: YT videos was my point with naming the school and faculty. I do hear what both of you are saying though. Thank you!

Any space devoted to Coursera in your application would be doing a disservice to all these truly remarkable EC's:)

Thank you! It feels like I've not done enough - still so much left to do in my life to help others in whatever way I can (hopefully, as a doc).

Except for the fact that I'm tested on material, given a final exam and for the medical neuroscience had to get a 70% on pre-qual exam to even register for it (got 100%).

And your point re: YT videos was my point with naming the school and faculty. I do hear what both of you are saying though. Thank you!
Yeah, you don't have to do that. You can sign up for as many moocs as you want and not complete the course. Plus the quality of courses vary drastically and the effort required. I just said it was a hobby or something I do to kill time. I would focus on the MCAT to prevent any question about academic ability to do med school. Once that question is answered focus on the soft skills and actual results of projects. No one really cares about you taking classes unless they are from a college and grades are assigned.

The Duke physiology course is amazing (I took it on campus). Super helpful for MCAT prep in the bio section.

The Duke physiology course is amazing (I took it on campus). Super helpful for MCAT prep in the bio section.
I LOVE that professor (Dr. Jakoi?) - many missing pieces of my knowledge are already filled in. She's so thorough. Thank you for reinforcing my thought that it would help with the MCAT (I was not able to register for physio at my university because I'm non-degree seeking so this seemed like a good alternative).

I LOVE that professor (Dr. Jakoi?) - many missing pieces of my knowledge are already filled in. She's so thorough. Thank you for reinforcing my thought that it would help with the MCAT (I was not able to register for physio at my university because I'm non-degree seeking so this seemed like a good alternative).

Yes Dr Jakoi is so helpful with putting all the pieces together...I believe she also teaches at Duke Med School.