COVID-19 Vaccine and Aspirin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Njdevils30

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For your patients with cardiac disease who are taking aspirin 81 mg daily are you holding the medication the night before vaccination and on D1 of the vaccine or are you continuing medication as they normally take it. Also, with a half life max of 6 hours, should I have the patient take their nightly aspirin earlier in the day the night before vaccination and hold off on day 1 of vaccination. Just wondering what other physicians are recommending. I guess it's the risks vs benefits question.

Members don't see this ad.

From a practical standpoint, most people aren't being counseled 1:1 well in advance of receiving their vaccine, so I don't suspect that there's much advice being given aside from whatever is being reported in the media.

Reactions: 1 user
If your concerns are regarding decreased immune response, I recently consulted ID after a patient had an adverse reaction. They were fine with NSAIDs prior to vaccine doses, the only thing that concerned them was steroids use.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The platelet effect of ASA lasts 10 days. I stopped 5 days and bled pretty good when I had a BCC removed. ASA shouldn't affect the vaccine.

Last edited:
If the question is hinting at theoretical decreased immune response with NSAID use, I would suggest this isn't something that should be of significant concern at this time. It is clearly prudent that we vaccinate as many people as possible as quickly as possible at this stage of the pandemic.

Reactions: 2 users
I looked it up, didn't know.