Hospital during COVID-19

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Njdevils30

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hospitals in my area are asking physicians to work in the hospital. It has been a long time since I worked in the ER or ICU, those go back to my residency days. I was wondering what I can offer the hospital to help. Just wondering if anyone has any input on this.

Members don't see this ad.

I wish I had advice but I'm in a similar situation. They are asking for help but I'm a GP. I'm reviewing critical care material but doubt that will help me. I want to help but I've also heard complaints from docs who have mid-levels, GPs or those just not experienced in the hospital, ICU or ED working with them. I don't want to make it worse and I'm unsure where I fit it.

I wish I had advice but I'm in a similar situation. They are asking for help but I'm a GP. I'm reviewing critical care material but doubt that will help me. I want to help but I've also heard complaints from docs who have mid-levels, GPs or those just not experienced in the hospital, ICU or ED working with them. I don't want to make it worse and I'm unsure where I fit it.
My exact feelings.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got word that I’ve been picked to be on our systems COVID-19 re-deployment team being sent to New York Presbyterian. I’ve been asking for opportunities to get some COVID management exposure before it comes to my rural area since I’m one of the main hospitalists; and it looks like I’ll definitely have my wish granted.

Still waiting for details, but sounds like it’s on!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I got word that I’ve been picked to be on our systems COVID-19 re-deployment team being sent to New York Presbyterian. I’ve been asking for opportunities to get some COVID management exposure before it comes to my rural area since I’m one of the main hospitalists; and it looks like I’ll definitely have my wish granted.

Still waiting for details, but sounds like it’s on!
That's some scary stuff man. Keep yourself safe.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Hospitals in my area are asking physicians to work in the hospital. It has been a long time since I worked in the ER or ICU, those go back to my residency days. I was wondering what I can offer the hospital to help. Just wondering if anyone has any input on this.
They're looking for people to be on call in case one of their few regular hospitalists goes down with possible COVID symptoms. It's a back up plan that most rural hospitals are looking into at least.

I work for a hospitalist group for a urban hospital in an area with lots of COVID. From what I understand, the plan as hospitalist go down will be to at first make part time/per diem hospitalist full time, then move onto community physicians. For the ICU, the plan was to take the hospitalist and move them into ICU, then replace them with community physicians on the floor.