COVID Protocols at your school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jadedd79

Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently went to orientation at my school. I go to a new TMDSAS DO school. Everything went relatively well, but I was completely shocked at the lack of any sort of COVID protocols at our school, especially with the rise of the delta variant in our region. Masks were not required (not even highly recommended) so nobody was wearing a mask. Vaccines aren’t required. And there were no attempts to social distance at all. We’re soon to meet the second years, and we’re probably going to have 200+ people all together in a room without any COVID rules. Our school year is going to be 100% in person, full capacity.

I’m just really posting this because I’m curious if other schools have any sort of COVID protocols in place or are we just an outlier?

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Vaccination is required at my school.

As to your school, thank that sociopath Greg Abbott.
Where it is a fineable offense to ask for masks.

Members don't see this ad :)
This seems crazy. I'm at a school in a red state and we just transitioned today to all online lectures and N95s for any labs. I will be surprised if your class makes it through the semester without any cases.

We're actually heading back
This seems crazy. I'm at a school in a red state and we just transitioned today to all online lectures and N95s for any labs. I will be surprised if your class makes it through the semester without any cases.
i love how they were so happy to be back in person and then literally 3 days lol

Vaccination is required at my school also.

Reactions: 1 users
Ah the DO special cancel the classes but keep OMM lab- the real essentials.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Hello all,

I recently went to orientation at my school. I go to a new TMDSAS DO school. Everything went relatively well, but I was completely shocked at the lack of any sort of COVID protocols at our school, especially with the rise of the delta variant in our region. Masks were not required (not even highly recommended) so nobody was wearing a mask. Vaccines aren’t required. And there were no attempts to social distance at all. We’re soon to meet the second years, and we’re probably going to have 200+ people all together in a room without any COVID rules. Our school year is going to be 100% in person, full capacity.

I’m just really posting this because I’m curious if other schools have any sort of COVID protocols in place or are we just an outlier?
At a southern school in Deep South in red state, vaccination is highly recommended, masks are required in door and class capacity is reduced by 50% and attendance is not required.

VCOM requires proof of vaccination or a mask. Three campuses in red states.

My school requires vaccines and masks this year but no capacity limits anymore. Also our OMM partners are changing each week :shrug:

Our school has been asking for vax cards since about March and vaccines are essentially required (strongly recommended), otherwise mask required in addition to getting tested on-site. At start of orientation they offered vaccination to anyone who hadn't been but I think essentially everyone was. We have assigned seats in lecture and lab, and same OMM partner for entire block I believe. They also eased up attendance requirements and split up lab activities into A/B groups so not everyone's in lab at the same time. They provide N95s and face shields for anatomy, OMM, and clinical skills.

Edit: Masks required as of Day 1 of academics, which was weird considering we're all vax'd and did orientation without...feel it kind of sends the message to the community that vaccines aren't effective...haven't been able to find any peer-reviewed material that supports this action. :/

edit 2 / 10 weeks later: still in masks, now N95 masks for 2 hours at a time (which is not recommended) - faculty exempt, weekly case rate at 38, 7-day death rate at <2 for 6 months+ with 5 of those averaging 0.

Last edited:
Mine has loosely implemented mandatory vaccines (or an online module if you choose not to). For now, we have also switched to universal masking. Our state currently has a vaccination rate in the high 60s%, so holding out hope that we may not fully return to April 2020-level lockdowns. Who knows, though...

There was an outbreak of some sort of bug at our school today that knocked out at least one third of our whole school. They switched to remote only for the rest of orientation. White coat ceremony was also postponed. We don’t know what it is. People are having fevers, chills, nausea, aches and GI problems. Some people are voluntarily getting tested. This is so scary to me.

• Care
Hello all,

how many people at the event came down with covid?

At my school, vaccines are highly encouraged, but not mandatory. Those without vaccines have to wear a mask. Multiple labs per week without masks, face shields or anything. OMM labs with rotating partners. OMM lectures are mandatory and sometimes scheduled in lectures halls that don’t have enough seats for the whole class.

My school has required vaccination; required N95 masks when in the building; limited gatherings to 25 people, so labs are in smaller groups. The only time we can take masks off in the building is if we have a group of 5 or fewer in a private study space, so study rooms we can be without masks but hallway study spaces we can't.

A south Texas public school district is bringing suit against the governor because they want to have a mask mandate for their schools. They are currently not allowed to require masks, yet school opens next week in-person. Last spring when parents were given the option to send kids back to school or stay in remote learning, most chose remote.

There was an outbreak of some sort of bug at our school today that knocked out at least one third of our whole school. They switched to remote only for the rest of orientation. White coat ceremony was also postponed. We don’t know what it is. People are having fevers, chills, nausea, aches and GI problems. Some people are voluntarily getting tested. This is so scary to me.
that sound awful - wear a mask even when others don't! Set the trend!