Creative ways to spend CME?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GonnaBeADoc2222

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My "not for profit" "academic" hospital system has gone fill third reich, and while C-suite admins can still make 1 mil+, us lowly pit docs have had our CME accounts severely restricted. We can no longer use the money for conferences, and cannot use it for any equipment, or hardware (computers, ultrasounds, etc.). They've also gotten smart to the CME packages that offer gift cards. I don't want to buy textbooks. They're essentially trying to re-capture funds that are contractually owed to us.

I've already joined AAEM and the Wilderness Medicine Society, but need to blow another 3k-ish. Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

What kind of CME money does not cover a conference? Insane.

Some professional organizations have lifetime memberships available that could burn a few thousand in CME and let you take the benefit with you if you change jobs. Some advertise, some you might have to reach out to. I like EBmedicine as a CME subscription and there are plenty of CME online video courses that could be good (Radiopaedia, Dont Forget the Bubbles, Essentials of EM).

Reactions: 1 users
My "not for profit" "academic" hospital system has gone fill third reich, and while C-suite admins can still make 1 mil+, us lowly pit docs have had our CME accounts severely restricted. We can no longer use the money for conferences, and cannot use it for any equipment, or hardware (computers, ultrasounds, etc.). They've also gotten smart to the CME packages that offer gift cards. I don't want to buy textbooks. They're essentially trying to re-capture funds that are contractually owed to us.

I've already joined AAEM and the Wilderness Medicine Society, but need to blow another 3k-ish. Any ideas?
Buy books, return them.

State medical association membership?

I mean, if you can't go to meetings, can't be equipment , can't be electronics, and you've got all the memberships you want I'm not sure what else. UpToDate subscription?

Virtual meetings I guess?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They will cover the conference fee, but not the travel expenses....wtf

Thought about the lifetime memberships, but they have already pushed back on multiyear subs on other things, even ABEM certification...

They will cover the conference fee, but not the travel expenses....wtf

Thought about the lifetime memberships, but they have already pushed back on multiyear subs on other things, even ABEM certification...
Agree w/ @VA Hopeful Dr on this one. Find some expensive textbooks. Buy them. Get reimbursed. Return them. Pocket money. Seriously, screw your hospital. That will save them so little money in the long run and burns so much goodwill. The cost/benefit ratio just isn't there.

Reactions: 4 users

Crazy when our CMG has decided we can use the cme money for gym memberships , dinner out etc and label it “wellness”

Agree w/ @VA Hopeful Dr on this one. Find some expensive textbooks. Buy them. Get reimbursed. Return them. Pocket money. Seriously, screw your hospital. That will save them so little money in the long run and burns so much goodwill. The cost/benefit ratio just isn't there.
Also agree, bizarre to put so much effort into what our CMO calls a “one comma number “ .. any idea what changed?

This is the same crap docs have to deal with from drug reps. We can't get a pencil but all lawyers/politicians/hospital administrator can get inside info/wine&dined/gift cards. What a load of crap IMO.

I sure as heck would use up all the 3K. From the restrictions, looks like textbooks are the only things you can get. If so, I agree with get receipt and return them.

I don't have many hills I would die on, but this may be one I would revolt against.

Make your own CME conference. Get a group of your local academic physicians together and pay $3k to lecture to each other for obscene honorariums at a local resort with wellness activities, free childcare, and top-tier catering.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Make your own CME conference. Get a group of your local academic physicians together and pay $3k to lecture to each other for obscene honorariums at a local resort with wellness activities, free childcare, and top-tier catering.
OP said they can't use CME for conferences

like what?

:)

My university was very strict about this as well. Essentially just bought multiple books from amazon. Sent them the reciept then just dropped them all off at Kohls without even packaging them. There's also other drop off location. Just bring the email return receipt.

Stat Pearls has a lifetime membership that runs about $2500, so will get you most of the way there. There are other options like apps, etc. Even if you get CME with a gift card and they don't reimburse the gc, most of those can cost up to $2500 after the GC.

I wrote a list of some of these and other creative ways to use CME money, hope it's ok to post 9 Unconventional CME Activities for Post Pandemic Education