Creighton Distance: Networking, teaming, lectures?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SeniorNewbie

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm seriously considering Creighton's distance program. I have a few questions for those who might be able to advise:

Do you have any video access to classes or is it audio only? Are live links ever offered (so you can attend class simultaneously with campus students? If you have questions on a lecture, how do you get them answered?

Do you use conference bridges for office hours -- allowing you to "listen in" on others questions and the answers...or are there personal phone calls only?

Can students form teams and use conference bridges or other collaboration tools?

Do you collaborate on projects with other students? What tools do you use? Do you have access to tools like MS LiveMeeting (TM)?

I'm trying to understand the practical aspects of taking this distance program. I've done independent study, but that does not usually get me engaged with either fellow students or the professor much, since I have all the material. It's just me and the books, guides, and my PC to write papers. So, how does collaboration work at Creighton?

For the summer, is it 2 straight weeks (hotel and all?) for the labs? Do you get to network then with fellow distance students (and see their faces and maybe socialize a little)?

Thanks for your help!
 
I'm seriously considering Creighton's distance program. I have a few questions for those who might be able to advise:

Do you have any video access to classes or is it audio only? Are live links ever offered (so you can attend class simultaneously with campus students? If you have questions on a lecture, how do you get them answered

Do you use conference bridges for office hours -- allowing you to "listen in" on others questions and the answers...or are there personal phone calls only?

Can students form teams and use conference bridges or other collaboration tools

Do you collaborate on projects with other students? What tools do you use? Do you have access to tools like MS LiveMeeting (TM)?

I'm trying to understand the practical aspects of taking this distance program. I've done independent study, but that does not usually get me engaged with either fellow students or the professor much, since I have all the material. It's just me and the books, guides, and my PC to write papers. So, how does collaboration work at Creighton

For the summer, is it 2 straight weeks (hotel and all?) for the labs? Do you get to network then with fellow distance students (and see their faces and maybe socialize a little

Thanks for your help!

Audio for all, video for most (all but 1 each semester thus far. Each video lecture is a split screen on our laptop, with the powerpoint on one side and the professor walking around on the other side. Live links are not offered. The lectures are made available to us within hours after the live lecture.

Not sure if I know what you mean by 'bridges,' but professors occasionally do separate exam reviews in our conferencing system where we can listen/interact with everyone on the system.

Yes

Yes, we collaborate with other students. This semester we have 2 group projects so far. We will be using a program called CULive, but we can collaborate however our group wants in which ever program we want.

This is NOT an independent study program, where you decide deadlines as long as they are within the semester. We have strict, set guidelines for handing in things, taking exams, assignments, etc. They are the same exact dates as our campus students. So there is no way to get too far behind. We collaborate with other students and professors thru email, messengering, CULive conferencing, video/audio lectures, phone, etc. Everything a campus student has available to them we have to us, with the option of in-person items. However, during the summers we come together for 1 or 2 weeks to do our labs on campus. Overall so far I feel quite engaged with both my professors and many classmates. Though, this is indeed a different program than being on campus - you do have to have self-motivation and self-discipline.

See above. You have the option of staying on campus, staying at a hotel, or staying with a relative in the area if you have one. We are together for 8-10 hours per day face-to-face, so, yes, we network and get to know each other better.
 
I would like to know answers to those questions too.

Not sure...but I think Creighton offers dorms to stay during the summer lab at a cheaper rate.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You are awesome 🙂 ( and ofcourse omnione too😀). Both of you have been very helpful in providing useful informations about Creighton's pharmacy program. Once again, Thank you so much.
 
No problem! Really glad to answer questions, because I know it's not too explicit on the school website. I had some unanswered questions even when I was accepted.
 
I would like to know answers to those questions too.

Not sure...but I think Creighton offers dorms to stay during the summer lab at a cheaper rate.

That is true - at least they did last year for orientation. I stayed in a hotel so I can't comment on the dorms, but they were substantially cheaper!
 
I'm seriously considering Creighton's distance program. I have a few questions for those who might be able to advise:

Do you have any video access to classes or is it audio only? Are live links ever offered (so you can attend class simultaneously with campus students? If you have questions on a lecture, how do you get them answered?

Do you use conference bridges for office hours -- allowing you to "listen in" on others questions and the answers...or are there personal phone calls only?

Can students form teams and use conference bridges or other collaboration tools?

Do you collaborate on projects with other students? What tools do you use? Do you have access to tools like MS LiveMeeting (TM)?

I'm trying to understand the practical aspects of taking this distance program. I've done independent study, but that does not usually get me engaged with either fellow students or the professor much, since I have all the material. It's just me and the books, guides, and my PC to write papers. So, how does collaboration work at Creighton?

For the summer, is it 2 straight weeks (hotel and all?) for the labs? Do you get to network then with fellow distance students (and see their faces and maybe socialize a little)?

Thanks for your help!

Drugdoc is right on, as always! Another thing to add - if you happen to have classmates nearby (it happens occasionally), you can always get together in person too for collaboration purposes. And as for questions about courses/lectures, in addition to contacting the professor (via just about any method except in person!), we also have "mentors" for most classes - contact people to whom we can direct questions or problems with the class, so we are never really without somewhere to turn if we need help.
 
That is true - at least they did last year for orientation. I stayed in a hotel so I can't comment on the dorms, but they were substantially cheaper!

Thanks ajh88🙂. I really really appreciate all your help. Once again, Thanks.
 
This has been helpful. Thanks to ajh88 and drugdoc. You folks are already serving people!

I would assume you can move during matriculation -- P1 in Illinois, P2 in Arizona if that's where your life leads? As to taking exams in different places -- can you use any proctored site, or is that an arrangement you need to make between Creighton and the proctored site? If I'm in St. Louis for 2 weeks, but normally in Chicago for example...can I quickly hook up with a proctored site for a short period?

The bridges I'm talking about for collaboration are conference bridges-- I think you're saying that, for example, the review sessions involve a conference bridge...where everyone is present on an audio bridge -- so the professor can answer questions live, and folks can ad lib questions in real time? -- and I assume CUlive is some kind of software that lets everyone see the same thing on a PC screen? I'm thinking any kind of help session might be that way...or so called recitation section of a class where there's a large amount of interaction between professor/instructor and students.

This is very common in my industry with employees flung all over the world. If I hold a meeting, I host a PC session, I drive the contents of my screen (to which everyone is hooked up through the wonder of software and networking) and we all chat on a conference bridge. It's not *quite* as good as face to face, but a heck of a lot cheaper and with folks fluent in a common language, nearly as effective.

Thanks again for all your help! How do you find the time? Classes must be in a lull eh? 😎
 
Yes, you could move during matriculation - I don't see how that would be a problem. As for setting up a "quick" switch to a different proctored site, it would be a little more complicated than that, but I think it would still be possible depending on circumstances. For most exams, materials are snail-mailed to the proctor site about a week in advance - if you were to use an alternative site, that material would have to be mailed there instead. Plus, you would have to make sure there is an official proctor site already in place for the area you are visiting. It would just require proactive communication on your part to get it set up properly. And as an aside, we typically get our exam schedule for the entire semester the first week of classes, so you could theoretically plan most travel around exam dates (as much as possible).

Yes, I think you have the right idea about CU Live - voice-over IP capable, real-time texting, software sharing capable, etc. This is the program we have used (so far) when we have to give class presentations.

I should be doing homework - I just got distracted by the internet. 😉 What can I say, it is one of the pitfalls of being on your computer for so many hours a day!
 
Great info. Thank you.

Do distance students generally make friends among their classmates? I can observe some of your interactions on sdn...but is there another forum -- a virtual coffee shop or something? Does Creighton actively promote/support your developing friendships and a strong network during your matriculation? Are there regular pharmacy conferences that are open to students where you might get to meet with your classmates and others? Do you have any relationship with the campus students?

Creighton makes a big deal of an 11:1 ratio of students to faculty...how do you observe it? Seems to me there are 165 students across dist/campus, all pretty much taking the same classes...do you see classes of smaller numbers (besides electives)? Do you get to know your professors? (165 students vying for a professors time would severely limit his or her available time for getting to know everyone...) Would you think a distance student would generally feel comfortable asking for a reference from them?

The Creighton literature spends time discussing the service and human aspect of the training -- and I think I saw an ethics class elective -- What's your experience of the Creighton orienting principles: "Anchored in ethics, Centered on service, Committed to excellence?" Do you have specific practical opportunities to develop the service and ethical aspects of your development? Maybe that grows as a P2, P3?

I apologize for asking so many questions 😱 -- these are things I need to ask the Creighton people when I interview on 1/25, but until then, I'm interested learning what I can and getting YOUR perspectives so I can ask fair questions and dig in a little bit to the program.

I deeply appreciate your help.🙂
 
Great info. Thank you.

Do distance students generally make friends among their classmates? I can observe some of your interactions on sdn...but is there another forum -- a virtual coffee shop or something? Does Creighton actively promote/support your developing friendships and a strong network during your matriculation? Are there regular pharmacy conferences that are open to students where you might get to meet with your classmates and others? Do you have any relationship with the campus students?

Creighton makes a big deal of an 11:1 ratio of students to faculty...how do you observe it? Seems to me there are 165 students across dist/campus, all pretty much taking the same classes...do you see classes of smaller numbers (besides electives)? Do you get to know your professors? (165 students vying for a professors time would severely limit his or her available time for getting to know everyone...) Would you think a distance student would generally feel comfortable asking for a reference from them?

The Creighton literature spends time discussing the service and human aspect of the training -- and I think I saw an ethics class elective -- What's your experience of the Creighton orienting principles: "Anchored in ethics, Centered on service, Committed to excellence?" Do you have specific practical opportunities to develop the service and ethical aspects of your development? Maybe that grows as a P2, P3?

I apologize for asking so many questions 😱 -- these are things I need to ask the Creighton people when I interview on 1/25, but until then, I'm interested learning what I can and getting YOUR perspectives so I can ask fair questions and dig in a little bit to the program.

I deeply appreciate your help.🙂

Short response for now, as I need to get back to my studies...

1. Friends - YES! Don't think that just because we're miles away that we don't have friends. I made 4 very good friends (others, as well) that I have weekly messenger chats each week. We talk about school a little, and our personal lives a lot. I'd say that in general, half of us email out to everyone each week or so about various assignments, etc., so you do have contact with many people over the weeks/semester. There are conferences where you can meet the campus students, and I have done this. I met 3 campus students this past semester. This semester we have electives (none for fall), so we will be communicating more with them through these.

2. 11:1 ratio. Hmmmm... I'd say that's probably a bit less, but I could be wrong. Last semester we had each class with 1-3 head instructors and 2-3 mentors per class. So if you divide that by 165, it'd be off by a bit. This semester we have 2 classes that have 7 head instructors each, with a few mentors per class. So that is closer to the 11:1. BUT....when you're distance the 11:1 doesn't really mean much. I have NEVER had a problem with an instructor getting back to me from minutes after I email to probably only 12 hours later. It really doesn't seem like an issue. You get to know your professors as much or as little as you want. I ask questions when I don't understand things, so I do have contact with them often. I'd feel comfortable asking a few for references in the future if needed - the classes that I was most involved with.

3. Ethics, service, excellence. Creighton is big on it's school ignatian values. I'll say it that when I was researching CU I was confused by the whole Jesuit thing and if I needed to be Jesuit in order to apply. That is not the case. You can be any denomination or none.....though much more emphasis is on having one, I've seen. Each professor has the option of focusing some of their class time on Jesuit values; some do, some don't put them in their class. What CU wants to see most of all is a person who is at CU to serve others, ultimately. Humankind, love, justice, etc. You'll see it over and over again as a big emphasis. Service - more opportunties if you are a campus student, but as distance, yes you do things. This semester we're required to do a service project. At our orientation week we did a service project of sorts.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!
 
So for the lectures are they veiwable only at an assigned time or can you log on whenever?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In addition to having access to lectures 24/7, another advantage is that you can fast forward, rewind, watch at 2x speed, replay a confusing statement, etc. I find that this is very helpful in moving quickly through straight-forward concepts and in clarifying more difficult ones. Last semester we had just one class that limited the time you had to access the videos (you had until the following Friday--just to make sure we stayed on course) but other than that we have had complete access--watch them once, twice...three times if you're needing it!
 
Are those of you that are enrolled in the distance learning program employeed full time? What is your average time commitment to the program?
 
Only 1 person of the 55 who I know of are employed full time. They highly, highly, highly discourage it. You have to treat school like a full-time job. I do 40-50 hours per week for school, sometimes more. Some people don't work at all; most people work 10-15/20 hours per week. Anything more, in my opinion, is surely problematic with getting good grades and even passing some courses.

The program is EXACTLY like a campus program in regards to number and types of classes, amount of work, deadlines, etc. The program isn't designed to allow people to work as much as they want and attend classes at the same time.
 
I think the most they suggested working was about 15-20 hours per week - as drugdoc said - HIGHLY discourage trying to work full-time. That isn't to say it hasn't been done before (or won't be done again), but they made it a point to tell us that when they see students in academic probation situations, it is common that they are trying to work too much.

For me, I work 24 hours a week now. At the beginning of fall, I was working about 32 hours a week and it was too much for me, so I cut it back. I really can't stress enough that you have to approach it just as if you had to go to a classroom every day - it isn't something where you can log on for an hour a day and be OK, or blow it off for a week and catch up.

All that being said, I definitely recommend having a job in a pharmacy - even if its one night or day a week. I have found that it has really helped me synthesize a lot of the information we learn about in class more easily than if it were just an abstract concept.
 
I am considering applying for the online program next year, but I am not very computer savy when it comes to all this hardware. Are the programs hard to use, or do you need to have a special computer? For class presentations, are you actually seeing people on the screen or just hearing their voices?

Also, how long each day are you actually online versus reading or doing papers/projects? I am trying to get a feel for like what a typical school day would be like.

Since they only take 55 people for the program, is it pretty hard to be accepted? Any info would help, thanks!
 
Only 1 person of the 55 who I know of are employed full time. They highly, highly, highly discourage it. You have to treat school like a full-time job. I do 40-50 hours per week for school, sometimes more. Some people don't work at all; most people work 10-15/20 hours per week. Anything more, in my opinion, is surely problematic with getting good grades and even passing some courses.

The program is EXACTLY like a campus program in regards to number and types of classes, amount of work, deadlines, etc. The program isn't designed to allow people to work as much as they want and attend classes at the same time.
I am just starting to look for school for next fall. Am I able to live anywhere during this program, except the summer? Because I live in Massachusetts now. How does this program work. There isn't much information online.

AS far as acceptance rate? Do you know what it is? How many students are enrolled each other out of the people that apply? And how many people end up dropping out?
 
Bluerose5858: You are able to live anywhere in the US and canada, I believe. During the summer, you will spend 1-2 in Omaha performing labs.

As far as the acceptance rate goes, I wouldnt concern yourself too much with those numbers. It really depends on when you get your app into the school. They sort of work on a rolling admissions as far as landing an interview is concerned.

I saw a powerpoint online that stated only 1 or 2 students dropping out of the program when it first began and that was due to the student going back to work. Correct me if I am wrong, the program has a very high NAPLEX pass rate, higher than the campus based program.

I will be applying in the summer for 09 admissions, I hope this info helps!
Good luck
 
Rolling admission? Are you applying in the summer for the Spring Semester?? How does the application work with rolling admission?

I have yet to take Org Chem I+II. I just noticed this last night, that those subject is on the PCAT. any suggestions what I should do????
 
What I meant by "sort of" rolling admissions is that applicants that apply early, tend to have a better chance of getting an interview than others that apply later. Other pharmacy programs do have rolling admissions.

Crieghton takes students one time a year in the fall. I will apply a year before the program begins(hopefully).

I would suggest taking the PCAT in October while taking O-chem I. You could always take the PCAT over the summer just to see what you get.