credit for graduate school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tomplatz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here been successful in getting credit for graduate degrees once they went active as docs? I was told by AFPC and AFIT that I'd get 2 years extra time in rank when I became a capt. After doing a few ADTs, I'm getting this sinking feeling I was lied to. I can't find any official documentation on this.

Anyone know?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

tomplatz said:
Has anyone here been successful in getting credit for graduate degrees once they went active as docs? I was told by AFPC and AFIT that I'd get 2 years extra time in rank when I became a capt. After doing a few ADTs, I'm getting this sinking feeling I was lied to. I can't find any official documentation on this.

Anyone know?
Thanks.

If your graduate degree is related to medicine, you should be able to get some time for it. It's called constructive credit. They sent us an E-mail during our fourth year regarding it. If you look on the Army AMEDD website, one of the documents had some information on it.

Ed

At last a post to which I can reply. I had a PhD before going to medical school. I made sure that information was in my file (I don't know about the AF, but the Army has your file accessable online so that you can ensure the proper info is there) by having transcripts sent to the HPSP office. Like the previous poster mentioned during the FYGME application process in your 4th year you receive a letter (or email) stating that you should ensure all the information is in place. Since I already did that during the HPSP application phase, there was no issue and I received an additional 4 years of constructive service credit.

What is constructive service credit, you ask? Well, it is time for which you receive credit toward promotion. NOT toward retirement and NOT toward pay. Essentially I am starting residency with "4 years" under my belt as a captain, but getting paid the same as the rest of the interns. In the Army there is a 6 year promotion scale where after 6 years in captain one is promoted to major, 6 years as major to lt. col. So I have 4 already and will be eligible to be promoted to major in 2 years.

Does this make sense?

G

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm guessing not a 4 year advance in promotion, but what if you have a masters? 2 years? Is there something you had to fill out?

helloagain said:
I'm guessing not a 4 year advance in promotion, but what if you have a masters? 2 years? Is there something you had to fill out?

Yes there is paper work. You also have to send them transcripts. Try googling "constructive credit"

ed