Covid-19 and Start of Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrivingDoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I live in California and have been accepted to a medical school here as well. I would like to know what others' thoughts are about whether covid19 will affect the start of the medical school year in August? The governor suggested a while ago (although I think pertaining mostly to elementary/ high school) that schools may not open till the fall semester. I know the situation is fluid and no one knows for certain what the situation will be like even by the end of this month, but if things continue as they are right now, do you think it could delay the start of medical school for incoming first year students? Would it ever get to the point of delaying it by a whole year? Interested to here thoughts or if anyone has any actual information!

Members don't see this ad.

I live in California and have been accepted to a medical school here as well. I would like to know what others' thoughts are about whether covid19 will affect the start of the medical school year in August? The governor suggested a while ago (although I think pertaining mostly to elementary/ high school) that schools may not open till the fall semester. I know the situation is fluid and no one knows for certain what the situation will be like even by the end of this month, but if things continue as they are right now, do you think it could delay the start of medical school for incoming first year students? Would it ever get to the point of delaying it by a whole year? Interested to here thoughts or if anyone has any actual information!

I’d imagine that if the shelter in place order is still going on, classes would just be online. Maybe anatomy lab would be delayed, but I don’t see them delaying school for a year.

Reactions: 4 users

Delay the start of medical school? Highly unlikely. Many medical schools already record lectures for students to review at a later time. Plenty of students do not regularly attend lectures to study in ways that are more conducive for their own learning styles. Best guess is that classes continue as planned but adjust to being video lectures with virtual group learning networks.

My guess is covid19 causes interruptions during this next year. Instead of worrying about if it happens, I highly recommend mentally preparing for non-ideal circumstances so that we can respond with understanding and a solutions oriented mindset.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’d imagine that if the shelter in place order is still going on, classes would just be online. Maybe anatomy lab would be delayed, but I don’t see them delaying school for a year.
This is pretty much our contingency plan.

No one in medical education is making noise about delaying or cancelling the fall semester

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Yeah, I know most lectures are recorded and students hardly attend them anyways so that part wouldn't be interrupted. Although, a lot of schools integrate PBL which involves meeting in groups and there are smaller breakout sessions and hands on learning situations needed, but I suppose they could just video conference those and push back the hands on situations if needed.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I know most lectures are recorded and students hardly attend them anyways so that part wouldn't be interrupted. Although, a lot of schools integrate PBL which involves meeting in groups and there are smaller breakout sessions and hands on learning situations needed, but I suppose they could just video conference those and push back the hands on situations if needed.
Problem based learning (PBL) small groups on Zoom could look like the Brady Bunch or Hollywood Squares. I think that it will be fun.
1585863138522.png

1585863085194.png

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Schools are currently doing online classes, Zoom small group and review sessions, and having students install monitoring software for exams. In the event that we're all still in lockdown come August, they'll most likely continue remote learning.

I am curious how OMM is going to be handled at DO schools, especially if this is going to continue for some period of time.

Reactions: 1 users
Latest episode from All Access: Med School Admissions Podcast | School of Medicine | School of Medicine | Case Western Reserve University :

Listen in as Christian Essman, Senior Director of Admissions and Financial Aid, and Dr. Lina Mehta (also on LinkedIn), Associate Dean for Admissions at CWRU School of Medicine, discuss the uncertainty and disruptions caused by COVID-19 for pre-medical students and medical school admissions. This conversation attempts to bring some reassurance to listeners to that medical schools are aware of the new challenges caused by this situation and that we’re all in this together.

I’m curious to see how anatomy lab will be handled if classes end up being remote....
Our anatomy faculty did dissections on a couple of cadavers, took a bunch of pictures, and filmed videos explaining the relationship between everything. They've definitely been working overtime to try to make this work for all of us. I'd MUCH rather be with a cadaver (even though the prosections look way better), but we're doing the best we can.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Latest episode from All Access: Med School Admissions Podcast | School of Medicine | School of Medicine | Case Western Reserve University :

Listen in as Christian Essman, Senior Director of Admissions and Financial Aid, and Dr. Lina Mehta (also on LinkedIn), Associate Dean for Admissions at CWRU School of Medicine, discuss the uncertainty and disruptions caused by COVID-19 for pre-medical students and medical school admissions. This conversation attempts to bring some reassurance to listeners to that medical schools are aware of the new challenges caused by this situation and that we’re all in this together.
Is this available to the public yet? I cannot find it when I click through. :(

I’m curious to see how anatomy lab will be handled if classes end up being remote....

They will just send a cadaver to each student at home. Make sure to stock up on Febreze!

/s

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 7 users