Credit Score Needed for Loans???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZekeMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is in the wrong forum, but the finance one is empty as usual.

I just ordered my credit report and I don't know what to make of my credit score. It says its on a scale from 150-930 and I have a 733. I assume thats decent, but is there an optimal score that you would want to be above before entering medical school? I'm pretty clueless about this whole process.

Members don't see this ad.

I used to work in a mortgage department at a bank (hellishly boring job) and, from what I learned there, 733 is a very good credit score. It would at least qualify you to get a mortgage on a house. So, I'm guessing it would also be apt to qualify you for loans.

I had a credit report and I was given two scores. The first one was a score for the range 350-850 and the second score was a scaled score in the 0-100 range. I'm not sure which score most people look at.

Members don't see this ad :)
well luckily fafsa doesnt need any of that.

i dont even want to get my credit report. i know its gonna be sub 600s

I highly recommend getting copies of your credit reports. If you have the need to apply for a private loan for med school, they will look at it. And credit reports are notorious for having wrong information -- I recenlty ordered mine from the three bureaus (Equifax, TrasnUnion, and Eperian), and they each said I had filed for bankruptcy... which obviously I have not! I called each and disputed, and the bankruptcy was taken off after an investigation.

So, it's for your benefit to look at yours!

Learned at an interview today that the general minimum benchmark needed for private loans is 620. Congratulations, you are financially qualified to attend medical school.

If you have someone to co-sign, you can get money from anywhere......

You will not not go to medical school because you have bad credit.

How can I get my credit report?

There's 3 agencies' reports. Try myfico.com. It costs around 40 bucks for all of them.

Edit- This was the website recommend by a FinAid person at a school. I haven't used it myself, but apparently there's calculators you can play around with that would help you project what your new credit score would be if you did things (i.e. closed a card, paid off a card, etc)

There are three credit reporting bureaus, and they're all a bit different so you should request one from each. If you go to www.equifax.com (Equifax is one of them), you can get a copy of your credit report from each of these agencies, I think.

For the op, a FICO rating of 733 is outstanding. In general, your credit rating is considered very good as long as it is 700+. Last year the cutoff for a housing loan was 680, so for a med school loan, since they're considered relatively low risk, you're in good territory.

Just a couple of things-
If you're recently out of school like I am, these are the things that you should watch out for.
Timely payments - obviously
Duration of bank accounts - don't go closing accounts that you don't need. Just keep em open and let em sit.
and don't check your credit rating too frequently, as it will bring down your rating.