COVID-19 AACOMAS ESSAY PROMPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted988803

Hey all!
I was in contact with the admissions staff at ICOM and figured you all would like to have this as well:

Additional COVID-19 Questions (Optional)

1. Did your school move to offering only online curriculum during the COVID-19 crisis?
  2. Did you have an opportunity to receive a letter grade for any of your courses taken during the COVID-19 crisis?
  3. Please describe how COVID-19 has impacted your pathway to medical school. (2500 characters) Items to consider incorporating in your response may include but are not limited to:
    • Academic: Were you able to interact with your professors? Did you have to leave an academic program stateside or abroad? Did your school require you to move to pass/fail grading systems? Did your MCAT exam get cancelled, delayed? Other academic barriers?
    • Professional: Did you hold a job? Did have to go out and seek new job opportunities? Did you lose a job? Other financial or professional barriers that you faced?
    • Personal: Did you have to move out of a house or dorm? Did you have to cancel travel plans? Did you modify your planned experiences related to healthcare or volunteer opportunities? Did you seek out volunteer opportunities that arose from the crisis? Did you assist any family or community members that were affected
If you attended the 4/24 ChooseDO session this will look familiar, however, they neglected to release it after the stream.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all!
I was in contact with the admissions staff at ICOM and figured you all would like to have this as well:

Additional COVID-19 Questions (Optional)

1. Did your school move to offering only online curriculum during the COVID-19 crisis?
  2. Did you have an opportunity to receive a letter grade for any of your courses taken during the COVID-19 crisis?
  3. Please describe how COVID-19 has impacted your pathway to medical school. (2500 characters) Items to consider incorporating in your response may include but are not limited to:
    • Academic: Were you able to interact with your professors? Did you have to leave an academic program stateside or abroad? Did your school require you to move to pass/fail grading systems? Did your MCAT exam get cancelled, delayed? Other academic barriers?
    • Professional: Did you hold a job? Did have to go out and seek new job opportunities? Did you lose a job? Other financial or professional barriers that you faced?
    • Personal: Did you have to move out of a house or dorm? Did you have to cancel travel plans? Did you modify your planned experiences related to healthcare or volunteer opportunities? Did you seek out volunteer opportunities that arose from the crisis? Did you assist any family or community members that were affected
If you attended the 4/24 ChooseDO session this will look familiar, however, they neglected to release it after the stream.
So does an "optional" essay essential mean if we don't do it it will look bad?

Reactions: 1 user
So does an "optional" essay essential mean if we don't do it it will look bad?
No, it shouldn't look bad at all. It shouldn't have significantly impacted people's path to medical school as it was pretty close to a new cycle.

I think it would be rather exploitative to suddenly acquire 'profound' insight due to covid. Fortunately, the prompt is straightforward and just asking what changed from your routine. Of course, there's going to be people who run with it: "COVID-19 turned my whole life upside-down..." -- for this reason I think being calm and collected, showing maturity, and being honest about what exactly happened would be the way to go. Otherwise, you can just leave it blank.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Would anybody be wiling to give me feedback on my responses to this question? I answered the personal and the professional part. Thank you.

Wow, it really seems like no one wants to help.

Chill. What's wrong?
Lol nothing is wrong. I just wanted to see if anybody can look at the answers that I have for the Covid essay so I can get some solid feedback on it before submitting it.

Would anybody be wiling to give me feedback on my responses to this question? I answered the personal and the professional part. Thank you.

Hey there, just came across this thread. I'll help you take a look if you haven't already submitted.

Hey there, just came across this thread. I'll help you take a look if you haven't already submitted.
Lol. I appreciate it, but I waited over a week and nobody wanted to help me so I just ended up submitting it last night without doing the essay.