Deciding between two gap-year CRC positions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ghermione1900

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’m deciding between two CRC positions at a large academic medical center for my gap year before applying to medical school. Compensation is similar enough that I’m mainly trying to decide based on research experience, publications/presentations, mentorship, and how each role would strengthen my application.

For some context on my application, I have around a 3.8 GPA from a T20 and a 520+ MCAT (multiple attempts). I have roughly 1,000 hours of clinical experience through a mix of EMS, outpatient clinical work, and hospital-based volunteering, plus substantial nonclinical service and teaching experience. I also have a lit review pub in a journal with IF of ~5 (high school project that continued into freshman year).

A decent amount of my clinical/service background has involved underserved or vulnerable populations. My experiences have included working with patients facing language and financial barriers, older adults, tutoring students from under-resourced backgrounds, food/homelessness-related service, and other community-based service. Because of that, themes like access to care, health disparities, and how social circumstances affect health already fit reasonably well with the rest of my application, even though most of my actual research so far has been more biomedical/cardiovascular rather than health-equity focused.

I have a few years of research experience focused on cardiovascular clinical research. I’m mainly trying to figure out which position would add the most to my application over the next year. I’m more interested in the quality of the experience, mentorship, ability to take ownership of projects, opportunities for abstracts/publications, and whether the role adds something new to my existing profile.

Option 1: Cardiology CRC

The group focuses heavily on cardiovascular clinical trials, including large multicenter studies and major industry-sponsored trials involving well-known academic centers. My first major project would likely be a real-world cardiology trial/registry-type study, with the possibility of being added to more patient-facing studies later.

  • Exposure to large, multicenter cardiovascular trials and high-profile studies
  • CRCs can contribute to abstracts and scientific posters
  • CRCs are generally not routinely included as manuscript authors on the major trial publications
  • There are opportunities to perform secondary analyses of study data independently, which previous CRCs have used for abstracts/conference presentations
  • Initial patient interaction would only be a few hours/week
  • There may be opportunities for side projects as new studies begin
The major appeal is that the PI is very well established and renowned in the field, I’m genuinely more interested in the science, and it would create a very cohesive trajectory with my previous cardiovascular work. I also think there would be value in learning how large multicenter clinical trials are run at a major academic center and getting exposure to high-impact research, even if I am not necessarily an author on the primary publications.

My concern is that some of the main projects are large multicenter/industry trials where CRCs do not commonly receive manuscript authorship. It sounds like getting independent output would depend more on taking initiative with secondary analyses, abstracts, and side projects.

Option 2: General Medicine CRC

This position would involve multiple studies with around 6–7 different PIs rather than being concentrated in one disease area.

The department has a broad clinical research portfolio spanning different medical specialties and patient populations, acute-care research, technology/data-driven clinical research, clinical outcomes, and health-equity/access-related research. Some projects are also multicenter clinical studies, while others are more investigator-driven and potentially allow research staff to take greater ownership.

  • Abstract opportunities are relatively frequent
  • CRCs have contributed to manuscripts and received authorship when contributions justified it (prior CRCs are listed on publications)
  • CRCs can pursue side projects if their primary responsibilities are covered
  • The role includes more direct patient recruitment/enrollment and broader clinical research responsibilities
  • I would likely have exposure to several investigators rather than building primarily around one PI
The appeal here is that it seems to have a stronger track record of tangible research output for CRCs. Prior CRCs have actually received manuscript authorship, and working with multiple PIs could create more opportunities to become involved in investigator-driven projects or side analyses. Obviously nothing is guaranteed, but based on what the two teams have told me, this position seems more likely to result in publications/authorship over the next year.

The health-equity/social-determinants side of this position could also connect pretty naturally with my existing application. A lot of my clinical and service experiences have involved vulnerable or underserved populations and barriers to care, but I haven’t really explored those issues through research yet.

My biggest hesitation is that I’m genuinely more interested in cardiology and it would also let me continue building a clear area of expertise over several years and work with a particularly established PI.

At the same time, the second position seems to offer a better environment for actually producing publications, abstracts, and independent work. Since I only have about a year before applying, I’m wondering whether tangible output and greater project ownership should outweigh the benefits of staying within my existing research niche.

If my main goal is to strengthen my MD application over the next year, which opportunity would be more beneficial?

Would it be better to prioritize:
  1. A specialized and cohesive cardiovascular research trajectory with a very established PI, and exposure to major multicenter clinical trials, even if manuscript authorship on the main trials is unlikely, or
  1. A broader multi-PI research environment that connects somewhat with my existing service/underserved-population experiences and appears more likely to result in abstracts, independent projects, patient-facing research, and manuscript authorship?
 
It seems like the second position is more likely to have some bang for the buck. The first one does not. But if you're looking for actual research, I suggest you join a research lab. Being a c r c is mostly logistical job, were you calling up subjects into the hospital for whatever needs to be done, and you won't be doing the doing.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Given your previous WAMC and assuming you do not have some new game-changing development since last month, you know that your relative lack of clinical experience is your primary problem.

I worry that you keep acknowledging understanding that, but you keep moving toward activities that do not address it. I'm not saying it's a waste of time: if you have no other options, choosing one is better than sitting at home... but it is not actually moving you closer to admission in the way that you most need.

I can profoundly commiserate with you on the reality that, sometimes, an opportunity you need right now is not available.

On other threads, I've talked about how the main tasks the application insists upon are basically expectations that you assert a set of specific claims. The most optimal claim you are trying to prove at this point is that you have deep experience engaging patients as a member of the medical team, and adequate exposure to physicians from within it in the context of diagnosis and treatment.

Anybody can just say that verbatim in their essays, so schools look to your activities to substantiate that claim. That's why people ask whether certain activities "count" for clinical experience. It's actually not complicated, it's just somewhat subjective based on what that reviewer believes adequately qualifies that claim. This idea of "claims" isn't any official terminology or anything, but it's the best way I've seen application strategy explained.

Now, you can already make strong academic and research-related claims. You have publications and tutoring and posters and presentations to spare, none of which are actually required. Which is great, because it shows you have a genuine interest beyond the requirement. There is no box to check, but if there were, you did it.

So, the question is really... why continue to try to substantiate a claim to clinical experience with a research activity? I understand they are prestigious opportunities, you are very impressive as an individual... but you're not going to train as a physician in that role. You do not need more of the same. You need to fill a gap.

Whether a reviewer would interpret your patient-facing CRC experience as clinical experience is almost certainly lower than it would be for an MA, EMT, PCA, CNA, or similar patient care role.

You will also want to continue volunteering when you can, especially if you can take on some kind of leadership role there. You don't need the extra "hours" per se, again—no box to check... but it would be good for your narrative if you got to make the claim that you were so moved by your experiences volunteering, you wanted to do more for those folks. If you can't, that's fine, but mission fit is going to be important especially given the fierce competition at the schools you are targeting.
 
It seems like the second position is more likely to have some bang for the buck. The first one does not. But if you're looking for actual research, I suggest you join a research lab. Being a c r c is mostly logistical job, were you calling up subjects into the hospital for whatever needs to be done, and you won't be doing the doing.
That makes sense--thank you. I guess the main thing I’m weighing is whether working with a nationally recognized PI on more cutting-edge multicenter research, could be more valuable than working on less prominent projects where I may have more opportunities for abstracts or authorship.
 
Given your previous WAMC and assuming you do not have some new game-changing development since last month, you know that your relative lack of clinical experience is your primary problem.

I worry that you keep acknowledging understanding that, but you keep moving toward activities that do not address it. I'm not saying it's a waste of time: if you have no other options, choosing one is better than sitting at home... but it is not actually moving you closer to admission in the way that you most need.

I can profoundly commiserate with you on the reality that, sometimes, an opportunity you need right now is not available.

On other threads, I've talked about how the main tasks the application insists upon are basically expectations that you assert a set of specific claims. The most optimal claim you are trying to prove at this point is that you have deep experience engaging patients as a member of the medical team, and adequate exposure to physicians from within it in the context of diagnosis and treatment.

Anybody can just say that verbatim in their essays, so schools look to your activities to substantiate that claim. That's why people ask whether certain activities "count" for clinical experience. It's actually not complicated, it's just somewhat subjective based on what that reviewer believes adequately qualifies that claim. This idea of "claims" isn't any official terminology or anything, but it's the best way I've seen application strategy explained.

Now, you can already make strong academic and research-related claims. You have publications and tutoring and posters and presentations to spare, none of which are actually required. Which is great, because it shows you have a genuine interest beyond the requirement. There is no box to check, but if there were, you did it.

So, the question is really... why continue to try to substantiate a claim to clinical experience with a research activity? I understand they are prestigious opportunities, you are very impressive as an individual... but you're not going to train as a physician in that role. You do not need more of the same. You need to fill a gap.

Whether a reviewer would interpret your patient-facing CRC experience as clinical experience is almost certainly lower than it would be for an MA, EMT, PCA, CNA, or similar patient care role.

You will also want to continue volunteering when you can, especially if you can take on some kind of leadership role there. You don't need the extra "hours" per se, again—no box to check... but it would be good for your narrative if you got to make the claim that you were so moved by your experiences volunteering, you wanted to do more for those folks. If you can't, that's fine, but mission fit is going to be important especially given the fierce competition at the schools you are targeting.

Thank you, its helpful way to think about the specific claims each activity substantiates. I should clarify that the WAMC you may be referring to is somewhat outdated. Since then, I’ve accumulated additional clinical hours and expect to have over a thousand hours of clinical and direct patient-facing experience by the time I apply. The CRC role will also involve regular patient interaction.

I understand that patient-facing CRC work may not be viewed the same way as an EMT, MA, or other direct patient-care role, so I’m also continuing part-time clinical work and longitudinal service alongside the full-time position. Given that updated context, would you still consider clinical experience the primary weakness in my application, or would the CRC position be reasonable for my profile?
 
Thank you, its helpful way to think about the specific claims each activity substantiates. I should clarify that the WAMC you may be referring to is somewhat outdated. Since then, I’ve accumulated additional clinical hours and expect to have over a thousand hours of clinical and direct patient-facing experience by the time I apply. The CRC role will also involve regular patient interaction.

I understand that patient-facing CRC work may not be viewed the same way as an EMT, MA, or other direct patient-care role, so I’m also continuing part-time clinical work and longitudinal service alongside the full-time position. Given that updated context, would you still consider clinical experience the primary weakness in my application, or would the CRC position be reasonable for my profile?

The math changes considerably if you have over a thousand hours by the time you apply in one of the other roles I listed. Your remaining weaknesses, if any, are your two 501 performances and, if I'm being picky, maybe nonclinical volunteering and a service, leadership, and advocacy throughline I think a lot of the schools you want to go to would appreciate. My classmates at one of the reaches you identified in your WAMC all have some additional aspect to their applications that are genuinely difficult to get and somewhat unfalsifiable.

Whether that means military service, policy experience, extensive advocacy at a high level, a big national/international scholarship/fellowship, attendance at an HYPSM-tier school, having a decorated career prior to medicine, or just genuinely excelling independently at every category of the application... everyone had a dash of something that made them special. You obviously are not going to see that written anywhere, but it's an n=1 at a school you say you want to go to, so that's what I can offer.

Personally I don't think CRC would do that for you only because you are already a decorated academic and medicine is not going to be as impressed by more research experiences vs clinical experiences and service. It's not that research isn't important, it's just that medicine is more straightforwardly about the rendering medical care to your local community than it is writing papers and pipetting from vial A to vial B. It helps narratively too, because you want to be able to talk about the impressions you've developed from patients more profoundly than just what research means to you, especially if you are not interested in MD-PhD and would resist being nudged toward PhD programs to the exclusion of medicine altogether.

Of course, you could roll the dice and apply with one of these roles and hope someone bites. I don't think the concern is going to be whether you are competitive at this point, it would be how well you write about your experiences and demonstrate fit at the schools you apply to.

I think it would come down to how much risk you're willing to take. You may very well get away with the experiences that you already have, it isn't impossible... whether it is likely that the schools you want will respond to your profile is something I'll leave to the professionals, since that exceeds the limits of what my experience is in.
 
The math changes considerably if you have over a thousand hours by the time you apply in one of the other roles I listed. Your remaining weaknesses, if any, are your two 501 performances and, if I'm being picky, maybe nonclinical volunteering and a service, leadership, and advocacy throughline I think a lot of the schools you want to go to would appreciate. My classmates at one of the reaches you identified in your WAMC all have some additional aspect to their applications that are genuinely difficult to get and somewhat unfalsifiable.

Whether that means military service, policy experience, extensive advocacy at a high level, a big national/international scholarship/fellowship, attendance at an HYPSM-tier school, having a decorated career prior to medicine, or just genuinely excelling independently at every category of the application... everyone had a dash of something that made them special. You obviously are not going to see that written anywhere, but it's an n=1 at a school you say you want to go to, so that's what I can offer.

Personally I don't think CRC would do that for you only because you are already a decorated academic and medicine is not going to be as impressed by more research experiences vs clinical experiences and service. It's not that research isn't important, it's just that medicine is more straightforwardly about the rendering medical care to your local community than it is writing papers and pipetting from vial A to vial B. It helps narratively too, because you want to be able to talk about the impressions you've developed from patients more profoundly than just what research means to you, especially if you are not interested in MD-PhD and would resist being nudged toward PhD programs to the exclusion of medicine altogether.

Of course, you could roll the dice and apply with one of these roles and hope someone bites. I don't think the concern is going to be whether you are competitive at this point, it would be how well you write about your experiences and demonstrate fit at the schools you apply to.

I think it would come down to how much risk you're willing to take. You may very well get away with the experiences that you already have, it isn't impossible... whether it is likely that the schools you want will respond to your profile is something I'll leave to the professionals, since that exceeds the limits of what my experience is in.
Thank you for taking the time to explain all of this. I regards to developing a stronger service, leadership, and advocacy throughline, I’m partially leaning toward the second position partly because many of its projects are observational and focus on barriers to care and underserved patients in a safety-net setting, which connects more naturally with my existing clinical and service experiences. However, it offers less flexibility with WFH. I know the CRC role itself won’t define my application, but I think it could help me develop a more cohesive direction while I continue clinical work and longitudinal service outside of the job.
 
Thank you for taking the time to explain all of this. I regards to developing a stronger service, leadership, and advocacy throughline, I’m partially leaning toward the second position partly because many of its projects are observational and focus on barriers to care and underserved patients in a safety-net setting, which connects more naturally with my existing clinical and service experiences. However, it offers less flexibility with WFH. I know the CRC role itself won’t define my application, but I think it could help me develop a more cohesive direction while I continue clinical work and longitudinal service outside of the job.

I think this part is up to you. Whether a role is personally convenient or not is something I feel I can't help you decide. It may very well make the most sense for you to take it given your other options. You don't need to be maximally competitive to go to medical school. It just depends on how "neurotic" you want to get about it, and how aggressively you want to apply.