COVID 19's Impact on Applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wow-Zero

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a non-traditional undergraduate in my third year. I have a 3.9 GPA and was planning to take the MCAT in May which just got canceled. I had 150 hr of research and 50 hr hospital volunteering for Apr through June plus I was gonna find someone to shadow because I don't have any shadowing experience. I have like 1000 hrs of nonclinical volunteering 100 clinical, 100 clinical research and 30 lab research. I would appreciate any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm a non-traditional undergraduate in my third year. I have a 3.9 GPA and was planning to take the MCAT in May which just got canceled. I had 150 hr of research and 50 hr hospital volunteering for Apr through June plus I was gonna find someone to shadow because I don't have any shadowing experience. I have like 1000 hrs of nonclinical volunteering 100 clinical, 100 clinical research and 30 lab research. I would appreciate any advice.
What is your question?

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You have a solid GPA but your mcat score will have a huge impact on where you can apply. However, your ECs are very weak which you know. That is going to adversely impact your application especially at programs that receive high numbers of qualified applicants.

Reactions: 1 user
You have a solid GPA but your mcat score will have a huge impact on where you can apply. However, your ECs are very weak which you know. That is going to adversely impact your application especially at programs that receive high numbers of qualified applicants.
I know I may not have that much of a chance but I thought I give it a shot since I have nothing to lose. Also, even though my ECs are weak but they're quite meaningful so I can talk about them.

I know I may not have that much of a chance but I thought I give it a shot since I have nothing to lose. Also, even though my ECs are weak but they're quite meaningful so I can talk about them.
You would be a re-applicant if you don't get in so you would lose money, stress, and the benefit of being a first time applicant

Wrong mentality to have. You only want to go through the application process once as reapplicants have a decreased chance of admission (posted on admissions websites at several universities). I would take the year to improve your application to increase your chances of getting an A or multiple As. I get taking an additional year sucks - I did it and I wasn’t thrilled at the time but it paid off in the end.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are adamant against a gap year, then it all depends on your MCAT score and a good school list.
But if you take another year off to beef up your research, shadowing, and clinical experience, you'll be in a much better spot.

If you are adamant against a gap year, then it all depends on your MCAT score and a good school list.
But if you take another year off to beef up your research, shadowing, and clinical experience, you'll be in a much better spot.

to the OP, if shadowing is the only thing you are missing, if other fx look okay, apply this year.

many who are short -borderline on clinical hours or lacking MCAT entirely are facing the reality of skipping this year... all signs likely pointing toward a more competitive pool next year.

edit: if you prepare well and can count on a good MCAT score if you take it this summer, you could be in a good place to apply.

Reactions: 1 users
to the OP, if shadowing is the only thing you are missing, if other fx look okay, apply this year.

many who are short -borderline on clinical hours or lacking MCAT entirely are facing the reality of skipping this year... all signs likely pointing toward a more competitive pool next year.

edit: if you prepare well and can count on a good MCAT score if you take it this summer, you could be in a good place to apply.

It depends when MCAT testing resumes, expedited score release, and whether schools will move back their schedules.
40% of applicants have no business applying anyways. Only the premeds who know they are lacking ECs and want to remedy that will hold off a year.
Of course, no one knows, but I don't think this cycle will lose too many applicants.