COVID vaccine general thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Looks like china is already working on covid20 lol

"it is up to 70% more infectious than the original strain because it has a much bigger viral load."

I suggest everyvody calm down. There is NO DATA to back up the claim it is 70% more transmissible
If you want the trith, dig into this:
https://twitter.com/mugecevik/status/1341390453271355392.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
china was like, the first one wasn't concentrated enough. We gon do this china style. lol.
It's the Wuhan wet market special 😂

I hear conflicting reports that this strain was known thru statistical modeling and not proven thru actual laboratory methods?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201222-131202.jpg
    Screenshot_20201222-131202.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 86
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
May be a dumb question, but why there is no vaccine for HIV yet?
There are a number of reasons this is a challenging task, but one big one is lack of HIV exposure. With the COVID vaccine, anyone who interacts casually with others is at risk for infection, so we can tell if the vaccinated group acquired fewer infections than a placebo group. Infection with HIV requires direct body fluid transmission, so you’d need two groups of people likely to be exposed to HIV who you aren’t telling to stop doing something dangerous. If you had a sex worker who did not use condoms, they would be a good participant, but the ethical thing to do is tell them to have safe sex. Especially now with PrEP availability, it’s hard to get the data we need to show experimental vaccines are effective.

There are a number of reasons this is a challenging task, but one big one is lack of HIV exposure. With the COVID vaccine, anyone who interacts casually with others is at risk for infection, so we can tell if the vaccinated group acquired fewer infections than a placebo group. Infection with HIV requires direct body fluid transmission, so you’d need two groups of people likely to be exposed to HIV who you aren’t telling to stop doing something dangerous. If you had a sex worker who did not use condoms, they would be a good participant, but the ethical thing to do is tell them to have safe sex. Especially now with PrEP availability, it’s hard to get the data we need to show experimental vaccines are effective.
I don't know brah but these numbers seem pretty significant. I'm gonna assume there is no money in creating HIV vaccine. As long as you can keep them alive with continuous cocktail meds, there is more money to made as opposed to vaccinating. Just my two cents.

The lack of HIV exposure is not a valid argument. There are plenty of high risk groups available to do a vaccine trial, which they have done in the past.

There are regions of the world which have at least half their population infected with the virus according to statics.

I don't know brah but these numbers seem pretty significant. I'm gonna assume there is no money in creating HIV vaccine. As long as you can keep them alive with continuous cocktail meds, there is more money to made as opposed to vaccinating. Just my two cents.

Does every potential vaccine manufacturer make money from HAART? There must be one out there who doesn’t have a piece of the pie.

Does every potential vaccine manufacturer make money from HAART? There must be one out there who doesn’t have a piece of the pie.

I was gonna say, if you're an upstart and can be first to market with an HIV vaccine, you could make a lot of money.

And by a lot of money, I mean you could get bought out by a bigger pharm company with a HAART portfolio and have your patent sit on a shelf.

• Hmm
Okay, got my vaccine and my arm is sore, maybe +2 out of 10 on a soreness scale vs. a traditional flu shot.

Reactions: 5 users
Got my first shot of the Pfizer yesterday. My arm is significantly sore (enough so to wake me up during the night) but absolutely nothing else at all.

Don't feel any different. It has been a couple days.

The only possible issue is switching off the needle after drawing up the shot is not mentioned anywhere. So it should cause more pain if you are comparing to prefilled syringe flu shot. I guess if you are doing hundreds of these, 10 seconds extra it takes to put on new needle is an issue.

• Hmm
We got a box via FedEx the other day and were so excited! But it was just the supplies, vaccine cards, whatever. Still waiting on some actual vaccine. Well, we are in the middle of nowhere, I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
That’s not the problem. You can negative control even with life saving therapy. The real problem is, there isn’t a vaccine candidate that shows good enough results in vitro to even consider clinical trials yet.

That’s not the problem. You can negative control even with life saving therapy. The real problem is, there isn’t a vaccine candidate that shows good enough results in vitro to even consider clinical trials yet.
Agreed, that is not a problem. Figuring out a good immunogencity model is, and the bar is low in places like South Africa for a minimum effectiveness.

Birx spent her whole career failing at it, and while we've learned, we still don't have a good candidate right now.

This is why I have a problem with the hasty triumphalism with the COVID vaccines.

This is not a "get the vaccine and all's well." The endpoint was placebo vs immunized and time to failure. So, you can still get sick from COVID with the vaccine at the doses provided. What we don't know is whether the two groups were really different, and we're testing time to failure.

Don't go celebrating in a piano bar just yet, we really are going to find out whether this works or not in the next six months. I'm not holding out much hope for a permanent immunity beyond six months, but if the vaccine prevents long symptoms or mortality, it'll be great progress. The encouraging sign is that none of the vaccinated got the worst of it. Nursing homes and prisons will teach us the real effectiveness. Even if you get the vaccine, who knows what the exposure coverage is and for how long.

Got dose #1 on 12/29. Only a sore arm the day after...had an itchy feeling and flush for about an hour yesterday. Feeling wonderful! I work retail in TX

Does anybody know anything about the Novovax vaccine? Phase 3 trials are looking for volunteers. Supposed to be more the traditional protein subunit kind.

Moderna @1400 on 12/28. Soreness at injection site noticable at +2.5 hours. Present all day yesterday, now I am +52 hours from shot and soreness is gone. No other side effects.

Moderna @1400 on 12/28. Soreness at injection site noticable at +2.5 hours. Present all day yesterday, now I am +52 hours from shot and soreness is gone. No other side effects.
You didn't take the two days Authorized Absence? Please make sure to take it next time.

The way I understand the regulation, it is just allowing supervisors to approve an excused absence, rather than two "free" days of leave.
Not quite, this was something that was addressed during this morning's "get with the program" call on the immunization data.

Well **** I'm gonna have to look into that then.
So the issue is around the idea that getting immunized doesn't mean you're safe just yet. It's supposed to tide you over your vulnerable time, and direction is not discretionary. On the second, should a self-report of symptoms occur, they are dismissed for the day. They are not even supposed to be counted as manpower because the usual post-syndrome puts them both in a vulnerable position and they are likely to be ill.

That wasn't the only thing addressed this morning. I'm more after making sure that the documentation doesn't get screwed up either in VistA or OARS.

Got my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine today. Arm a little less sore than from a flu shot......

Reactions: 3 users
Hoping no one is experiencing Bell’s palsy. Im sure it wont be reported in the media but if someone here does get it let us know haha

• Haha
Hoping no one is experiencing Bell’s palsy. Im sure it wont be reported in the media but if someone here does get it let us know haha
Bro these people will claim it's a benign reaction to the vaccine. It means it's working lmao!

At my pharmacy the nursing homes are requesting epinephrine kits just in case of allergic reactions to the vaccines. That's how common they are.

Which of you is this? Lol

Reactions: 2 users
Bro these people will claim it's a benign reaction to the vaccine. It means it's working lmao!

At my pharmacy the nursing homes are requesting epinephrine kits just in case of allergic reactions to the vaccines. That's how common they are.

That sounds like standard procedure. Our vaccine clinic has epinephrine, benadryl, famotidine, solu-medrol, albuterol all on hand in case of a reaction.

It doesn't mean we're giving it to every patient (but yes, we've had a couple of hypersensitivity reactions if you're so interested in it).

Bro, every immunizer must receive CPR training. That's how common people die from vaccines.
Exactly my point, adverse reactions from vaccines are too common to be just considered rare!!

All medications have side effects. Common now, how can anyone believe this nonsense?

I don’t even know how many hundreds of vaccines I gave in my time in retail and I never once had to give CPR or administer an epi shot even though I was prepared to do either.

I did once have someone have a heart attack waiting in line to pick up their meds so I suppose waiting in line is actually more dangerous than getting a vaccine by this logic.

Reactions: 3 users
How many times have you had to give someone an epi-pen because of an allergic reaction to a vaccine you gave?
Not a single case from my experience.

But that doesn't mean it's not a concern. Allergic reactions are not the only adverse events.

That's why the federal government compensates individuals for vaccine injuries and protects the vaccine manufacturers. This type of blanket immunity is not granted to any other entity.

At every place I rented, the HOA always requested there be a fire extinguisher in case of a house fire. That's how common they are.

• Haha
At every place I rented, the HOA always requested there be a fire extinguisher in case of a house fire. That's how common they are.
Let's hope vaccine injuries aren't as common as house fires. You are inadvertently proving my point lol.

Let's hope vaccine injuries aren't as common as house fires. You are inadvertently proving my point lol.

Please define "injury" and then back it up with statistics. I seriously hope you don't consider a completely normal immune response like headache, fever and fatigue to fall into that category. You're starting to sound like Jenny McCarthy.

If I am understanding this article correctly, it is saying that for men who have sex with other men, there’s an increased chance of contracting HIV from a positive partner, from results of a separate vaccine made with similar technology.

However, for the average Joe taking the vaccine and has no exposure to HIV, the vaccine does not induce or cause infection to HIV, so the title is a little misleading.

Australia stops COVID vaccine Astra Zeneca due to "false positives" You can't get a false positive HIV from a vaccine. You either get HIV from the vaccine or not. If they got false positive HIV, there would be no need to stop the distribution.

All i will say is, i do covid rapid testing at my pharmacy. The county informed us that for every positive test we report, it will be counted as 6 positives due to the possibility that the patient couldve interacted with at least 5 other people before going into quarantine. After that, i stopped believing anything government has put out regarding this issue. Also, rapid tests are really really inaccurate. Granted its mainly the false negative thats problematic which means infected rate may be higher than we know which means this virus isnt as deadly as they make it out to be. Who knows.

All that said, Im sure the vaccine will work just fine but the way theyre just shoving it all up on people’s faces and using fear as a tool to force people to subjugate makes me have so much doubt about their intentions. My two cents. Happy new year!

All medications have side effects. Common now, how can anyone believe this nonsense?

I don’t even know how many hundreds of vaccines I gave in my time in retail and I never once had to give CPR or administer an epi shot even though I was prepared to do either.

I did once have someone have a heart attack waiting in line to pick up their meds so I suppose waiting in line is actually more dangerous than getting a vaccine by this logic.
All medications have side effects. True. and we know the long term side effects of many medications. However, last time i checked, prescription medications have not undergone EUA. Also, do vaccines truly follow USP guidelines?

Please define "injury" and then back it up with statistics. I seriously hope you don't consider a completely normal immune response like headache, fever and fatigue to fall into that category. You're starting to sound like Jenny McCarthy.
The government has paid out more than $3.4 billion in vaccine injuries since the inception of the program during the Regan adminstration. Injuries are defined as those that cause harm to the patient that can be short term or long term. Examples are paralysis, autoimmune disorders, or death.

If vaccine injuries were such a rare occurrence there would be no point in creating this program nor would there be such a large compensation having been doled out.

Australia stops COVID vaccine Astra Zeneca due to "false positives" You can't get a false positive HIV from a vaccine. You either get HIV from the vaccine or not. If they got false positive HIV, there would be no need to stop the distribution.
That's what I was saying. The vaccine developers should have anticipated that using an HIV protein component in the vaccine would cause positive test results.

So why stop the distribution and waste millions of doses if that was the only concern? Vaccine lovers don't like to address this issue.

All i will say is, i do covid rapid testing at my pharmacy. The county informed us that for every positive test we report, it will be counted as 6 positives due to the possibility that the patient couldve interacted with at least 5 other people before going into quarantine. After that, i stopped believing anything government has put out regarding this issue. Also, rapid tests are really really inaccurate. Granted its mainly the false negative thats problematic which means infected rate may be higher than we know which means this virus isnt as deadly as they make it out to be. Who knows.

All that said, Im sure the vaccine will work just fine but the way theyre just shoving it all up on people’s faces and using fear as a tool to force people to subjugate makes me have so much doubt about their intentions. My two cents. Happy new year!
Fauci himself has admitted that the PCR tests should have cycle runs less than 35 anything beyond that would churn out false positives.

No test centers report the cycle threshold or if they do it is well over 35 cycles so anything comes out positive.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ny...ealth/coronavirus-testing.amp.html?0p19G=0232

Last edited:
Aren't you suppose to use RT-PCR? I thought RT-PCR is more accurate than PCR.
RT-PCR is the full name of the test. It uses reverse transcription of the RNA to DNA so amplification can happen

RT-PCR is the full name of the test. It uses reverse transcription of the RNA to DNA so amplification can happen
Okay, That makes sense. i remember there being a difference between PCR and RT-PCR. PCR i have heard uses just DNA polymerase without any conversion and just amplifies DNA. Let me rephrase my question, which Test are the scientists using to detect SARS-cov-2 RT-PCR or PCR? Or is it both?

Okay, That makes sense. i remember there being a difference between PCR and RT-PCR. PCR i have heard uses just DNA polymerase without any conversion and just amplifies DNA. Let me rephrase my question, which Test are the scientists using to detect SARS-cov-2 RT-PCR or PCR? Or is it both?
Since the virus only contains RNA it must first be converted into DNA hence you must use RT- PCR

$4 billion paid out over something like 30 years.

$8 billion paid out by Purdue for Oxycontin.

Not exactly sure what the argument is. From what I recall, you believe there is no virus. Not sure how many people you convinced there.

Let's say there is. What's the way out of it? I know you won't get a vaccine. We can continue wearing masks and let nature take its course. Fast or slow. We can do immunizations. Again, sounds like you don't believe in them. It is one of those things that if everyone around you gets one, I guess you won't have to worry about government payout (there won't be one with this vaccine anyway). Makes me look like a ******* for getting one and trying to move past this pandemic.