This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tobypossum

Reaction score
Hey guys so I’m finally graduating next summer with a really bad overall science GPA. I’m almost too embarrassed to post it. Let’s just say it’s right under a 3.0. I had my difficulties sophomore and junior year which led to the downfall of my otherwise great GPA. I know there is not a way to turn it around in time for me to graduate, no matter if I made straight As from here on out.

I have been looking at post baccalaureate programs and wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with these? I guess these are my questions:

1. Is it worth it to take?

2. How long did it take to complete?

3. Will it really have that much of an impact on my GPA?/ how high can I expect to realistically raise it?

4. I’m already 25 (took a year or two off in between after crappy sophomore/junior year), is it worthy putting in the effort to complete this program? Or should I cut my losses.

5. I am a biology major chem and psych minor. What kind of classes will I be expected to take... I feel like I have taken pretty much every science based class at my university lol so do I just retake the classes I’ve already had?

Any information on this would be great.

Also, is there a GPA requirement to get into these programs? If so, does anyone have an idea of what it might be?

Members don't see this ad.

1. No.
3. Unlikely to help much. A GPA below 3.0 is very hard to fix.
4. Without knowing more, it's hard to say. Is there anything exceptional about your application? Because a poor GPA with only mediocre EC's will lead to rejections.
5. Are you still in school? If so, think about changing your major to something that will get you a real world job. Because you need to be realistic.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys so I’m finally graduating next summer with a really bad overall science GPA. I’m almost too embarrassed to post it. Let’s just say it’s right under a 3.0. I had my difficulties sophomore and junior year which led to the downfall of my otherwise great GPA. I know there is not a way to turn it around in time for me to graduate, no matter if I made straight As from here on out.

I have been looking at post baccalaureate programs and wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with these? I guess these are my questions:

1. Is it worth it to take?

2. How long did it take to complete?

3. Will it really have that much of an impact on my GPA?/ how high can I expect to realistically raise it?

4. I’m already 25 (took a year or two off in between after crappy sophomore/junior year), is it worthy putting in the effort to complete this program? Or should I cut my losses.

5. I am a biology major chem and psych minor. What kind of classes will I be expected to take... I feel like I have taken pretty much every science based class at my university lol so do I just retake the classes I’ve already had?

Any information on this would be great.

Also, is there a GPA requirement to get into these programs? If so, does anyone have an idea of what it might be?

If you're truly dedicated to medicine and have ECs that would position you for medical school if your GPA was average I'd look into special masters programs. They tend to be a pretty solid band-aid for situations like yours. I believe there's a page on the AAMC website with a list of these programs.

It actually sounds like you don’t care one way or another if you go to medical
school or not. If that’s the case, cut your losses and change your major so you are employable after graduation. You might want to do that anyway because a low sGPA is hard to fix. It may also impact your knowledge base in preparing for the MCAT. If you do have the passion to try to fix this you’ll need 3-4 semesters of post bacc courses. And you have to get all As or as close to all As as possible. It isn’t about raising your sGPA as much as convincing ADCOMS that you are capable of being successful in medical school!