Coursework Abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tadeo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Here is my situation. For one semester I did a field study where I traveled to South America. I enrolled in my classes through my regular university (in the US-the only one I have ever attend). I received grades on my transcript just like it were any other semester, and by looking at my transcript you would never guess that I had traveled abroad. Here is a vague reproduction of my transcript:

Mentored Research 7.0 credit hours Grade A-
Major Project 3.0 credit hours Grade A
Cultural Exposure 2.0 credit hours Grade B

Here is the situation:
In the second section of the application (Schools Attended) I am asked: "Have you ever taken foreign coursework including a study abroad course?"

1. How do I correctly answer the question?
2. What are the consequences of a yes answer?
3. What are the consequences of a no answer?

Thanks for all of your help,
Tadeo

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the same boat with a similar type of course...any input would be appreciated

Thanks

See pages 24, 25 and 59 on the AMCAS Application Instructions Pdf regarding study abroad course work:

http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2008amcasinstructionsrevised.pdf

Personally, I think it's ambiguous. But on page 59, it sounds like by "study abroad" they mean a program through a foreign school (possibly sponsored by your home institution). I.e., they ask that you separately list the course work under the foreign school's name. My guess is that if the study abroad was NOT through a foreign institution, and was actually taught by profs from your school, and counted as credits taken at your home institution, then perhaps it doesn't count as a "study abroad" program per the AMCAS classification.

But to be certain, DEFINITELY call AMCAS and ask. They're pretty helpful by phone. And if you hear one way or another, please post back so others can find this thread. Thanks, and good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Phoenix,

Thanks for the suggestion. I called up AMCAS and they were VERY friendly. I was told that as the courses in which I was enrolled were NOT through any other institution (ie taught by professors from my US based university) than I am to chose no. Were I to chose yes I would be required to produce another transcript from the foreign institution.

Thanks a ton,
Tadeo

Tadeo: You're very welcome. I also found AMCAS to be very helpful by phone. And I'm VERY glad they confirmed my interpretation, because that's how I filled out my app, and I've already been verified. Good luck with your application.