crappy shifts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GiJoe

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm half way done with my second away rotation and I have yet to have a chance to work more than 1 shift with the folks who are known to be "good letter writers" I looked at the schedule and it looks like im spending a considerable amount of time working with docs who are not well known at all (but are great docs themselves and a pleasure to work with). It's difficult to work extra shifts because there are sooooo many students on this month and I dont think many would want to switch their schedule with mine.

What does an M4 do in trying to get a good LOR?

Members don't see this ad.

GiJoe said:

You really shouldn't underestimate the power of sexual favors.

Or, if that doesn't work for you, you might try to set up a meeting with either the program director or student coordinator. Talk with them about you are looking for in a program (they'll likely know of many programs that fit your needs in addition to their own). Tell them that you're also looking for a strong letter of recommendation and ask if you could pull an extra shift with them (go directly to them instead of through the line with all the other students in it) or if they have any other suggestions.

You're certainly not the only student to ever ask for a letter. They know the rules to this game and, by nature of their involvement in it, are usually pretty good at playing it.

Good luck!

Take care,
Jeff

GiJoe said:
I'm half way done with my second away rotation and I have yet to have a chance to work more than 1 shift with the folks who are known to be "good letter writers" I looked at the schedule and it looks like im spending a considerable amount of time working with docs who are not well known at all (but are great docs themselves and a pleasure to work with). It's difficult to work extra shifts because there are sooooo many students on this month and I dont think many would want to switch their schedule with mine.

Consider asking the PD at this program to write one for you, particularly if you did even one shift with him/her. They can do a sort of composite letter by talking with different attendings that you've worked with. Plus PDs in general are pretty student friendly (in my experience).

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same boat and it stinks. I'm doing an away right now and I'm working about ONE shift with EACH attending. Hardly time to develop any sort of rapport or relationship with someone.

It's always awkward. Just as soon as you spend a shift with one attending and learn their style and flavor then you immediately work with someone different who holds the exact opposite viewpoint on everything.

I'm working one shift with the PD (last shift) so I'm going to meet with her after sometime and ask for a letter.

really ready to match already.

later

hey GIJoe -

methinks i know where you are (i rotated there last year)... PM me or find me @ conference this thursday and i'll give you a heads up on who's got good letter skills, despite their "renown."

-t