COVID vaccine general thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wonder if we will need Brinks security trucks to deliver these things. I hear rumblings that some people want it NOW and don't care for distribution protocols. What are the chances that some idiot will attempt to hijack a shipment because he won't wait few months or wants to make some money.
Probably a pretty spicy black market for a truck full of Covid vaccines.

Members don't see this ad.

Who would actually administer stolen COVID vaccines? North Koreans?

• Hmm
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I'll be getting the vaccine either this week or in a couple of weeks.
Your hospital is allowing you to even with New York putting pharmacists in phase 2?

Have you heard any issues about distribution in your area? A couple local hospitals had their stock sent to the wrong locations so it's a mess out here right now. At least from what my hospital friends have said.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your hospital is allowing you to even with New York putting pharmacists in phase 2?

Have you heard any issues about distribution in your area? A couple local hospitals had their stock sent to the wrong locations so it's a mess out here right now. At least from what my hospital friends have said.
ive been out of work for over a year now. just wondering if anything has changed regarding immunization certification. I got certified thru cvs in 2010 is there any additional training/cert needed in ny ? i think i just have to redo my BLS training.

ive been out of work for over a year now. just wondering if anything has changed regarding immunization certification. I got certified thru cvs in 2010 is there any additional training/cert needed in ny ? i think i just have to redo my BLS training.
No, as long as you renew your BLS I believe you should be ok.

My hospital is overreacting, now they have a damn security guard inside the pharmacy 24/7 literally sitting there watching the ultra freezer with the vaccine in it.

It's so ****ing annoying, now I can't operate how I usually do in the night time with the movies, loud rap music, video games because there is someone from the security office there.

And get this, even though technically no one is supposed to be inside the pharmacy when the pharmacist is not there, if I step out, the security guard is allowed to remain there.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
From the Lancet: A Cautionary Tale

Researchers Warn of Heightened Risk of HIV With Certain COVID-19 Vaccines​

There is also the risk of ADE

If I am understanding this article correctly, it is saying that for men who have sex with other men, there’s an increased chance of contracting HIV from a positive partner, from results of a separate vaccine made with similar technology.

However, for the average Joe taking the vaccine and has no exposure to HIV, the vaccine does not induce or cause infection to HIV, so the title is a little misleading.

Reactions: 7 users
Fortunately there are other vaccine designs such as RNA, inactivated virus, and recombinant protein subunit

If I am understanding this article correctly, it is saying that for men who have sex with other men, there’s an increased chance of contracting HIV from a positive partner, from results of a separate vaccine made with similar technology.

However, for the average Joe taking the vaccine and has no exposure to HIV, the vaccine does not induce or cause infection to HIV, so the title is a little misleading.
Yes, the research is saying there is an increased risk in those populations with high HIV prevalence. But it is not limited to men who have sex with other men because in other parts of the world, especially Sub-Sahara Africa, the vast majority of HIV transmission is heterosexual. Even the authors state "Importantly for considering the potential use of Ad5 vectors for COVID-19 infection, a similar increased risk of HIV infection was also observed in heterosexual men who enrolled in the Phambili study."

To this day, HIV epidemiology has a contradictory path because in the developed world, HIV risk groups mostly include gay men and IV drug users while in Sub-Sahara Africa it is almost exclusively heterosexual transmission.

The question becomes what is it about the HIV virus that behaves so differently and how does this relate to covid vaccines. In Australia, which has a very low HIV infection rate, the covid vaccine caused false positive tests:

Reactions: 1 user
Fortunately there are other vaccine designs such as RNA, inactivated virus, and recombinant protein subunit
Yes true, but each one carries its own risk. For example, the Moderna vaccine which employs mRNA delivery system. In order for the vaccine to work, “carrier systems” involving lipid nanoparticles (LNPs) have to be employed. LNPs “encapsulate the mRNA constructs to protect them from degradation and promote cellular uptake” and, additionally, rev up the immune system"

According to Moderna's own statement:

"[T]here can be no assurance that our LNPs will not have undesired effects. Our LNPs could contribute, in whole or in part, to one or more of the following: immune reactions, infusion reactions, complement reactions, opsonation reactions, antibody reactions . . . or reactions to the PEG from some lipids or PEG otherwise associated with the LNP. Certain aspects of our investigational medicines may induce immune reactions from either the mRNA or the lipid as well as adverse reactions within liver pathways or degradation of the mRNA or the LNP, any of which could lead to significant adverse events in one or more of our clinical trials."

Reactions to LNPs from a one-off administration would occur shortly after administration and if a prevalent reaction would have shown up in the various clinical trials

The CSL vaccine in Australia used an HIV clamp protein in the vaccine design, thus antibodies generated against epitopes presented by that protein giving false positives

Reactions to LNPs from a one-off administration would occur shortly after administration and if a prevalent reaction would have shown up in the various clinical trials

The CSL vaccine in Australia used an HIV clamp protein in the vaccine design, thus antibodies generated against epitopes presented by that protein giving false positives
The "LNP formulations in the three Covid-19 vaccines are also “PEGylated,” meaning that the vaccine nanoparticles are coated with a synthetic, nondegradable and increasingly controversial polymer called polyethylene glycol (PEG)." So the deleterious effects of these mRNA based vaccines could take considerable time to see. These clinical trials have occurred in record time and mRNA vaccines have never been employed.

False positivity results from HIV tests ( Western Blot and ELISA) are nothing new. The HIV proteins or antibodies are cross reactive with so many conditions (TB for example or recent influenzas infection). So that the researchers working on the vaccine using the HIV clamp protein should have anticipated that. It has been over 40 years into HIV research and no viable vaccine has been produced. But ironically a portion of the HIV virus is used to make a viable vaccine for a new coronavirus strain that just showed up less than a year ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
Considering the ubiquity of PFAS and microplastics in human dystopia I am not as concerned about "long-term" issues correlating with LNPs when the exposure level is much lower in comparison

I would be concerned about user error though as I have gotten various shots over the year too high and actually one near the armpit in 2019

Considering the ubiquity of PFAS and microplastics in human dystopia I am not as concerned about "long-term" issues correlating with LNPs when the exposure level is much lower in comparison

I would be concerned about user error though as I have gotten various shots over the year too high and actually one near the armpit in 2019
Just pre-draw a bullseye on your deltoid with non-toxic marker for the immunized to use as a guide.

• Haha

Don't pay attention to the person who posted the HIV claim . This is complete and utter nonsense.

Yes true, but each one carries its own risk. For example, the Moderna vaccine which employs mRNA delivery system. In order for the vaccine to work, “carrier systems” involving lipid nanoparticles (LNPs) have to be employed. LNPs “encapsulate the mRNA constructs to protect them from degradation and promote cellular uptake” and, additionally, rev up the immune system"

According to Moderna's own statement:

"[T]here can be no assurance that our LNPs will not have undesired effects. Our LNPs could contribute, in whole or in part, to one or more of the following: immune reactions, infusion reactions, complement reactions, opsonation reactions, antibody reactions . . . or reactions to the PEG from some lipids or PEG otherwise associated with the LNP. Certain aspects of our investigational medicines may induce immune reactions from either the mRNA or the lipid as well as adverse reactions within liver pathways or degradation of the mRNA or the LNP, any of which could lead to significant adverse events in one or more of our clinical trials."

You could grow a brain, but it's not likely.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Why do you resort to name calling and demeaning when someone presents information contrary to your understanding?

If you had a quarter of my brain you would have replied with a sensible comment.

• Love
Don't pay attention to the person who posted the HIV claim . This is complete and utter nonsense.
If it was utter nonsense why did the Australian government dump tens of millions of these vaccines?

What is utter nonsense about this?

You sound like you work for these vaccine companies. Do they compensate you for advocating on their behalf.

Also in other news, if severe reactions occur to these vaccines, the victim cannot sue and receive compensation from these vaccine companies. They have complete immunity.

You sound like you work for these vaccine companies. Do they compensate you for advocating on their behalf.

Also in other news, if severe reactions occur to these vaccines, the victim cannot sue and receive compensation from these vaccine companies. They have complete immunity.

I receive no compensation from the vaccine companies, though I wish I did. I would not have given them blanket immunity either. As you can plainly tell I am not a Senator or Congressman.
That has nothing to do with the safety of the vaccines. In the history of vaccines most if not all side effects have been reported in the first 2 months of vaccination That is why the FDA would not accept EUA applications until the 2 month time period was elapsed even though the efficacy was already established.
Based on the available data and based on the fact that hundreds of thousands have already died and hundreds of thousands will die, it is imperative to vaccinate as many people as possible. Plus, I want to eat at restaurants.
I will get mine as soon as it is offered.
The data was reviewed by the FDA , the ACIP and made public for anyone to review. I did not that one person who got the Moderna vaccine was struck by lightning. Does the vaccine have some electromagnetic properties in the lipid layer?

I receive no compensation from the vaccine companies, though I wish I did. I would not have given them blanket immunity either. As you can plainly tell I am not a Senator or Congressman.
That has nothing to do with the safety of the vaccines. In the history of vaccines most if not all side effects have been reported in the first 2 months of vaccination That is why the FDA would not accept EUA applications until the 2 month time period was elapsed even though the efficacy was already established.
Based on the available data and based on the fact that hundreds of thousands have already died and hundreds of thousands will die, it is imperative to vaccinate as many people as possible. Plus, I want to eat at restaurants.
The data was reviewed by the FDA , the ACIP and made public for anyone to review. I did not that one person who got the Moderna vaccine was struck by lightning. Does the vaccine have some electromagnetic properties in the lipid layer?
Although I do not trust anything in these vaccines, I want people like you to get them so that you feel the confidence to leave the house and eat in a restaurant so that the rest of us can go back to whatever life we had, if that is even a possibility at this point. So much damage has been done to small business and the economy in general. The restaurant that you desire to eat at after this Covid business recedes might not even exist.

You forget the sordid history of vaccines around the world, even in the US. That's why Regan passed the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program (VICP) in 1986. This gave full immunity to vaccine manufactures from getting sued from the general public. Instead, if a vaccine lawsuit was found to be credible, the government would pay for any damages with tax payers on the hook.

"In the three decades since the NVICP’s creation, American households have filed roughly 20,000 petitions for vaccine injury compensation. The program has paid out over $4 billion to a subset—barely a third (31%)—of petitioners, while dismissing well over half (56%) of filed claims as undeserving of any compensation."

For any other product or service, a recipient has the right to return or get a full refund if the product or provider is at fault. What makes vaccines a different category? Just ask yourself this simple question.

• Haha
  • Okay...
  • Love
What’s the worst that can happen from having a vaccine? It may not work and you might get an injection site reaction which can happen from anything.

I see no logical reason not to get it. These conspiracies get boring after a while.

Reactions: 2 users
What’s the worst that can happen from having a vaccine? It may not work and you might get an injection site reaction which can happen from anything.

I see no logical reason not to get it. These conspiracies get boring after a while.
Here are a few examples of what can go wrong.

Another example, a vaccine for dengue fever came out a few years ago and caused many deaths and injuries in the Philippines. As of August 2019, over 600 people (mostly children) that had received at least a single dose of the vaccine had died.

Here are a few examples of what can go wrong.

Another example, a vaccine for dengue fever came out a few years ago and caused many deaths and injuries in the Philippines. As of August 2019, over 600 people (mostly children) that had received at least a single dose of the vaccine had died.

You do realize that polio has been eradicated because of vaccine, correct? It was a deadly disease affecting hundreds/ thousands and now it’s completely wiped out.

Vaccine has been one of the the greatest Inventions of past century and if I were to make a case against vaccine, polio vaccine isn’t one of them..

You do realize that polio has been eradicated because of vaccine, correct? It was a deadly disease affecting hundreds/ thousands and now it’s completely wiped out.

Vaccine has been one of the the greatest Inventions of past century and if I were to make a case against vaccine, polio vaccine isn’t one of them..
Did you read that the vaccine was causing more outbreaks, how is that a good thing?

Did you read that the vaccine was causing more outbreaks, how is that a good thing?

I read that article and others. It’s an oral vaccine which has potential to cause infection in rare cases. But even then, one in 200 such infections result in paralysis. So, these can be treated by giving more vaccine.

Also, it’s oral vaccine that has this potential, not the injectable we have in USA. African and Asian countries use oral because it’s cheaper to produce. It has been discontinued in USA.

I read that article and others. It’s an oral vaccine which has potential to cause infection in rare cases. But even then, one in 200 such infections result in paralysis. So, these can be treated by giving more vaccine.

Also, it’s oral vaccine that has this potential, not the injectable we have in USA. African and Asian countries use oral because it’s cheaper to produce. It has been discontinued in USA.
That is not a small number, that is why it made headlines. The point is not that it has been discontinued in the US, the point is that vaccines have the potential to do great harm. Tell a mother whose child was paralyzed that it was just a fluke, don't worry about it.

That is why the US federal government has a special fund to pay victims of vaccine injuries and no lawsuits can be made against the manufacturers. If vaccines are the greatest thing, why do we spend billions of tax payers money in settlement cases?

You stated that what harm can a vaccine do, it's just a simple shot right?

• Love

There's more to it than that. Remember this is under Emergency Authorization, not the standard one. There is a higher tolerance for adverse events as we don't have the patient demographics tuned yet, and we are going to learn the hard way through the first two or three tiers.

What we've learned over the past week:
1. Patients with strong vagal responses may faint. Response: Patient sticks for 30 mins or so around sitting down if they have had a strong response in the past.
2. Anaphylatic reactions. Response: Epinephrine and ACLS. Task: Figure out if there's a pattern to these hypersensitivity.
3. Seizures. Response: Phenytoin
4. Hyperthermia >107F. Response: Dantrolene

These are still within the FDA standard limits for "rare" (1:200,000) and "very rare" (1:2M).

Nonscientific speculation: I think any patient in category 3 and 4 would have had a real bad time with the actual infection if they responded this way just to the vaccine. No counterfactual, but immune participation in COVID-19 has been complicated.

There are some reactions that are not rare, but these are the classical ones that we all expect.

And if anyone wants to talk about unsafe meds sold to people, let's start talking about OTC aspirin and diphenhydramine someday. I'd be genuinely surprised if aspirin would be even approved and if so, with multiple black box warnings.

OPV has been banned in developed countries for a reason. Some countries are forced to use it due to economic reasons. It’s like saying some countries may still be using Zostavax for shingles and someone saying oh look, people still get shingles after getting this vaccine. It must not be very effective then. All this while ignoring the fact that we now have much better alternative in the form of Shingrix available. But some places might still be using Zostavax for economics. In any case, benefit of vaccination far outweighs the risks. India for example accounted for 60% of global polio cases in 2009. By end of 2011, it was eradicated though oral vaccine! Now there were 50 vaccine induced polio cases in 2019, but remember this is a population of over a billion which exceeds most continents. Also, there is no info on how many of these cases resulted in paralysis (if any at all). So, its benefit far outweighs the risk where thousands used to die each year.

And I wouldn’t use the vaccine if it wasn’t approved in US. I have faith in FDA approval process. If appropriate trials have been done, and vaccine has been approved by our experts, then I would take it. So far, Covid vaccine hasn’t shown to cause any serious adverse effects.

For your later point about suing government, allergic reactions can occur after taking vaccine. That’s the reason why we go through CPR training and required to keep Epipen on-hand. But again it’s not common. My friend’s technician’s daughter had Stevens-Johnson syndrome after taking Bactrim. Her skin literally burned. Does that mean we should ban Bactrim from the market? Does that mean I shouldn’t take it if I have an indication for it?

Medicine is all about risk vs benefits.

OPV has been banned in developed countries for a reason. Some countries are forced to use it due to economic reasons. It’s like saying some countries may still be using Zostavax for shingles and someone saying oh look, people still get shingles after getting this vaccine. It must not be very effective then. All this while ignoring the fact that we now have much better alternative in the form of Shingrix available. But some places might still be using Zostavax for economics. In any case, benefit of vaccination far outweighs the risks. India for example accounted for 60% of global polio cases in 2009. By end of 2011, it was eradicated though oral vaccine! Now there were 50 vaccine induced polio cases in 2019, but remember this is a population of over a billion which exceeds most continents. Also, there is no info on how many of these cases resulted in paralysis (if any at all). So, its benefit far outweighs the risk where thousands used to die each year.

And I wouldn’t use the vaccine if it wasn’t approved in US. I have faith in FDA approval process. If appropriate trials have been done, and vaccine has been approved by our experts, then I would take it. So far, Covid vaccine hasn’t shown to cause any serious adverse effects.

For your later point about suing government, allergic reactions can occur after taking vaccine. That’s the reason why we go through CPR training and required to keep Epipen on-hand. But again it’s not common. My friend’s technician’s daughter had Stevens-Johnson syndrome after taking Bactrim. Her skin literally burned. Does that mean we should ban Bactrim from the market? Does that mean I shouldn’t take it if I have an indication for it?

Medicine is all about risk vs benefits.
I say this with all sincerity, I applaud your devout adherence to this whole concept, you don't even question a single thing. I wish you the best and stay safe.

All will be revealed soon enough.

• Okay...
  • Haha
When Pfizer CEO dumped his stocks, I did question it. But then I saw the number of people enrolled into clinical trials (around 20k) and the timeline they have been followed-up on (2 months), it makes me Comfortable taking it when available.

Reckon Pfizer CEO sold the stocks due to issues with temperature requirements; not due to issues with adverse effects/ lack of efficacy. I guess we will never know.

I got mine yesterday. My arm was horribly sore yesterday and today I feel pretty awful. Low grade temp, fatigue, muscle aches. I’m not really looking forward to the booster shot at this point but at least I know to expect that I’ll feel awful!
I’m not really a frontline worker as a hospital pharmacist but I was diagnosed with breast cancer this week and I start chemo in just 8 days. I’m grateful for the vaccine, even if I feel like garbage right now!

• Care
  • Sad
When Pfizer CEO dumped his stocks, I did question it. But then I saw the number of people enrolled into clinical trials (around 20k) and the timeline they have been followed-up on (2 months), it makes me Comfortable taking it when available.

Reckon Pfizer CEO sold the stocks due to issues with temperature requirements; not due to issues with adverse effects/ lack of efficacy. I guess we will never know.
Just like when many CEOs resigned or dumped their stocks right before the lockdowns. It's all intriguing to say the least.

History is great teacher but many do not heed her lessons.

I got mine yesterday. My arm was horribly sore yesterday and today I feel pretty awful. Low grade temp, fatigue, muscle aches. I’m not really looking forward to the booster shot at this point but at least I know to expect that I’ll feel awful!
I’m not really a frontline worker as a hospital pharmacist but I was diagnosed with breast cancer this week and I start chemo in just 8 days. I’m grateful for the vaccine, even if I feel like garbage right now!
I hope you feel better soon and your cancer is gone with the chemo.

I am following other forums and seem like people who have gotten the shot are experiencing injection soreness and mild fever. Nothing alarming so far but it’s supposed to be worse after 2nd dose.

My friend works for hospital system and he says most physicians are very keen on getting one; even ophthalmologists are asking when will be their turn? lol

Nurses on the other hand were less enthusiastic. He said only 40% of nurses wanted one which surprised him.

Below is from Moderna covid 19 vaccine fact sheet.

• FDA has authorized the emergency use of the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine, which is not an FDA-approved vaccine.
• The recipient or their caregiver has the option to accept or refuse the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine.
• The significant known and potential risks and benefits of the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine, and the extent to which such risks and benefits are unknown.

Scary part is when the patient asks what the risks are or how safe the vaccine is, I would have to tell them I do not know. How many of you would tell them its not FDA approved?

Just like when many CEOs resigned or dumped their stocks right before the lockdowns. It's all intriguing to say the least.

History is great teacher but many do not heed her lessons.
I think this happened right before the great depression and 9/11.

Below is from Moderna covid 19 vaccine fact sheet.

• FDA has authorized the emergency use of the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine, which is not an FDA-approved vaccine.
• The recipient or their caregiver has the option to accept or refuse the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine.
• The significant known and potential risks and benefits of the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine, and the extent to which such risks and benefits are unknown.

Scary part is when the patient asks what the risks are or how safe the vaccine is, I would have to tell them I do not know. How many of you would tell them its not FDA approved?
People assume that because a clinical trial is done with 30,000 people that all is good. There are so many other factors to consider and the LONG-TERM effects are not known. The question isn't whether someone who got the shot is still doing well a few days later. How is that person doing a month from now or a year?

We don’t know long-term side effects of Covid either. For all we know, people who had it might start having dementia at the age of 40. Then what?

We don’t know long-term side effects of Covid either. For all we know, people who had it might start having dementia at the age of 40. Then what?
Well, the virus itself isnt really something we could control. Or is it? Lol but vaccine can be controlled. My concern is as a healthcare professional who is responsible for giving these shots, I am genuinely worried about patients health and safety. If no serious adverse effects show for majority of people then thats great! But again, we dont know because we rushed it. Im not gonna talk about why it was rushed lol

Well, the virus itself isnt really something we could control. Or is it? Lol but vaccine can be controlled. My concern is as a healthcare professional who is responsible for giving these shots, I am genuinely worried about patients health and safety. If no serious adverse effects show for majority of people then thats great! But again, we dont know because we rushed it. Im not gonna talk about why it was rushed lol
It wasn't rushed though. If every new vaccine had 30k people enroll in the trial in the first week, every trial would go very fast.

And as a healthcare professional recommending those to most of my patients, I'm not worried.

Getting mine on Monday.

Reactions: 5 users
Is LazyPharmacist2.0 the same person as iamapharmacist? 🤔 If not, you two should be buddies it seems. I can’t tell your posts apart aside from the name.

• Haha
It wasn't rushed though. If every new vaccine had 30k people enroll in the trial in the first week, every trial would go very fast.

And as a healthcare professional recommending those to most of my patients, I'm not worried.

Getting mine on Monday.
If we are treating this like a regular clinical trial, it shouldve taken 5-10 years before it hit the market depending on at what phase we decide to release it to the public. When I was in clinical research, most of drugs were stuck in phase 1-3 for years for various reasons.

Obviously with this covid craze going on, I understand why it wouldve taken them less than a year to develop this but still, we dont know much about it to confidently tell patients... anything at this point.

If youre getting it, more power to you. I applaud your courage. I cant seem to get over the fact that this government and people involved in this vaccine have different priorities though.

Is LazyPharmacist2.0 the same person as iamapharmacist? 🤔 If not, you two should be buddies it seems. I can’t tell your posts apart aside from the name.
Just because people have different opinions than you and those people tend to support each others stance, should not be the reason for your jealousy lol nor should you belittle and attack.

I suppose we could be buddies... but thats none of your business. 😉

I assure you we are not the same person lol, just like minded.

It must be so crazy to hear about people who question things and don't join the bandwagon.

• Haha
  • Love