Covering the Uninsured Event

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureERDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDNers,

I wanted to post this email I recieved from an AMSA intern about an event in the spring to push for health insurance for the uninsured. It is sponsered by the RWJ foundation and promoted by past presidents Ford and Carter. As premeds, we should become involved with these types of issues and have our voices heard, whether we agree or not. We are the physicians of the future, and our behavior will shape the future of healthcare. Physicians have the ability to make a big difference in the lives of others and now the time to develop the habit of a physician-activist. Go to www.amsa.org or CoverTheUninsuredWeek.org
if you want more information.

------------------Forwarded Message---------------------------
Hey all,
Just wanted to remind you to get the word out about "Covering the Uninsured Week," which will be held from March 10-16. For those of you who have not heard about this, it's a campaign launched to raise public awareness of the plight of more than 41 million Americans, generate significant media attention to this issue, and create a single rallying point for groups and individuals working to extend health care coverage to the uninsured. The week will begin with a national event in D.C. but events during the week will be held all across the country - in 27 different cities. Each event will highlight different groups - which includes health care providers and health and medical education groups.

Here are the cities:
1. Atlanta 2. Austin
3. Boston 4. Chicago
5. Cleveland 6. Columbus
7. Denver 8. Des Moines
9. Detroit 10. Helena
11. Little Rock 12. Los Angeles
13. Manchester (NH) 14. Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
15. Minneapolis/St. Paul 16. New York City
17. Philadelphia/Trenton 18. Pittsburgh
19. Portland (ME) 20. Portland (OR)
21. Sacramento 22. Salt Lake City
23. San Diego 24. San Francisco
25. Seattle/Tacoma 26. Sioux Falls (SD)
27. St. Louis

For more information, you can also check out: CoverTheUninsuredWeek.org
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

they're not even coming to my state....what do you want me to do?

Members don't see this ad :)
i think this is great, and i'll keep bumping it 'cause this info would be great to stay where everyone can see it.
but yeah . .there's really no response called for, no question asked. . just a wonderful and welcome informative thread.

by the way. . .
yes.
i do want to make a difference. ;)

:D aww sorry, but really thanks, i guess most of the people here are applying, after they get accepted then......
but thanks

Thank you care bear...you are right, there is not specific question in this thread, but I have seen others with questions, and sometimes it gets a bit fustrating to see the premed tunnel vision.
...or maybe I am just anal... I've been told that before!:laugh:

Originally posted by FutureERDoc
Why is it that premeds seem to care exclusively about getting in here and there and who has what MCAT score and GPA, and where so and so got accepted to and whether or not they think someone is getting an advantage because they are an URM, but not one stinkin' response on this thread or most of the other ones on the state of the health care system? Are premeds just a bunch of selfish, cut throat people? Where are the people are are actually going into medicine to change things and make a difference? There must be something wrong with me.....

very sad....

:( I got this email long ago and I'm thinking about working on it. :(

i was thinking of going or at least getting more information about it, but the date is so far in the future that i didn't really feel the need to respond to the post. hopefully someone'll bump this thread as the date approaches. at the moment i don't really have time to get more involved, but i would like to show my support.