COVID-19 and impact on school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It was just announced that we will be starting the spring semester 2 weeks later on January 25th and will not be having a spring break so basically this is going to be the longest winter break ever since they made it so we finish finals before Thanksgiving

Basically same. Our school is giving us the option of doing external clinical rotations for credit over winter break if we can find them though.
 
Yup. We were supposed to go back January 6th after winter break, but that's been shifted to January 19th now. Little bit nervous because it was originally the 6th so that our semester was moved forward and we could have a 1 week break between 3rd year finals and the start of clinics. Wondering if they're going to make us go to clinics right after finals now :dead:
 
mfw
72895518.jpg
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yup. We were supposed to go back January 6th after winter break, but that's been shifted to January 19th now. Little bit nervous because it was originally the 6th so that our semester was moved forward and we could have a 1 week break between 3rd year finals and the start of clinics. Wondering if they're going to make us go to clinics right after finals now :dead:
Our school has yet to suggest anything like that and I hope we get to keep our current spring break because hubs and I have tentative plans and I could really use that break before ya know clinics:dead:
Feeling for you both @Amanasoul & @Barkley13
 
mfw
72895518.jpg

We got informed, like, today and I'm :help:

Our school has yet to suggest anything like that and I hope we get to keep our current spring break because hubs and I have tentative plans and I could really use that break before ya know clinics:dead:

They took away our spring break already so I'm very sad about that but what can ya do. That's why I need the one week break between 3rd year and clinics.
 
We've been testing 2x/week. Data is showing the undergrads are 95%+ of new cases (shocker). So now graduate/professional students are only required to test 1x per week except for 4th years (and I imagine clinical year med students). We still have to do 2x/week.

Unfortunately, it sounds like we wont have 1st years on rotations with us and that they will be doing only the core rotations required in 1st and 2nd year rotations. :/ I'm hoping we get the 2nd years in January.
 
I haven't been on in a while and haven't gone to far back in the thread but what are everyones 1st/2nd year experiences right now? WesternU is completely online and I feel like we are one of the few schools in this situation.
 
I haven't been on in a while and haven't gone to far back in the thread but what are everyones 1st/2nd year experiences right now? WesternU is completely online and I feel like we are one of the few schools in this situation.

I know that Michigan State University is also completely online.
UW-Madison is hybrid and is currently under a campus wide online switch for two weeks to reduce cases, but the vet school got an exemption after a day so we are in hybrid mode again.
 
I haven't been on in a while and haven't gone to far back in the thread but what are everyones 1st/2nd year experiences right now? WesternU is completely online and I feel like we are one of the few schools in this situation.
I'm a first year at WSU and we're hybrid until Thanksgiving, and then online for the rest of the semester. Have no idea about spring semester yet.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone currently at Ross that has any idea what they will do for the spring semester? The advisors keep saying the will know in the next few weeks but they have been saying that for at least a month. I will be starting first semester and not knowing is making me so anxious
 
Anyone currently at Ross that has any idea what they will do for the spring semester? The advisors keep saying the will know in the next few weeks but they have been saying that for at least a month. I will be starting first semester and not knowing is making me so anxious
No idea honestly, a lot of it is very dependent on the government. The island hasn’t had any active cases the last three months or so, so they’re being very cautious. Borders are potentially opening up next month (but there hasn’t been updates recently) but will have to do Covid testing (PCR) and 2 week quarantine. But who knows if they will stay open if cases do start occurring again... Worst case scenario, if borders are closed, is there may only be select semesters flown back in via charter like this semester (that’s just my thought). We have a town hall later this week so hoping to learn more, I’m currently off island.

I’m sorry, I know it’s a very stressful situation 🙁
 
No idea honestly, a lot of it is very dependent on the government. The island hasn’t had any active cases the last three months or so, so they’re being very cautious. Borders are potentially opening up next month (but there hasn’t been updates recently) but will have to do Covid testing (PCR) and 2 week quarantine. But who knows if they will stay open if cases do start occurring again... Worst case scenario, if borders are closed, is there may only be select semesters flown back in via charter like this semester (that’s just my thought). We have a town hall later this week so hoping to learn more, I’m currently off island.

I’m sorry, I know it’s a very stressful situation 🙁
That seems like more info then I have gotten so I appreciate it! I was talking to a few Ross alumni and we were all wondering if they end up allowing everyone on the island in January if they would have to stagger the start times like they did this semester. Hopefully, we will find out more soon!
 
I was looking back at this thread and saw this.
My school actually RAISED tuition this year, to the tune of about $1,100 per semester. :lame:
Same. My school raised it by the usual amount of like $1,600 or so per year but gave us all grants of $1,000 to partially offset it. That honestly made me even more upset.
 
Vet Prep & first semester at Ross entirely online in the spring. Still waiting to hear about everyone else (two classes have already been flown back though). My class will definitely be heading back in spring because we’re almost done on island and have to do our OSCE, aseptic exam, surgery labs, etc., but it sounds like only labs will be in person. Lectures almost certainly online because not able to socially distance on campus as would be required by the government. We don’t have a spring break, so no changes there.
 
They sent out a survey recently because the vet school is thinking of starting a week earlier than main campus and having two 4 day weekends for a little bit of a break instead of having no breaks the whole semester like main campus so crossing my fingers for that :xf:

Also our simulated client interaction things this semester are over zoom and the lady asked me if I had a kid because she could hear noise in the background and I had to explain to her that my dogs were just snoring really loud lol :smack::laugh:
 
They sent out a survey recently because the vet school is thinking of starting a week earlier than main campus and having two 4 day weekends for a little bit of a break instead of having no breaks the whole semester like main campus so crossing my fingers for that :xf:

Also our simulated client interaction things this semester are over zoom and the lady asked me if I had a kid because she could hear noise in the background and I had to explain to her that my dogs were just snoring really loud lol :smack::laugh:
Your school's solution sounds great. I hope ours follows suit
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Have no idea about spring semester yet.
Your school's solution sounds great. I hope ours follows suit

We met with some USU SVM admin last Friday and they are pushing to replace spring break with long weekends to dissuade travel. There seemed to be some consensus between them and WSU, but nothing has been confirmed as they just submitted the proposed schedule to WSU.

They asked for feedback and my OOS classmates were understandably upset as most of them left family at home. There was some talk that the SVM may have spring break if we can keep COVID numbers low regardless of what USU as a whole does.

Then again, we're still surviving with in-person class and labs (for now) and the COVID situation seems different at WSU.
 
We met with some USU SVM admin last Friday and they are pushing to replace spring break with long weekends to dissuade travel. There seemed to be some consensus between them and WSU, but nothing has been confirmed as they just submitted the proposed schedule to WSU.

They asked for feedback and my OOS classmates were understandably upset as most of them left family at home. There was some talk that the SVM may have spring break if we can keep COVID numbers low regardless of what USU as a whole does.

Then again, we're still surviving with in-person class and labs (for now) and the COVID situation seems different at WSU.
I've heard talk about WSU overall wanting to cancel spring break and start spring semester classes 2 weeks late, however my professors have expressed that this wouldn't really work for our program, we wouldn't have enough time to complete the material. So we'll see. :shrug:
 
We met with some USU SVM admin last Friday and they are pushing to replace spring break with long weekends to dissuade travel. There seemed to be some consensus between them and WSU, but nothing has been confirmed as they just submitted the proposed schedule to WSU.

They asked for feedback and my OOS classmates were understandably upset as most of them left family at home. There was some talk that the SVM may have spring break if we can keep COVID numbers low regardless of what USU as a whole does.

Then again, we're still surviving with in-person class and labs (for now) and the COVID situation seems different at WSU.
Yeah as far as WSU it sounds like we will be online again in spring (official announcement Thursday supposedly). The problem with COVID at WSU from what I know is the frats&sororities so salty it's affecting us. Especially because if we are online what's the point of cancelling spring break?
 
UW SVM announced pushing back the start of next semester by a week so I guess on the bright side, we now have a three week holiday break but we don't have a spring break. They said they would try to schedule exams and synchronous times so that we have a few three days weekends throughout the semester so I'm glad they are putting that into consideration.
 
Update: they finally told us what’s happening with classes after thanksgiving.
Classes are all online, exams are online, TBD on what’s happening with our labs and if they’re going to be pushed to after christmas or not. I’m hoping so since that’s the only reason I’d have to come back after thanksgiving.
 
Update: they finally told us what’s happening with classes after thanksgiving.
Classes are all online, exams are online, TBD on what’s happening with our labs and if they’re going to be pushed to after christmas or not. I’m hoping so since that’s the only reason I’d have to come back after thanksgiving.
Oh wow, I can't imagine still not knowing for sure what the end of the semester will look like! They decided over the summer for us that rather than debating how to handle things after Thanksgiving break, our finals will be up to the day before Thanksgiving and we'll just finish then. We'll get a somewhat extended winter break, but we started back early in August so we really didn't lose any time.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I wasn’t stressed enough already, the Chief Veterinary Officer for St. Kitts said that any animals brought back to island will be quarantined with their owners and if the owner ends up testing positive during any point in the quarantine period they test your pets. If the pets are positive the government seizes your pets and won’t release them until they test negative (PCR). If still positive five months later, they euthanize them.

Am supposed to be flying back Dec 5 and bringing my dog and cat. I’m taking lots of precautions to not get Covid and will be getting tested prior to travel (I have to actually, for them to let me into the country), but now I’m even more paranoid that I’ll pick it up while traveling. I know transmission between humans and animals is rare but it has happened. I don’t think I would ever forgive myself if I brought them along and they ended up getting euthanized. This just adds an entire other layer of stress I wasn’t expecting. Now I have to figure out what I’m going to do.
 
If I wasn’t stressed enough already, the Chief Veterinary Officer for St. Kitts said that any animals brought back to island will be quarantined with their owners and if the owner ends up testing positive during any point in the quarantine period they test your pets. If the pets are positive the government seizes your pets and won’t release them until they test negative (PCR). If still positive five months later, they euthanize them.

Am supposed to be flying back Dec 5 and bringing my dog and cat. I’m taking lots of precautions to not get Covid and will be getting tested prior to travel (I have to actually, for them to let me into the country), but now I’m even more paranoid that I’ll pick it up while traveling. I know transmission between humans and animals is rare but it has happened. I don’t think I would ever forgive myself if I brought them along and they ended up getting euthanized. This just adds an entire other layer of stress I wasn’t expecting. Now I have to figure out what I’m going to do.

I have nothing but empathy for how hard this makes things for you, but I’m also 100% sure I would not take my pets back to that island. Not worth that risk because clearly it’s a policy completely not backed by any sort of science or reason.