Crazy daily routine makes Med School bearable ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't take Meds.
You know its not a failing to take medication, right? It could really help you out. You seem to be struggling quite a bit. Take care of yourself.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, I can be Batman !

There can be only one! lol
large.gif

But honestly there are other ways to manage your bipolar if you don't want to take meds, just make certain you're mentally well enough to continue on your journey. Never ignore a problem until it becomes too big to handle.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have struggled very much to accommodate in Medical school. I have way too much energy, way too many interests and I love life way too much to be an ideal Medical student who has the patience, time and interest to study Medicine. I figured out that this was not going to work, so what to do ? Well, obviously I can't change my personality, but if I can change anything, then that is my lifestyle.

This is how I decided to make the following lifestyle changes :
  • I wake up each morning around 4-5 AM - It makes me feel fresh, wide awake and ready to seize the day.
  • I take extra cold shower
  • I go out and run around 3-5x/day - Running is great, especially in the winter. It is like an ice cold therapy that makes my body and brain relax and feel fresh at the same time.
  • I don't drive my car anymore to the medical school - I use my bike. It is an hour long ride and another hour back home, and the weather is like hell and my classmates + parents think I'm nuts, but I just love it. It's the best time of the day, when all the stress gets vanished away.
  • I weight train 3x/week, I do bodyweight training 7x/week - pushups, pullups, squats, etc.
  • I don't snack, I don't eat sweets, I don't drink alcohol.
All in all, I like to consider myself like in some sort of " mental army " and no matter how weird it seems, it's the only way I feel that I can handle Medical school. Being tough on myself always worked, but when I start to relax or " take it easy " or follow any similar advice that apparently helps many people get by, I don't get anything done. I think this is because I need constant and very strong physical stimulation through the day to keep my mind active, otherwise I get distracted and the concentration goes out of the window.

With this routine, I don't know how to explain it the best, but it's like I put myself under constant stimulation, so that my body and mind is active all the time, ready to do anything, even study boring Medical material.

Did anyone experience anything like this ?
Don't pat the troll on the back.
I have alot of sex. that other crap you posted, if you're really serious, is ineffective

Don't pat the troll on the back.
I have alot of sex. that other crap you posted, if you're really serious, is ineffective

Read the OP and don't understand what you mean by this. Also, you realize OP is a girl, right so there's no need to brag about your sex life.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Read the OP and don't understand what you mean by this. Also, you realize OP is a girl, right so there's no need to brag about your sex life.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
line 1 of the post - Im sticking to it
line 2 of the post - Didn't you sense the sarcasm. take the stick out yer arse and have a sense of humor. typical medical student.

This explains a lot.

OP, I think that you know by now that med school is a furnace, and I've seen it break even healthy students. The #1 reason my school loses students to dismissal, LOA or withdrawal is due to mental health issues. Now, if you're BP rose to 350/195 mm Hg, you'd be taking medication. Don't be a non-compliant patient...you're going to have tons of those in your clinical career.

I am Bipolar, so it's not a surpise :D

I don't take Meds.

Teake heed of this thread, for unmedicated mental health issues in a medical student.
https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...-not-apply-to-students.1232507/#post-18395069

Reactions: 4 users
It's like they say on flights, you gotta get the oxygen mask on yourself before you worry about helping others get their's on. It sounds corny, but you gotta care for you before you're ready to (eventually) care for patients.

I'll echo the sentiments above: it's not your fault the cabin lost pressure, but now you gotta be willing to deal with what's happening.

Sound advice from the responders to this thread, man. They really are trying to help you and look out for your best interest.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't understand the point of sarcasm :D

I specified in the title that yes, it is a crazy routine. I also tried to explain in the post why it helps me and I was interested if anyone else experienced something similar, as we could change impressions.

Also, for me, the daily routine feels like Heaven compared to Medical school. The reason why I do this routine ( if it wasn't obvious enough ) is that it's the only way I can feel good about Medical school.

I can't completely relate, but I can relate to the general idea of what you're saying- you don't want med school to change who you are. I think thats legit. Now all the excessive working out seems a bit... well excessive. do you have hyperthyroidism? lol jk.

We all have our breaking points. For me, it was not getting a paycheck for so long. I had to find ways to make money, and that has been a really fun "side job". The creative outlet it provides me allows me to buckle down and focus when it comes to studying.

Reactions: 1 user
Going through old watched threads and am hoping OP is doing all right...