Creatine vs. Natural Sterol

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FuturePharmerOfAmerica

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been a natural bodybuilder for quite some time, but now that I've finally hit my plateau at 225lbs I'm currently trying to cut like 10lbs off. After I do that, assuming I'll lose some lean muscle, I plan on either taking Creatine or Natural Sterol. What are you thoughts? I will most likely be pairing this with a Natural Testosterone Booster.

Serious answers only please!

Members don't see this ad.

For one, natural sterols are bunk and natural test boosters will not raise testosterone to a supraphysiological level to provide any muscle building or sparing benefit. You may get a decent placebo boost though. Save your money and spend it on steak instead.

Two, why are you hesitant on taking creatine... Hard to believe you've never used it before. It is the most researched supplement by far, proven to be safe and efficacious when used properly.

Use creatine monohydrate (the most studied and cheapest/effective version), 5 grams daily for at least a month to reach muscle saturation. After that, you could get away with 3-5 grams on days you lift. Timing is irrelevent, no loading dose necessary. And drink at least a gallon of water each day, as you should be already.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I've been a natural bodybuilder for quite some time, but now that I've finally hit my plateau at 225lbs I'm currently trying to cut like 10lbs off. After I do that, assuming I'll lose some lean muscle, I plan on either taking Creatine or Natural Sterol. What are you thoughts? I will most likely be pairing this with a Natural Testosterone Booster.

So you going to "naturally" boost your testosterone by taking "Natural Testosterone Booster"??

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Serious answer.

If you are serious, consider getting the sports medicine consult and make sure your baseline hormone panel checks out (Testosterone, LH, FSH, HcG) BEFORE you do supplementation as it's damn hard to tell during an altered course. You don't want to give yourself the David treatment (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_(Michelangelo)#/media/File:'David'_by_Michelangelo_JBU0001.JPG) by messing up something that you were deficient or grossly imbalanced at baseline.

Runner, so I don't want/need to get big, but I do get the same hormone checks biennially to make sure I'm not overdoing it (as well as making sure my (*$@ technique isn't going to blow out my precious knees and ankles). I'd recommend you have a spotter do the same for your lifting technique even if you know what you're doing at least annually.

https://www.irunsafe.com/multidisciplinary-assessment

Get baseline labs if you plan on experimenting. Not sure Creatine would help with body recomposition; it's more helpful for performance in terms of training volume. I would not be concerned about losing muscle if you keep protein intake adequate (no need for bull**** BCAAs). That's a really high weight for a natural...I'm guessing you have way more to lose than you think unless you have ridiculous height/proportions

Get baseline labs if you plan on experimenting. Not sure Creatine would help with body recomposition; it's more helpful for performance in terms of training volume. I would not be concerned about losing muscle if you keep protein intake adequate (no need for bull**** BCAAs). That's a really high weight for a natural...I'm guessing you have way more to lose than you think unless you have ridiculous height/proportions

Agreed on BCAAs not being necessary whatsoever and keeping protein and volume high.

I've always maintained strength on cuts when I continue to lift heavy and stay in the 6-10 rep range. Don't go light and high reps, that is how I've lost muscle on a cut.

edit: I hope your nutrition is on track, because the caloric deficit is the only thing truly necessary here. Up your cardio slightly, but losing weight at a steady rate ~0.5lb - 1lb/week is what you should be aiming for with your deficit.

For one, natural sterols are bunk and natural test boosters will not raise testosterone to a supraphysiological level to provide any muscle building or sparing benefit. You may get a decent placebo boost though. Save your money and spend it on steak instead.

Two, why are you hesitant on taking creatine... Hard to believe you've never used it before. It is the most researched supplement by far, proven to be safe and efficacious when used properly.

Use creatine monohydrate (the most studied and cheapest/effective version), 5 grams daily for at least a month to reach muscle saturation. After that, you could get away with 3-5 grams on days you lift. Timing is irrelevent, no loading dose necessary. And drink at least a gallon of water each day, as you should be already.
I never used creatine because at the time I was unemployed and didn't feel like asking my parents for creatine when I didn't truly need it. Now that I have a job, and I hit a wall on strength, I thought I could use something.
I'll look more into Creatine Monohydrate! Thank you so much for your input!

So you going to "naturally" boost your testosterone by taking "Natural Testosterone Booster"??
Instead of injecting androgen and other testosterone-like stuff I'd be providing my body with the nutrients to create it's own Testosterone. Therefore, naturally.

Well in highschool I had a personal trainer, and I was recruited to play college ball. My dad's side of the family are pretty stocky fellows. I'm only 5'11.
Thank you! I was curious about BCAAs, but from what some are saying....it looks like they wouldn't be needed.

Serious answer.

If you are serious, consider getting the sports medicine consult and make sure your baseline hormone panel checks out (Testosterone, LH, FSH, HcG) BEFORE you do supplementation as it's damn hard to tell during an altered course. You don't want to give yourself the David treatment (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_(Michelangelo)#/media/File:'David'_by_Michelangelo_JBU0001.JPG) by messing up something that you were deficient or grossly imbalanced at baseline.

Runner, so I don't want/need to get big, but I do get the same hormone checks biennially to make sure I'm not overdoing it (as well as making sure my (*$@ technique isn't going to blow out my precious knees and ankles). I'd recommend you have a spotter do the same for your lifting technique even if you know what you're doing at least annually.

https://www.irunsafe.com/multidisciplinary-assessment
What is the David Treatment? I'm curious..

Instead of injecting androgen and other testosterone-like stuff I'd be providing my body with the nutrients to create it's own Testosterone. Therefore, naturally.

Honestly, are you a pharmacy student (or practicing pharmacist)? What year are you in?

You should be well aware that creatine has zero to do with testosterone... it's beneficial in the fact of producing more ATP.

Well in highschool I had a personal trainer, and I was recruited to play college ball. My dad's side of the family are pretty stocky fellows. I'm only 5'11.
Thank you! I was curious about BCAAs, but from what some are saying....it looks like they wouldn't be needed.

If you eat plenty of protein in your diet already (I shoot for at least 1.5g/lb personally), there is zero reason to need a BCAA supplement. You're already getting aminos in your food...

I'd take all of them as long as it says all natural on the label.