credits

Discussion in 'Pre-Physical Therapy' started by Anthony 44, 01.13.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Anthony 44

Anthony 44

DPT / OTD
    Is 139 credits a unusually large for a DPT program? I was accepted into Stony Brook University which is requiring a total of 139 credits with semesters sometimes having over 20 credits compared to NYIT which only has 100 total credits and around 15 to 17 per semester

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Ptroni91

Ptroni91 2+ Year Member

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]

yes, that is a ton of credits. To compare it to some other NY DPT programs (LIU requires 118 credits, Hunter requires 105 credits, Touro requires 122.5 credits, Downstate requires 135.5)

4. Anthony 44

Anthony 44

DPT / OTD
    I'm just having a hard time deciding between schools. I know Stonybrook has a great reputation but I'm wondering if that amount of credits is gone be overwhelming to an already intense program

5. Ptroni91

Ptroni91 2+ Year Member

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
    Go with the cheaper option - advice that I've gotten from every DPT graduate that I spoken to

6. Azimuthal

Azimuthal Ninja Zombie Slayer 2+ Year Member

Physical Therapist
    Is there a correlation between credits and program rigor? I'm betting not. Choo$e the best program fit for you.

Last edited: 01.15.14
  7. DesertPT

DesertPT ` 2+ Year Member

Physical Therapy Student
    The 2012-13 CAPTE Fact Sheet lists the average number of credits in a DPT program as about 116. Perhaps the program you are referencing is just structured a little differently? I suppose the only way to really compare programs would be the total number of didactic and clinical coursework hours required. The average number of hours is also found in the Fact Sheet. Finding those numbers for individual schools is probably a bit difficult and largely irrelevant, though I'm sure they exist somewhere.

In the end everyone will always just tell you to choose whatever school is the cheapest. :)

http://www.capteonline.org/uploaded...gram_Data/AggregateProgramData_PTPrograms.pdf

About the ads