CRAP! No DO LOR!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zendoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wassupp my peoples? I am nervous because I don't have one DO LOR. I don't even know a DO! I know a lot about DO medicine because I have done extensive research in the field, but I have not shadowed a DO. I have about 5-6 LOR from PhDs, MDs and interships I did, but no DOs!!!!! Do I stand a chance? I am broke as hell and don't want to waste the money applying if I don't have a chance :( BLAH....help please.

Members don't see this ad.

From the FAQ above:

How do I/Should I shadow a DO?

A good place to start is in contacting your state Osteopathic Medicine Society either via the web or phone and asking for a local list of physicians. Another way is to check out your local hospital, if they have a website that is best. Many schools suggest that you shadow a DO before applying and it is a requirement for others. Here are some opinions on this matter:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=234750
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=233228
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=228068
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=225110

If you don't want to get a DO letter, that's your prerogative. Not all schools require a DO letter, some will accept a letter from an MD, but prefer one from a DO. I recommend getting one if you can. In any case, it would behoove you to shadow a DO; it can make your argument for "Why DO?" stronger.

Check the AACOM website for the LOR requirements for each school.

I shadowed a DO at the University Health Clinic this week for the first time. I called there last week. I am shadowing one more time next week and she is going to write the letter for me. I know it won't be great since I haven't known her for too long, but it will fulfill the requirement. There are only like two other DOs in our phone book, so I know how difficult it is.

This process will have taken all of about two weeks, so you could definately get a letter by app time. Just start calling people.

Members don't see this ad :)
I shadowed a DO at the University Health Clinic this week for the first time. I called there last week. I am shadowing one more time next week and she is going to write the letter for me. I know it won't be great since I haven't known her for too long, but it will fulfill the requirement. There are only like two other DOs in our phone book, so I know how difficult it is.

This process will have taken all of about two weeks, so you could definately get a letter by app time. Just start calling people.

Thanks! I just put some requests in to a mentor exchange offered by AOA. Your situation and outcome are very comforting to me though. Thanks again!

I tried that mentor exchange probably sometime around January. Somebody got back to me and e-mailed that they would find someone and then contact me. No one ever contacted me again. I'm assuming it's because there are just too few DOs around here. You might have better luck in California, though.

I didn't have one when I applied. But I did have letters from my supervisors (I was a paramedic for over 10 years), including from my hospital liaison. And yes, I had TWO letters from MDs. All DO schools i applied to said "no problem" regarding the DO letter in my circumstance.

Do you have any health care experience - volunteer, etc.?

I don't think lacking an osteo letter will be the reason you don't get into a school. Like Rem said, most of the schools are cool with it if you can't get a letter. But make sure it is because there are no DO's available and not because you were too lazy to look. Check your local hospital website for primary care physicians, as there are bound to be some DO's there.
I don't think anyone alluded to my letters during any interviews. As long as your other letters are strong and you have decent health care experience, I wouldn't worry too much about that aspect of your application.

Do you know any MDs that you could ask if he or she knows a DO?

This worked out really well for me. I asked an MD if he knew any DOs. He knew of 2 who worked in the same hospital system. I got their contact information from him, and when I contacted them I was able to drop the MD's name as the referall. I shadowed one of the DOs about 3 weeks ago for 8 hours, and he wrote me a letter. It probably isn't the best since we just met for 8 hours, but it fulfills the requirement so I can get my applications completed soon. I going to be shadowing these 2 DOs more this summer, I hope. :)

Good luck! :luck:

I have two LORs from MDs that I worked closely with. Is it worth it to find and shadow a DO for a mediocre letter? I can't decide.:confused:

I have two LORs from MDs that I worked closely with. Is it worth it to find and shadow a DO for a mediocre letter? I can't decide.:confused:

I wouldn't. I applied with MD and PhD letters and was accepted to both schools that I applied to.

IMO, a mediocre letter from a DO will just dilute your LORs.
Honestly though, I do not see why DO schools would care if you have a DO or an MD letter? Shouldn't either physician be able to adequately evaluate your compassion and drive?

I wouldn't. I applied with MD and PhD letters and was accepted to both schools that I applied to.

IMO, a mediocre letter from a DO will just dilute your LORs.
Honestly though, I do not see why DO schools would care if you have a DO or an MD letter? Shouldn't either physician be able to adequately evaluate your compassion and drive?

I agree. I also applied with an MD letter, because I thought it would be a very strong letter. I didn't apply to any schools that wanted a DO letter. That being said, I still shadowed DO's. I think shadowing a DO could be useful, even if you didn't get a letter.

Only some DO schools require a DO LOR.

Probably most would love it if you did have one, but many don't have it as a definite must. Just check the schools you're interested in applying to, see which ones require it before hand, so you know. No point applying to places with it as a must, if you can't get one. But there is still time to get one and send it along later.

Look up the names of doctors at hospitals in your area. Most of the hospital websites have a 'find a doctor' feature. Go through the lists and see if you can find a DO on staff, and contact them.

Schools that require a DO LOR want to know if you are really interested in osteopathy or if you are using their school as a backup plan. This is a no-brainer. I have a hard time understanding why DO schools don't require such a letter. Shadowing a DO is not difficult. There are certainly plenty around. And I'm not entirely sure you should be applying to a DO school without talking to a DO about the osteopathic principles or observing manipulation.

I say this as a future allopathic student who is believes in osteopathy and thinks many pre-meds simply look to DO schools for a backup plan, which they aren't.

yeah well i am basically in your boat... although I have shadowed a DO and he said he'd write me a LOR.... its been 3 weeks and no word or response to my emails.... hmmmmm