COVID-19 and impact on school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CoffeeQuestionMark

WSU c/o 2023
5+ Year Member
Contest Winner!
Reaction score
Schools that have moved online:
  • MichSU (rest of semester)
  • OhioSU
  • UW-Madison
  • IowaSU (rest of semester)
  • Cornell
  • WSU (rest of semester)
  • Tufts
  • UPenn
  • CSU (rest of semester)
  • UMN
  • VMCVM
  • OregSU (rest of quarter)
  • UTenn
  • Western U
  • KSU
  • St George
  • UF (labs still ongoing)
  • UI (rest of semester)
  • OklaSU
  • Ross
  • Texas A&M (rest of semester)
  • LSU
  • Purdue (rest of semester)
  • Midwestern (temporarily?)
  • Davis (temporarily?)
  • WCVM (rest of semester)
  • AVC (rest of semester)
  • NCSU??
  • Dublin???
  • Sydney
Emergency Only VTHs
  • VMCVM
  • UW
  • UI
  • UPenn
  • Cornell
  • WSU (not completely; medically necessary appointments still accepted)
  • UTenn
  • KSU
  • Dublin
  • OregonSU
  • Davis
  • IowaSU
  • OklaSU
Cancelled Clinics
  • MichSU
  • UI
  • NCSU
  • WSU (+ summer research programs)
  • UPenn
  • OhioSU
  • Tufts
  • VMCVM
  • Dublin
  • OregonSU
  • CSU
  • Sydney
  • UF
  • UCVM
  • RVC
State/Country Regulations
  • Washington - Nonessential businesses shut (gyms, theaters, salons, etc); restaurants take-out/delivery only; elective medical procedures banned
  • California - Lockdown - residents should not leave home unless necessary or for exercise
  • Pennsylvania - Nonessential businesses shut (gyms, theaters, salons, etc); restaurants take-out/delivery only
  • Massachusetts - Nonessential businesses shut (gyms, theaters, salons, etc); restaurants take-out/delivery only
  • Illinois - Lockdown - residents should not leave home unless necessary or for exercise
  • New York - Lockdown - residents should not leave home unless necessary or for exercise
  • Connecticut - Lockdown - residents should not leave home unless necessary or for exercise
  • Louisiana - Nonessential businesses shut (gyms, theaters, salons, etc); restaurants take-out/delivery only
  • Minnesota - Nonessential businesses shut (gyms, theaters, salons, etc); restaurants take-out/delivery only; Grocery store workers have access to emergency free child care
  • New Jersey - CURFEW 8PM - 5AM. Nonessential businesses shut (gyms, theaters, salons, etc); restaurants take-out/delivery only
  • Michigan - Nonessential businesses shut (gyms, theaters, salons, etc); restaurants take-out/delivery only; elective medical procedures banned
  • Texas - Nonessential businesses shut (gyms, theaters, salons, etc); restaurants take-out/delivery only
  • Montana - Restaurants take-out/delivery only; non-essential businesses open if less than 50 gather
  • Maryland - Nonessential businesses shut (gyms, theaters, salons, etc); restaurants take-out/delivery only
All other states currently vary by county.

Resources

I'd like to hear from people on their thoughts about the impact of COVID-19 on our education

I for one am at WSU and we are currently operating but for the past week, instructors have starting informing of us about how the virus may impact the rest of the semester. Yesterday, faculty met to discuss conversion to an online system.

However, the way they have been speaking, it has not been an "if" this happens, it has been a "when" this happens.

For most of our classes, it won't be an issue. It effects the labs the hardest, and *especially* the 3rd years, who are doing clinical training in their labs.
I'm not sure how these are going to be made up. I'm not sure how I'll be able to explain to anyone in the future that I learned my equine anatomy online. It's not equivocal in the slightest.

For those of you at these schools, how are you feeling? Does anyone have a better idea of how this is going to work?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user
I'd like to hear from people on their I'm not sure how I'll be able to explain to anyone in the future that I learned my equine anatomy online. It's not equivocal in the slightest.

I learned a lot more of my equine anatomy during the rest of vet school in labs and clinics than I did during 1st year anatomy lab, trust me. ;)

Also, I was definitely just watching lectures at home for the most part at this point during 2nd and 3rd year as I was ridiculously burnt out of sitting in a lecture hall. Still went in for labs and things, of course. I lived, and as far as I know they are gonna let me walk across the stage in a few weeks. ;)

All that to say - it is definitely a crazy mess right now, and there will definitely be things that are awkward as everybody (faculty and admin included) scrambles to figure out how to adapt to all of this... but I really don’t think this hullabaloo will make as significant of a long term impact on everybody’s education as it may feel like right now. Especially with it being close-ish to the end of the semester.

Reactions: 10 users
I have been trying to read up on this all day as I’m shocked at the number of schools that have ceased classes. Look up Berea College!

That said I commend schools and workplaces taking measures to keep students safe and well. We have a culture of working ourselves much too hard and sacrificing our health too much. I don’t think people realize it but I think these measures will save a good number of lives.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As far as I know there are no plans to close campus here, but as a 4th year I'm definitely concerned how the hospital would be impacted if that were to happen. So far it's business as usual, other than a generic email about washing your hands, avoiding handshakes, etc. And of course they tell us to stay home if we're sick, but we still only get 5 days of personal leave for all of 4th year. :rolleyes: And if you miss more than 1-2 days of a rotation you have to make the days up later, or potentially repeat the entire rotation.

I've heard rumors of hospitals at other schools going to emergency only, which I feel like they'd have to do here if students weren't allowed to come in. So far I'm just really hoping this doesn't impact our ability to graduate on time, especially this late in the year with many people already having committed to starting jobs in June. I'm pretty sure there's only one reported case in Kansas right now, so hopefully it doesn't get to that point. However one of my friends was supposed to start an externship in Pennsylvania next week that just got canceled, not sure what she'll have to do to make up those credits.

Reactions: 1 users
And I'm feeling fine about it (from the perspective of lectures specifically). I did about 85% of my vet school didactic training via lecture capture.

I think labs are still going as scheduled here; if that changes, then I assume they'll find ways for people to make it up in the summer or something (which is a bummer, but...we are in a healthcare field and should be the most understanding about these things imo).

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Even assuming my graduation goes as planned, my in-laws may not make it because my FIL is immunosuppressed (he's had 2 kidney transplants). :( Of course they also haven't found a place to stay for it because everything in town booked up super early, and my MIL will look for any excuse to not leave their house, but that's a rant for another thread.

• Sad
Actually, honestly though. Seattle has banned gatherings of over 250 people. Other cities may follow suit.
I see degrees getting mailed out per SOP but actual commencement ceremonies being postponed to late 2020 to be frank. [Edit: E.g. holidays around Christmas might be higher yield for travel and job-related reasons.]

Last edited:
I see degrees getting mailed out per SOP but actual commencement ceremonies being postponed to late 2020 to be frank. [Edit: E.g. holidays around Christmas might be higher yield for travel and job-related reasons.]
Also higher plane costs for getting back to school :confused:

• Sad
If I was a second year, I don’t think I’d care. Being a third year, it kinda sucks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Penn has banned gatherings of over 100 people. But somehow the vet school’s classes are still continuing? I don’t know. They met yesterday morning and last evening to discuss continuing class online and I assume logistics of fourth years in rotations. We currently have a COVID patient in our human hospital so things are getting a little more serious.

Penn has banned gatherings of over 100 people. But somehow the vet school’s classes are still continuing? I don’t know. They met yesterday morning and last evening to discuss continuing class online and I assume logistics of fourth years in rotations. We currently have a COVID patient in our human hospital so things are getting a little more serious.
We also had one in our human hospital, but they were healthy enough to quarantine at home. I'm guessing our classes will transition to online only; they've sent out an email detailing that they're preparing for how to continue instruction online. They made it sound like a "just in case" situation, but I think OAA is just trying to take it one step at a time, even though they already know the end goal.

I'm curious as to how this will impact my learning and testing (especially for parasitology and large animal Anatomy lab).

They've made class mandatory online for undergrads here at Purdue after spring break. Still waiting on an update as far as veterinary school. Most likely our Open House will be cancelend. Not sure about our White Coat ceremony as of yet. :(

I'm in a frozen part of Canada where no cases have been found (yet), so to my knowledge there are no current intentions of shutting down classes, labs, etc. However, one of the first-year professors is stuck in another country that has basically been quarantined and they need to find a temporary replacement for him.

We also ran out of surgical masks a few days ago.

Add Tufts into the mix of schools who are online only now

I'm worried about what's going to happen to anatomy. They still don't know if they're taking away lab yet

• Sad
We (Colorado State) got an email from the dean of the vet school saying they are prepared to move to online instruction if necessary for first and second years. I think the biggest concern is the third and fourth years who have rotations. People are starting to freak out here because less than a week ago Colorado had zero cases and today there are 19 in the Denver area.

We (Colorado State) got an email from the dean of the vet school saying they are prepared to move to online instruction if necessary for first and second years. I think the biggest concern is the third and fourth years who have rotations. People are starting to freak out here because less than a week ago Colorado had zero cases and today there are 19 in the Denver area.
A similar thing is happening at Penn. They’re trying to figure out what to do with people on rotations. For snowstorms and things of that nature, they’re considered essential and still have to come in. But for something unprecedented like this, they’re figuring out if they would have to keep them from coming in and risking issues without graduation.

All of our classes are echo recorded anyways and about half the class usually watches from home on any given day so it doesn’t really affect my class that much (apart from labs - and not the ones in my avatar ;)).

We have a bit of an "industry day" type fundraiser for the graduating class today. A few companies had to pull out last minute because of the stuff going on with COVID. As DRider said though, we don't have any cases in the province yet, so they haven't really done anything else except sending some emails.

We were just told all public colleges in Iowa will be going online for at least two weeks after spring break and our surgeries will be cancelled. Our public health professor thinks it will be longer than that

• Sad
It's official, starting the 14th, everything at UW-Madison is online.

We were just told all public colleges in Iowa will be going online for at least two weeks after spring break and our surgeries will be cancelled. Our public health professor thinks it will be longer than that
Do a shelter rotation. You get more practice that way than you do in junior surgery.

Reactions: 5 users
It seems dependent on the professor here in Utah. Our school has sent out the standard please don't be gross and wash your hands email and most profs are running with a 'business as usual until it's not' mindset.

I find the dynamic COVID-19 has generated on campus to be the most interesting though? Two confirmed cases in Utah and one patient is being treated at a hospital less than a mile from the school. Since the news broke, the lounges are near empty, less than half of the students are actually showing up to lectures, and some profs are sending out their own "If you've so much as even thought about being sick in the past two weeks, please stay home and don't kill us all" panic emails at like 3 am.

I am interested how WSU will manage our incoming class this summer with how exponentially fast it seems to be spreading there. I'd be all for them cancelling COLE, but I'd be sad to miss out on the white coat ceremony.

• Sad
It seems dependent on the professor here in Utah. Our school has sent out the standard please don't be gross and wash your hands email and most profs are running with a 'business as usual until it's not' mindset.

I find the dynamic COVID-19 has generated on campus to be the most interesting though? Two confirmed cases in Utah and one patient is being treated at a hospital less than a mile from the school. Since the news broke, the lounges are near empty, less than half of the students are actually showing up to lectures, and some profs are sending out their own "If you've so much as even thought about being sick in the past two weeks, please stay home and don't kill us all" panic emails at like 3 am.

I am interested how WSU will manage our incoming class this summer with how exponentially fast it seems to be spreading there. I'd be all for them cancelling COLE, but I'd be sad to miss out on the white coat ceremony.
I hope they don't cancel the white coat ceremony :(

Why does it feel like the end of the world

Reactions: 7 users
All they’re doing is trying to extend the length of the epidemic to make sure tons of people aren’t getting it all at once. It feels a lot worse than it is, but the precautions are necessary to prevent tons of sick people from overloading hospitals in a short period of time. I know for a lot of you I’m preaching to the choir, but look up flattening the curve of you don’t already know what it is. It’s extremely important.

Reactions: 21 users
All they’re doing is trying to extend the length of the epidemic to make sure tons of people aren’t getting it all at once. It feels a lot worse than it is, but the precautions are necessary to prevent tons of sick people from overloading hospitals in a short period of time. I know for a lot of you I’m preaching to the choir, but look up flattening the curve of you don’t already know what it is. It’s extremely important.
Haha I know, I was thinking more hypothetically.

Haha I know, I was thinking more hypothetically.
I totally get it. It does feel very apocalyptic. But there are also a ton of people (mainly outside of medical fields) who see this happening and are wondering why, and jumping to conclusions. It’s important to let those people know that there’s way more to controlling an epidemic than reducing the total number of cases.

Because nothing like this has happened in our or our relatives’ lifetime
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Does h1n1 not qualify here??

OSU (Oregon) has no plans to cancel any university related activities as of right now, though I know they have been discussing it and preparing for it.

OSU (Oregon) has no plans to cancel any university related activities as of right now, though I know they have been discussing it and preparing for it.

H1N1, SARS, MERS, ebola, zika, H5N1... there's been a number.

Yeah that's why I was pretty confused. I distinctly remember h1n1 in my life time as someone on my soccer team had it. It's not like this is the first virus to ever infect or kill a lot of people.

Right, but this has officially been classified by the WHO as a pandemic now and it’s one of the more contagious viruses.
1583958403970.png

Reactions: 5 users
Many of us were too young to really see big effects from those. I know Zika was nothing major aside from recommending people avoid travel to central and South America and use mosquito repellent. H1N1 was big but not too much happened as a result, right? Was there widespread containment efforts like this for any of these? Obviously with SARS there wasn’t the capability to just go online. This is full in shutting down of many major universities.

Reactions: 4 users
Penn now will be doing all classes online. At the moment we're still allowed to come in for rotations but I have a really bad feeling about graduation:(

• Sad
Here at Illinois we haven’t heard much besides that they are preparing for a potential disruption to face to face instruction.
They didn’t mention any plans for anatomy labs or junior surgery, but they did state that as of now there is no plan to disrupt clinicals.

Many of us were too young to really see big effects from those. I know Zika was nothing major aside from recommending people avoid travel to central and South America and use mosquito repellent. H1N1 was big but not too much happened as a result, right? Was there widespread containment efforts like this for any of these? Obviously with SARS there wasn’t the capability to just go online. This is full in shutting down of many major universities.
Why not just take a quick google search?

Yes, there was widespread closure of hundreds of schools across the country during the h1n1 pandemic. And over a half million people died so I kinda dont see how that's "not too much happened".
Right, but this has officially been classified by the WHO as a pandemic now and it’s one of the more contagious viruses.
View attachment 298203
H1n1 was also classified by WHO has a pandemic and it's one of the closest comparisons to COVID-19 per your own infographic.

Last edited:
Why not just take a quick google search?

Yes, there was widespread closure of hundreds of schools across the country during the h1n1 pandemic. And over a half million people died so I kinda see how that's "not too much happened".
I was asking a serious question so that perhaps all of us who either don’t remember or weren’t in college during this could hear about it. And when I said “but not too much happened” I was asking a question based off of what I remembered going through and hearing on the news. But I seriously appreciate the snark.

CU Boulder and Denver have both moved (or have announced a move) to online classes, but the Anschutz Medical Campus is still open* :thumbup: ETA: Of the four CU campuses, all have announced they will be moving to online-only by the end of the month except Anschutz.

* Although important to note that a lot of my professors have been preparing for the possibility of moving online and quite a few of them believe we will be moving online soon

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Oh man, an influenza A without the neuraminidase component would be the laziest, most incompetent virus ever a la "You had one job!" Not unlike current leadership's response in many/most Western countries. We could call H1H1 the "hee hee flu" based on its laughable inability to do anything pathogenic.

(I know it was a typo, no worries.)

• Okay...
H1N1 was big but not too much happened as a result, right? Was there widespread containment efforts like this for any of these?
They shut down my whole office during the H1N1 outbreak because one of my co-workers was hospitalized with it (don't worry, she recovered)

But no, the precautionary measures for H1N1 were not nearly so wide-reaching. Maybe because we already had familiarity with influenza? I do remember being scared, though.

For the other big emerging diseases, they've been more geographically contained and don't spread quite as easily. Ebola is particularly terrible at being a viable virus, if you think about it.

Reactions: 7 users
Although this discussion reminds me that I haven't read the Hot Zone in like two decades... should probably re-read that now that I have more than a middle school-level understanding of medicine :unsure:

I was asking a serious question so that perhaps all of us who either don’t remember or weren’t in college during this could hear about it. And when I said “but not too much happened” I was asking a question based off of what I remembered going through and hearing on the news. But I seriously appreciate the snark.
If you were sincerely asking a question, I don't really think saying "this is what happened (not much), right?" is the best way to go about doing so. Because it sorta just looks like you were looking for people to agree with you, and now it looks like you're not even appreciative for the information I DID provide you (probably because I disagreed). If you ask sincere questions, expect to not always be correct ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Although this discussion reminds me that I haven't read the Hot Zone in like two decades... should probably re-read that now that I have more than a middle school-level understanding of medicine :unsure:
That book kind of scared me when I read it the first time. Would totally read it again though now that I’m older! Hmm... is there an SDN book club?

Reactions: 2 users