COVID Vaccine: Pfizer or Moderna, given the option?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Given the choice of COVID vaccine, which vaccine would you prefer?

• Total voters

Ligament

Interventional Pain Management
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Assuming you want it, and given the choice of COVID vaccine, which vaccine would you prefer?

Why?

Members don't see this ad.

Getting Moderna on Sunday - Prefer Pfizer.

Identical efficacy, but Pfizer is 30mg vs Moderna 100mg.

I prefer to have 1/3 of the autism.

Reactions: 1 user
figure Moderna less chance some idiot left it in a too warm spot.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was given the choice, since I work at a bunch of hospitals.

This is in the name of splitting hairs. I would have been thrilled to get the Moderna vaccine as well but I chose Pfizer for a few reasons.

1. Pfizer has a lot more to lose if something goes wrong with the vaccine. Moderna has never brought a product to market before, has never mass produced a product, etc. I trust companies to do what's in their interest and that's why I have some level of trust in Pfizer.

2. The Pfizer vaccine has been around and tested for 1-2 weeks longer. Almost nothing but not quite nothing.

3. Given the similar nature of the two vaccines, I would bet they require the same temperature to store, but that Moderna's testing was closer to the threshold of instability. So, I think Pfizer has a better chance of being stable since it's required to be stored in a freezer.

4. But MOST IMPORTANTLY, I was offered Pfizer about 1 week sooner and it was convenient, didn't have to schedule, I just walked over to the tent after my last procedure.

One the flip side, Moderna has NIH funding and all the required monitoring and reporting that goes with that. Tony Fauci AND Alex Azar got Moderna and between the two of them, you have safety, efficacy, and quality control folks putting their money where their mouth is.

Moderna booster is 4 weeks and Pfizer booster is 2 weeks, so if time is important to you Pfizer is faster

Pfizer = 3 weeks

I think it has to be between 2-3 weeks, mine is 19 days apart and that is the middle of the dates they gave me to schedule.

Reactions: 1 user
If you left me alone, I would prefer the AstraZeneca one.

I'll take whatever I can get though.

Who cares, significant adverse effects for either are likely going to be so rare that it doesn’t matter, whichever they offer you.

Reactions: 1 users
It’s all the same. Got the moderna shot Wednesday. Arm was real sore for a day but small price to pay.

Moderna because I have stock in them :). Excited for my second shot lol

I think it has to be between 2-3 weeks, mine is 19 days apart and that is the middle of the dates they gave me to schedule.
They recommend getting second dose at minimum 17 days apart from the initial one.

Pfizer expected immunity 7 days after second shot so total about 1 month to immunity including both shots.

Moderna is 14 days following second shot. So about 6 weeks total.

I got Pfizer happily as that’s what I was offered.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not sure which is better. Both about 95% effective after series completion from what I've seen. I took first offered which was Pfizer on 12/16 (and 2nd on 1/2). I wouldn't make too much of Fauci picking Moderna. Their vaccine was created in partnership with National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases of which Fauci is Director. So naturally, Fauci is going to be heavily biased towards Moderna since that's his dog in this fight. That doesn't make it any better or worse, just that Fauci is going to back it no matter what.

I'm not seeing anywhere that Fauci backs Moderna over Pfizer.

could you post some links to this?

I think Fauci got Moderna because it was what was in the fridge....

“There are two out there, there is the Pfizer and the Moderna, I’ll be getting the Moderna vaccine, we just got a shipment in yesterday.”