bokermmk

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2003
Status (Visible)
I recently got my NU rejection. The letter seemed quite odd however. They said all the regular stuff like "We thoroughly reviewed you app etc." Then they go on to say that they know this rejection may be particularly hard for me and my family since my mom is a NW physical therapy allum. Finally, they said I could call and talk with so and so to schedule an appointment. They said that if I wanted to schedule such an appointment I should refer to this "special interest" letter.

Do they say this in all their rejection letters? If not, what gives?

Spitting Camel

Anteater for Life!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003
'Eaterville
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by bokermmk

Do they say this in all their rejection letters? If not, what gives?

I don't think everyone's mom is a NW physical therapy alum. They maybe felt they owed you more of an explanation than someone who has no ties to the school. At least they cared enough to do it. I would take it as a compliment - a weird, twisted compliment.

pekq

Gunner
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2004
NJ
Status (Visible)
Translation:
We may have rejected you like the jerks we are but we still want alum donations.

About the Ads

rebeclette

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2004
Philadelphia
Status (Visible)
Wow, that was way nicer than my rejection letter, mine I don't think even had the obligatory we reviewed your application, but just had too many good applicants. They were just like oh we don't want you. At least they aren't so blunt with everyone!
Maybe it would do you some good to call somehow.

pekq

Gunner
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2004
NJ
Status (Visible)
I remember BU's rejection letter as being rather nice. To sum it up: BU's rejection of you is BU's loss. We acknowledge that we are your safety school and you have no serious intention of matriculating here.

CalBeE

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2003
Status (Visible)
Now seeing all these posts really makes me doubt that Northwestern rejects only 50 people that they interview. I mean, I think up to 10 people on SDN or more were rejected, and SDN is a relatively small community compared to the applicant pool as a whole...weird!

moo

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2000
Status (Visible)
I'm an M2 at NU at I think I remember hearing them saying about how they were interviewing more people this year but were also rejecting more post-interview. So I think this is exactly what you're seeing.

oldtimer

Not a blind man
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2003
Lost in a cubicle forest
Status (Visible)
Northwestern sent my rejection addressed to...Ms. Oldtimer?! :eek: And I have an unambiguous male name too! I don't want to go to a school that can't get my gender right. :rolleyes:

IrishOarsman

My Rx: Guiness
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2003
Chicago
Status (Visible)
I too got the strange NU rejection letter... dad and gramps both are Kellog grads. I figure at least it gives me a chance to ask why. At this point, I just want to know what the weak part of my application was.

rebeclette

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2004
Philadelphia
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by IrishOarsman
I too got the strange NU rejection letter... dad and gramps both are Kellog grads. I figure at least it gives me a chance to ask why. At this point, I just want to know what the weak part of my application was.

Me too! Its hard for me to hear things like that, but it would be nice to know if they just thought my interests wouldn't fit in. Or if they just didn't like me. Its hard not to go over everything and not wonder well if I had said something different if things could have turned out better.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.