Creative uses for post 9/11 GI bill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone have any creative uses for post-9/11 GI bill? No plans to do a fellowship. No plans to try to transfer it to a family member. Am not looking to learn another profession or get another degree. I think it may be possible to use it to pay for licensing or board cert fees? Any experience? (I realize many see this as a waste but given my current trajectory it is going to go completely unused. I'd rather get something..even if it is a small fraction of what the GIB is worth...rather than nothing).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How about flight training? Or some part time trade school like auto mechanic. You could restore and old car or something. Learn to weld and build some cool stuff. Take some basic business or accounting classes at a local community college.
 
I was going to get back into flying, but watched some crash and burn youtubes.
 
Beechcraft-Ad.jpg
 
Does the GI bill really cover anything and everything (i.e. trade school, tech school, flight school). I hadn’t thought about auto mechanic stuff cuz that would be awesome but I’ve always wanted to get a helicopter license but the 60-70 G’s for the course have persuaded me otherwise.
 
Does the GI bill really cover anything and everything (i.e. trade school, tech school, flight school). I hadn’t thought about auto mechanic stuff cuz that would be awesome but I’ve always wanted to get a helicopter license but the 60-70 G’s for the course have persuaded me otherwise.

It has limits for sure. It will cover a lot though. You have to go through a part 141 school for the post 9/11 GI Bill to cover flight training. The best way is to go through a program attached to a community college or other college/university.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can I use the GI Bill to pay for flight training?
You can get benefits for flight training if you meet all of the requirements listed below.

All of these must be true. You:

  • Qualify for the Post-9/11 GI Bill, Montgomery GI Bill, or Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP), and
  • Have a private pilot’s license, and
  • Have a second-class medical certificate valid for second-class privileges—or a first-class medical certificate if you want to pursue the Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) certificate
Note: You can’t qualify for flight training benefits through Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA).


Flight Training: VA.gov