Creighton-Phoenix School of Medicine vs. University of Minnesota Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which medical school is the best choice for me?

• Total voters

23andMD

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Thank you for any and all input into which medical school would be the most sound decision for me. I have attended both admitted student days and seen both campuses. Please let me know of any additional pros/cons you had too if you are considering either of these schools.

1. U of Minnesota
Pros:
Cheaper (62k/year COA; 40k less than CUSOM, 160K difference total)
Home state (close to family)
U of Minnesota Medical Center is well established across the state of MN

Cons:
Attended undergraduate here (personally want experience out-of-state)
Campus appearance is older
Less compelling match list (relatively speaking)? Please let me know if I am wrong here.
Potential rotations across the Twin Cities and surrounding metro (would require moving during years 3+4)
Heavy focus on primary care (interested in EM, ortho, and radiology as of now)

2. Creighton-Phoenix
Pros:
Location is phenomenal (personally very excited for the opportunity to live somewhere new)
Compelling match list (relatively speaking)
10+ year relationship with Dignity health at St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center
Campus is brand new (some innovative techniques for anatomy too!)

Cons:
Expensive (99k/year COA)
NEW Creighton University Arizona Health Education Alliance-collaboration between sorrowing schools (maybe pro??)

Members don't see this ad.

Current UMN student, so I won't weigh in on your overall decision. Just curious why you think the UMN match list is less compelling? It looks relatively similar to Creighton on first glance. One thing about the UMN match list that people often forget is that there are 65 students from the Duluth campus who were selected specifically for their commitment to primary care/rural health.

Current UMN student, so I won't weigh in on your overall decision. Just curious why you think the UMN match list is less compelling? It looks relatively similar to Creighton on first glance. One thing about the UMN match list that people often forget is that there are 65 students from the Duluth campus who were selected specifically for their commitment to primary care/rural health.

Yea I think that aspect (having Duluth students focused on primary care/rural health) probably skewed it a bit. Nevertheless, that was not a primary concern for either school, but I appreciate the reminder. That’s good to keep in mind.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
UMN def, it is significantly cheaper and more prestigious

Reactions: 1 user