CPA looking for a home

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kevin Sorbo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings SDN!

I am just north of a decade into my career as a CPA with a wife in year 1 of an internal medicine residency. I always thought of being an MD, but thought that was something where simply nobody gets accepted, so you might as well not try. Fast forward (or rewind in the present day) to freshman year of college. I graduated high school with a lot of confidence and a high GPA/ACT score, but followed some friends to a school where, well lets say, I did not excel. I finished my first year with a GPA of 2.8 through some personal battles with depression. I returned in the fall I ended up taking a pause on my college career and prioritizing my success, but was only able to raise my GPA up to a cumulative of 2.9 by graduation with a slog of old courses that had very low grades. In my last two years of undergraduate work, I was working full time as an accounting intern, switched schools and wrapped up my bachelor degree in accounting with a 3.4 GPA at the other school. I started working, passed the CPA exam and have been in a very rigorous public accounting field ever since. I developed a close relationship with the graduate director in accounting at a top 10 business school and completed a masters in accountancy with a GPA of 3.7. Observing my wife's journey, my decision has been made that I want to make the switch, but am a bit lost as to what steps I can take due to the troubled past and have a few questions I am hoping you might have some insight.

- Are professional certifications like the CPA designation relevant to overcome some issues like mine?
- Does current graduate level work overcome the low undergraudate GPA with a clear change in the trend?
- Do you have any suggestions for next steps I could take or target schools that look favorably on my fact pattern?

Any advice is genuinely appreciated.

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Goro’s Guide for Reinvention

As always, Goro’s guide for reinvention is a great place for you to start. It’s written geared towards individuals with a not so great academic past.

You’re going to need to complete pre-requisite classes for medical school. The MSAR is essentially a list containing information about medical schools that can help you narrow down exactly where you want to apply based on your stats. Generally, you will need Biology 1/2, Chemistry 1/2, Physics 1/2, and Organic Chemistry 1/2 with many schools requiring additionally science or humanities courses. A lot of these classes stack on one another so expect to spend about 2 years taking these classes. You’ll also need to take the MCAT and see how you score to determine your school list.

Medical schools don’t care about your graduate GPA or your certification because it doesn’t really tell them anything about your ability to perform well in medical school. However, that does add to your overall application and helps to differentiate you from others.

- Are professional certifications like the CPA designation relevant to overcome some issues like mine?
No

- Does current graduate level work overcome the low undergraudate GPA with a clear change in the trend?
No.

- Do you have any suggestions for next steps I could take or target schools that look favorably on my fact pattern?
See lumya's post above.
Also, you need to shadow doctors.
You need to volunteer with patients or get clinical employment (and no, being a hospital CPA won't count)
You havce ot show off your altruism and volunteer non clinically, preferably with those less fortunate than yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
No

No.

See lumya's post above.
Also, you need to shadow doctors.
You need to volunteer with patients or get clinical employment (and no, being a hospital CPA won't count)
You havce ot show off your altruism and volunteer non clinically, preferably with those less fortunate than yourself.

Thank you for the prompt replies! Goro, one question for you. My wife gained her clinical experience as an ER scribe, which was looked upon quite favorably in her applications. However, that seems to have lost a bit of its luster from what I hear. Are there particular clinical positions that are more or less favorable, or does having spent the time in the ER/clinic/hospital, etc. matter the most?

Almost CPA (passed BEC and AUD, heaved-ho'd on trying FR and TAX :sick:), VP Audit of some SEC registrant, Partner Big 4 or something like that... none of that matters, really except for the leadership (maybe) and team building (maybe);

What matters likely? 10,000 hours volunteering while being in the finance side of business including healthcare (insurance and clinical), 200+ clinical, shadowing of various types (ped, onc, heme, rad, IM, fam, and rural) and my new pre-req GPA...

Shadowing helped me really understand what docs do (that and living with one who was up at 4 AM to do rounds on his weekend call-duty, home at 6:30 to eat dinner before rushing out the door to handle an emergency incoming at a T-3 hospital)... to me, until I lived it and then shadowed, I didn't really know.