Crack DAT PAT angle ranking questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jetbot33

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been practicing the angle ranking on Crack DAT PAT for over a week now and I find that the tests are not that hard but the practice questions IMPOSSIBLE to do. The questions with 6 degrees and 5 degrees difference are manageable but doing a 3 degree difference for difficulty is nearly impossible for me. So far the practice that I've had with the angle ranking has not changed how I often just do not see a difference in the angles at all. In fact, I can't even get my mind to wrap around how some of the angles are bigger than the others when they look smaller to my eyes! I'm gonna post a picture as an example.

Now my question is what should I be practicing for the DAT? Which is the most useful, the practice tests 1-10, or the practice mode angle ranking questions 3, 4, 5, or 6 degrees? I'm not sure which difficulty the actual DAT will be testing on.

Also any tips on problems like the picture I posted? Angle 2 looks like a way bigger angle than angle 3 yet it's supposedly smaller. I feel like 3/4 of the questions that mess with my mind like this lol.

Members don't see this ad.

That question looks extremely easy....
I think DATBootcap angle ranking might be more difficult in my opinion.
You have to play with the answer choices.

For example, you can see that either 1 or 3 is the largest. Clearly looking at it, 1 has a larger angle. Choice B eliminated. Next, look at A,C,D, notice that lowest angle is either 2 or 4. Personally, I can clearly see that 4 is smaller than 2. Choice C eliminated.

Now you are down to A or D. 50/50 chance if you can't tell the difference. Find a method that works for you. I can just visualize it and see that 3 is greater.

What i would do is visualize an invisible right angle and I see which gets most closet to it

I've personally been having issues with angle ranking as well, so you are not alone. This section is hard because there are no strategies that are as concrete as maybe the hole punching grid technique, or cube counting tallies - it is very "eye-balled." I've found that many people are naturally good at it and I, am naturally not so good at it. Keep practicing, it's the only way to get better. I'm in the same boat as you, it's not the answer we want to hear but we've got to keep struggling with these questions till eventually we train our eyes to see which angles are biggest/smallest.