Credentialing without finishing Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TomTalus

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings!
I am a first year resident, 6 months in, and contemplating finishing my first year, which qualifies me for licensure in my state, and leaving to practice on my own. My program director is absolutely malignant and i am not interested in having a surgical practice. I cant see myself being able to tolerate this toxic environment throughout the duration.
I am curious about credentialing with insurance companies in my private practice without completion or am i going to be stuck as a cash only provider? Could i team up with someone already credentialed or do i have to be individually credentialed regardless if i have a partner or am in a group?

Has anyone else been down this road?
Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Tough it out or transfer ASAP. You only get one chance to establish your "training" residency whatever. If you don't complete it, you are condemning yourself as a third class citizen in a second class profession. it is not about the surgery. It is about the insurance panel and options for you if private practice does not work out and marketing yourself as a private doctor if it does.

Reactions: 5 users
Tough it out or transfer ASAP. You only get one chance to establish your "training" residency whatever. If you don't complete it, you are condemning yourself as a third class citizen in a second class profession. it is not about the surgery. It is about the insurance panel and options for you if private practice does not work out and marketing yourself as a private doctor if it does.

Uncanny. It’s as if I wrote this response. Bunfxr’s comments are 100% accurate.

There are very few things you can’t tolerate for 2 more years. If you can’t ride out the storm with your current program, look for a transfer somewhere.

It’s very easy to say you don’t want to ever perform surgery, but that’s a decision you may regret the remainder of your career. You may choose not to perform major reconstructive or rearfoot/ankle cases. But you may want to perform surgery for hammertoes, cysts, ganglion cysts, neuromas, soft tissue lesions, etc.

As bunfxr so accurately wrote, don’t be a third class citizen in a second class profession. If you have zero surgical skills, there’s really not much that will differentiate you from an NP or P.A.

There’s no turning back if you give up your training. Chances of having remorse are great and chances of obtaining another residency in the future are slim.

Some insurance companies now require you to have a hospital affiliation which won’t happen without a residency.

PLEASE don’t bail out yet. Persevere until you can find another program. Don’t take an action you will no doubt regret some day. Have the training and ability to be able to some day decide you don’t want to perform surgery, versus CAN’T perform surgery.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. Transfer. People do it all the time. Quitting is an awful idea.

Dang. Don’t be a third class citizen in a second class profession. Harsh, but fair.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." -- Eleanor Roosevelt

...but get your full residency training anyway. One year is no longer enough.

Reactions: 1 user