COVID-19 and impact on school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone have info on when we might be allowed to get vaccinated? I saw that the AVMA was advocating for veterinary personnel to be included in the batch of people after healthcare workers, but an actual update was never provided. I assume vet schools would be included in that general category for schools that also function as a hospital. My thought is that we might be allowed under phase 1B or 1C.
Yeah 100% depends on your state. Vets aren't in any special category in TN so unless you have one of the conditions that they've labelled higher risk, you go with your age category. Which for me means like late summer at the earliest unless they accept my cerebral vascular disease claim (not sure if a previous CVST counts, I have to look into it more).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have info on when we might be allowed to get vaccinated? I saw that the AVMA was advocating for veterinary personnel to be included in the batch of people after healthcare workers, but an actual update was never provided. I assume vet schools would be included in that general category for schools that also function as a hospital. My thought is that we might be allowed under phase 1B or 1C.
Illinois 4th years were offered to sign up for vaccines with the faculty and staff. Looks like we will be vaccinated January/February for our first doses

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely depends on state, but yesterday I learned that in VA vets and staff will be within the next month because our practice manager was making a list of everyone that wants it

Illinois 4th years were offered to sign up for vaccines with the faculty and staff. Looks like we will be vaccinated January/February for our first doses
Piggy backing on this, I'm not sure about the vet students in general, but I know that any vet students at MN who are part of the MN Medical Reserve Corps can get vaccinated soon if we're helping out with [COVID-19] vaccination clinics. I'm getting my first dose next week.

I'm getting mine Saturday!

VMCVM is saying they aren't sure yet when they'll be able to vaccinate students for sure, but they had us fill out an interest survey so they can get an idea for planning. But either way I should be able to get vaccinated within the next month since I'm employed by a Virginia vet clinic!

So they took our spring break away and gave us three “mental health days” but the second two third years don’t even get because one is during milestone exam week and the other is during clinics (online clinics). Thought we were at least gonna still get the one. Nope. If you have junior surgery that week, you still have animal care stuff and soaps on that wellness day. So uh, **** our mental health right before clinics I guess?

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 11 users
So they took our spring break away and gave us three “mental health days” but the second two third years don’t even get because one is during milestone exam week and the other is during clinics (online clinics). Thought we were at least gonna still get the one. Nope. If you have junior surgery that week, you still have animal care stuff and soaps on that wellness day. So uh, **** our mental health right before clinics I guess?
In what world is three mental health days equivalent to spring break? that's not even the same number of days off???

Reactions: 5 users
In what world is three mental health days equivalent to spring break? that's not even the same number of days off???
We got two. One is the Friday that would have been the end of spring break. The other is March 2nd. You know, a random Tuesday in a week where we have exams Monday and Friday anyway. It's not a mental health day, it's a cramming day.

But unlike SkiOtter, I do actually get to take my two days, and I'm relieved to have them. Not getting them at all? I'm so sorry.

We get four “learning break” days - two in February and two in March. They made sure to put them in the middle of the week to discourage travel.... if it’s anything like every other holiday, we’ll still have the same exact work load as every other week. One professor explicitly stated he will not be reducing content, as we have too much to cover. So while we may not have live zoom sessions, it won’t feel like much of a break 😓.

Members don't see this ad :)
KSU did the same thing. They took away spring break and instead gave us 2 mental health days. Unfortunately for undergrads, they actually only decided on one and are having the professors try and collaborate on another. Luckily the vet school decided we deserve 2 and went against main campus and are giving us 2 whole mental health days. Both on Fridays.

We got two. One is the Friday that would have been the end of spring break. The other is March 2nd. You know, a random Tuesday in a week where we have exams Monday and Friday anyway. It's not a mental health day, it's a cramming day.

But unlike SkiOtter, I do actually get to take my two days, and I'm relieved to have them. Not getting them at all? I'm so sorry.
Ours specifically aren’t even Fridays so there is no long weekend for travel 😐

At ISU we got lucky and voted to start a week earlier than undergrad and have two 4-day weekends instead of spring break.

Ski, sorry to hear that. Sometimes I don’t get why they do that, like it’s really not that helpful

• Wow
KSU did the same thing. They took away spring break and instead gave us 2 mental health days. Unfortunately for undergrads, they actually only decided on one and are having the professors try and collaborate on another. Luckily the vet school decided we deserve 2 and went against main campus and are giving us 2 whole mental health days. Both on Fridays.
As a KSU undergrad, I’m still mad about that. I know we start the spring semester a week later (so the days off basically even out), but spring break exists for a reason. We need a week-long break to recuperate from the 1st half of the semester. I’m dreading 16 straight weeks of classes with 1 mental health day (that one of my professors already said they would not be honoring).

• Wow
  • Sad
As a KSU undergrad, I’m still mad about that. I know we start the spring semester a week later (so the days off basically even out), but spring break exists for a reason. We need a week-long break to recuperate from the 1st half of the semester. I’m dreading 16 straight weeks of classes with 1 mental health day (that one of my professors already said they would not be honoring).

I am so sorry. We were all very upset when thy mad that decision and were hoping your professors could figure out something for the 2nd day. I completely agree. An extra week of winter break is not the same. Especially for the students who then do summer classes or go straight into clinics. my next vacation won't be until August now.

• Care
Is this even allowed? Like I straight up would bring it up to the school because that’s not okay for them to just ignore it unless the school said it was only suggested to have it
I double-checked the syllabus, and my professor said that we will still have homework due that day and a pre-recorded lecture to watch (it’s a MWF mostly asynchronous class, so I would’ve had a pre-recorded lecture to watch anyways). So I guess “technically” I can watch the lecture and do that homework assignment on a different day. Still not much of a break, but I guess it’s not as bad as it could be.

Ski, your situation is way worse, so I am sending you virtual hugs. At least I get 1 “off” day this semester.

• Care
One of our profs told us that even though we wouldn't be meeting for class because of a university-instituted reading day, they were still going to release an online lecture that day...Sir, do you know what a reading day is :laugh:

But in all seriousness, we supposedly have three reading days built in, but we'll see how that goes.:shrug:
Sending good vibes to everyone, because not having any break at all during a semester is rough.

• Angry
  • Wow
One of our profs told us that even though we wouldn't be meeting for class because of a university-instituted reading day, they were still going to release an online lecture that day...Sir, do you know what a reading day is :laugh:

But in all seriousness, we supposedly have three reading days built in, but we'll see how that goes.:shrug:
Sending good vibes to everyone, because not having any break at all during a semester is rough.
This stuff cracks me up. We have our random Tuesday, March 2 holiday that's supposed to somehow compensate us for the lack of a spring break... but there have been mandatory make-up lectures and labs for what we would normally have had that day. It doesn't seem like it's really a holiday if we have to make it up?

That said, I must admit I'm already looking forward to sleeping late that day (and having the extra time to study for Friday's exam). So I suppose that counts as a morale boost. :shrug:

Ugh I complain about my school frequently but honestly our new dean is amazing and really good to the students :/ they kept spring break for us.
Sorry for those that don't get that. I think it's really unfortunate that people in charge can sometimes act as if the students are all machines.

Reactions: 4 users
We're not getting a traditional spring break either. BUT we do have 4 Fridays completely off!

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

Dr. Hannon scheduled a quiz on one of the reading days, and we told him and he basically was like "wait, were actually using those?" :X3:

Ugh I complain about my school frequently but honestly our new dean is amazing and really good to the students :/ they kept spring break for us.
Sorry for those that don't get that. I think it's really unfortunate that people in charge can sometimes act as if the students are all machines.
I think illinois couldn't because it was the main university chancellor who decided that and we have to follow their rules in general. They also had us start a week late so they would’ve also had to change our start date back (and different from main U) to keep our break

Dr. Hannon scheduled a quiz on one of the reading days, and we told him and he basically was like "wait, were actually using those?" :X3:

That's a very Dr. Hannon thing to say :laugh: Can't say I'm surprised.

I think illinois couldn't because it was the main university chancellor who decided that and we have to follow their rules in general. They also had us start a week late so they would’ve also had to change our start date back (and different from main U) to keep our break
Yeah, we started a week earlier than the undergrads who lost their spring break.

This stuff cracks me up. We have our random Tuesday, March 2 holiday that's supposed to somehow compensate us for the lack of a spring break... but there have been mandatory make-up lectures and labs for what we would normally have had that day. It doesn't seem like it's really a holiday if we have to make it up?
hey that's Texas Independence Day :laugh: