Creighton..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow! I am glad to here this. I have an interview at Creighton on 1/25 and I just recently noticed the anatomy requirement. I am applying to multiple schools and I thought I had just overlooked it. I was very close to cancelling my interview. Thanks for the heads up.

Members don't see this ad.

The anatomy requirement is for fall '09 applicants, not fall '08 applicants. I spoke with the admissions office about this (panic may have been one of the reasons I called...). The web info indicating the requirement just came out early last week (11/26 or so). If you have paper materials that were sent to you for fall '08, you'll notice no anatomy class requirement.

And the curriculum does include anatomy for fall '08 entrants.

Phew!

Thanks for the heads up as that requirement took me by surprise. The admissions office needs to make that explicit on the website. The microeconomics requirement is for Fall 2009, but Creighton was less clear about the anatomy requirement. I still need to ask if they plan to phase out the anatomy course in first semester as it seems rather redundant to require anatomy yet force students to take it again the first semester.

What is it like right now in Omaha??
I wish you and your classmates well.
My thoughts are with you during this difficult time.

Mike:confused:

As far as I know, nobody in my class was a victim probably because class and finals kept people from the Westroads mall. Omaha felt like a normal place afterwards so there's no lockdown going down or anything of that nature. The mall will be closed for at least one day but life remains normal aside from the families affected by this tragedy.

I don't live in fear right now despite the event though I am a little uneasy as Nebraska has always been a relatively safe place to live. It still is but events like this shows that places like this can be affected by disturbed individuals. Creighton stepped up immediately and held numerous vigils around campus a few hours ago. We can move on easily but my thoughts go out to the families of the victims as well as the parent of the shooter who must not feel too well right now.

Thank you for your concern.:)

Thanks for the heads up as that requirement took me by surprise. The admissions office needs to make that explicit on the website. The microeconomics requirement is for Fall 2009, but Creighton was less clear about the anatomy requirement. I still need to ask if they plan to phase out the anatomy course in first semester as it seems rather redundant to require anatomy yet force students to take it again the first semester.

Are you allowed to waive certain classes if you've already taken them?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you allowed to waive certain classes if you've already taken them?

Yes. Anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, and microbiology are the popular ones tested out. In general, one has to take a test to test out of courses like those though I know students who only needed to submit a transcript and syllabus involving the course to the school.

I know of a few people who are only taking 11 credit hours this semester due to the waivers. **scowls in envy**

Yes. Anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, and microbiology are the popular ones tested out. In general, one has to take a test to test out of courses like those though I know students who only needed to submit a transcript and syllabus involving the course to the school.

I know of a few people who are only taking 11 credit hours this semester due to the waivers. **scowls in envy**

That clinches it...I was debating whether or not to take biochem and micro next semester...now I am.

Different subject: For the distance pathway, HOW MUCH MORE BENEFICIAL was it to submit the supp app prior to the preferred deadline vs the final deadline?

Always beneficial to apply early. I was in the first round, Jan 26th, 2006. Of 16 of us there, 15 (I think it is) are in our class currently.

I am an older student wanting to apply to pharmacy school. Creighton would be an excellent choice for me since I prefer not to relocate. The problem is that I am VERY concerned what future employers will think about attending pharmacy school over the internet. I read the recent post concerning this issue, but I still have concerns. The school is VERY expensive and the last thing I need late in life is to build up a huge debt and not be able to find employment when I graduate. With all due respect to the program, I have heard some negative comments about this distance program. On the other hand, I have also heard that it is great. Any more comments on the subject?

Also, does anyone have any information concerning the accelerated, 3 year programs offered by some private schools? I am also interested in this, but have heard they are not as desirable as the traditional 4 year. Can anyone offer some information on this for me as well?

I am an older student wanting to apply to pharmacy school. Creighton would be an excellent choice for me since I prefer not to relocate. The problem is that I am VERY concerned what future employers will think about attending pharmacy school over the internet. I read the recent post concerning this issue, but I still have concerns. The school is VERY expensive and the last thing I need late in life is to build up a huge debt and not be able to find employment when I graduate. With all due respect to the program, I have heard some negative comments about this distance program. On the other hand, I have also heard that it is great. Any more comments on the subject?

Also, does anyone have any information concerning the accelerated, 3 year programs offered by some private schools? I am also interested in this, but have heard they are not as desirable as the traditional 4 year. Can anyone offer some information on this for me as well?

Given the high demand of pharmacists, I don't think that finding a job should be an issue. You have to remember that the distance pathway is a mirror of the campus pathway I am going through now. Distance students are held to the same standards as I am held to, tests are exactly the same, the professors are exactly the same. If anything, completing the distance program should be more difficult than completing the campus pathway if one's life at home is hectic.

One gets hired to good pharmacy positions also due to being good at the job itself. That distinction is made through good performance through interning and rotating, not as much with whether or not you took classes in a classroom or from a distance. I will agree that there could be a possible stigma with Creighton's distance pathway. What criticisms have you heard about the program?

Re-read my postings on this. I've mentioned employment in regards to the distance program.

Omg, that's a lot of classes that you can waive! I'll be done with all of that except for biochem.. And I'm taking immuno now too. I just really want an interview now! :scared:

Toomeke-- I was also debating whether or not to take biochem next sem. I might just go ahead and take it too. Haha!

I am not concerned about what employers will think - at the end of the program, I will graduate with a PharmD, along with my campus counterparts. The distance pathway is fully accredited, which I imagine was not an easy task to accomplish. They have been running the pathway for about 7 years (please correct that if I'm wrong - I always forget if it's 7 or 8). Graduates from the distance pathway receive a comparable number of job offers as compared to graduates from the campus pathway.

I look at it as my responsibility as a distance student to educate the people I come into contact with about the program. I personally think it is fantastic and most of the people I have met are more intrigued about how it works than they are about disparaging it. So, I take every opportunity I can to tell them about it and then I demonstrate that I'm not a slacker or less qualified through my work and I let that speak for itself.

I do agree with Omnione - there may be a stigma associated with distance learning. But in my humble opinion, that is shifting - virtual classrooms are cropping up everywhere and I think eventually they will be just another delivery method. That's just my 2 cents - albeit they are biased!

Always beneficial to apply early. I was in the first round, Jan 26th, 2006. Of 16 of us there, 15 (I think it is) are in our class currently.

So you're saying that last year Jan 26th was the first round of interviews. Mine this year is Jan 25th (along with someone else on this thread too). Do you think we are first this time around?? I certainly home so!!! :)

Thank you all for the information. I have just read some critical comments in the past on distance learning and wanted some feedback.

I have another question. Any advice on good 3 year programs? Who has the best program, etc...

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all for the information. I have just read some critical comments in the past on distance learning and wanted some feedback.

I have another question. Any advice on good 3 year programs? Who has the best program, etc...

Thanks

You'll get more hits on this question if you post this as a new thread.

just got my letter saying that i was placed on the alternate list/ in the alternate pool...anyone else hear from them lately?

just got my letter saying that i was placed on the alternate list/ in the alternate pool...anyone else hear from them lately?

WannaB, Would you mind posting your stats? I have a Jan. interview and want to be able to rank myself such that I have realistic expectations. Creighton's my top choice!

Wait a second, I thought Creighton didn't even begin interviews until January, so how could they place anyone on the alternate list before they even interview??? :confused: I'm so confused. . .

Wait a second, I thought Creighton didn't even begin interviews until January, so how could they place anyone on the alternate list before they even interview??? :confused: I'm so confused. . .

They put people on the alternate lists after the primary review and before interviews.

I'm guessing those people are not as high as people who get an interview initially and get put on the alternate list afterwards. Creighton says that they interview about 2 people per seat for a total of about 220 people (based on last year's information that I got). So, I suppose people who get on the list now can get pulled off the list for an interview if people decline Creighton's interview requests. Of course, I don't have that level of access yet.;)

I have no idea. Call or email the school and find out.

Good luck at your interview!

So you're saying that last year Jan 26th was the first round of interviews. Mine this year is Jan 25th (along with someone else on this thread too). Do you think we are first this time around?? I certainly home so!!! :)

Regarding waiving classes, FYI, just because you've taken the class previously doesn't mean that you will automatically waive the class. I submitted for 3 classes, and only waived out of one. They look at the course content to determine if it is a match to their course content. I passed out of anatomy, but didn't physiology or microbiology (both of which I had had TWICE in the past, due to extenuating circumstances).

my stats:

3.5gpa science 3.1
pcat 72, 59, then 88 last october
degree biology/minor psychology
pharmacy tech 1 1/2 years
lots of volunteer work....from MN

Yup, the 25th is the first session.

OMG I'm SO excited? I've had a couple of interview invites but I want to get into Creighton so badly! Now if I could only get over my problem with interview anxiety. My palms drip, my mouth goes dry, my voice goes hoarse (not to mention the relentless trembling) :scared: and I become really over-aware of myself. UGH!! Is this normal, I wonder? I don't know what to do!

my stats:

3.5gpa science 3.1
pcat 72, 59, then 88 last october
degree biology/minor psychology
pharmacy tech 1 1/2 years
lots of volunteer work....from MN

Wow, from an objective perspective, I would have to admit that your stats beat mine for sure. Hopefully you will get pulled off of the alternate list soon!;)

I'm a little scattered today. Omnione, I think I remember reading that you are a student at Creighton, but how do you know so much about their admissions procedures? Are you one of the student interviewers? :rolleyes: Maybe I should have thought twice about using my zip code as part of my screen name. Especially considering my town has a population of only a few thousand, my ap would be easy to pick from a pile. Ha ha, oh well. I'm just so excited about next month!

Did you apply to campus or distance? Sorry if you've answered this already....

Campus. I definitely am the type of personality that requires a classroom setting. I believe I would flounder in a web-based program because I would probably find everything else to do (dishes, vaccuuming, scrubbing the shower tile 3 times daily. . . etc) before I would get on my computer to look at lecture notes. I also thrive off of regular and unnavoidable contact with my classmates and professors. What about you?

I'm a little scattered today. Omnione, I think I remember reading that you are a student at Creighton, but how do you know so much about their admissions procedures? Are you one of the student interviewers? :rolleyes: Maybe I should have thought twice about using my zip code as part of my screen name. Especially considering my town has a population of only a few thousand, my ap would be easy to pick from a pile. Ha ha, oh well. I'm just so excited about next month!

I'm not, but I am trying to position myself to become one. I believe that mainly P3s get those slots.:cool:

Anyway, I'm just speaking from experience while using my knowledge about Creighton resources and this website to piece together the puzzle that is Creighton admissions. I don't know who you are aside from the inference that you are female.;)

Creighton is very quick on decisions so you'll receive word from them two weeks after the interview at most.

After hearing the stats of other so far, I'm thinkin I shouldn't spend the 50 dollars and send in my supplemental to creighton -distance. They have my PharmCAS just not my supplemental.

pharmcas gpas:
Overall 3.83
Non science 3.98
Science 3.71
Science+Math 3.76
Math 4.00
(what my school says my gpa is = 3.890)

My PCAT..83 comp first time, 82 comp second time.

I have extracurriculars, volunteering experiences, etc.
No pharmacy work or shadow experiences so far.

What do you guys think? Automatic reject before interview? Automatic Waitlist before interview? Shut up and just turn it in? ;)

I guess I'll :sleep: on it.

And because I have to use these smilies before I go nuts, random emoticon placements:
+pity+ :beat: :hijacked: :corny: +pity+ +pity+ \ +pity+ +pity+

Here is the class profile from the class of 2011:

Total Enrolled: 55
Average Cumulative GPA: 3.46
Average Prerequisite Science/Math GPA: 3.35
Average PCAT Composite Percentile: 89
Holding Degrees
: 82%
Average Age: 31

I'm not sure why you don't think that you have a chance aside from a lower-than-average PCAT score that isn't super bad. Your GPA is more than adequate.

I got the same letter.. :( It feels strange to be put on the alternate list before an interview. Ahhhh, I'm so sad now.

Testing my signature....

Testing....can't figure out how to get the signature line on a consistent basis!!

So.. Just wondering.. What are my chances of getting an interview if I'm in the alternate pool..?

Not sure about that. For the distance class I only know of one gal who wasn't accepted after interview. She was placed on the wait list after her interview, but was contacted late in the summer for a spot. Of the 16 distance people at my interview 15 are in my class right now.

For the distance program, honestly, I don't think there's a great chance if you haven't interviewed, as they would probably go with someone who they've interview and waitlisted. For 55 accepted people, there are about 45-50 people who interviewed and were waitlisted. And of those, I'd imagine probably half they were impressed with but just not enough open spots.

Distance, for those who apply, is pretty sought after due to the flexibility of the program. Everyone I know of had Creighton as their first choice, and many, surprisingly, only applied to Creighton (from who I talked to at Welcome Week).

For campus, I really don't know....omnione might have an idea.

So.. Just wondering.. What are my chances of getting an interview if I'm in the alternate pool..?

I have no clue. I'm guessing that the chances aren't great given that Creighton got around eight applications for each seat with only two interviewed last year. That puts people with alternate status after the primary review second in the pecking order in front of outright rejects/non-compliants but after the people who get interviews. Creighton interviews into March and offers interviews throughout the interview process so I wouldn't give up hope but I wouldn't get them up either.

I got my alternate list letter on Friday, too. :( Good luck to everyone who got an interview!

I'm with you Gracie, I will be at the Jan 25th interview and I'm already having anxiety. Creighton is the only program I applied to this year so I hope I get in. :)

Yay, contgrats!!! We will see each other there I'm sure. Sounds like a small group if it is anything like last year (from what I've heard). I'm so excited!!!

Will you be driving or flying in?

Definitely flying. I'm from the west coast so that drive would be a miserable one!!! Even though I'm really hoping to get in, I'm already dreading the move to Nebraska because of the long drive!

I sent my letters of recom and pcat results through pharmcas. The only thing I sent directly through the Creighton website was my supplemental app and essay.

I have no clue. I'm guessing that the chances aren't great given that Creighton got around eight applications for each seat with only two interviewed last year. That puts people with alternate status after the primary review second in the pecking order in front of outright rejects/non-compliants but after the people who get interviews. Creighton interviews into March and offers interviews throughout the interview process so I wouldn't give up hope but I wouldn't get them up either.

I got on the alternate for Creighton too, but considering that I got an interview for UCSF, I'm not trippin' too badly.

I had read earlier on their website that they were going to do distance interviews in San Diego--did they change that?

Anybody interviewing on Feb 8?

I got on the alternate for Creighton too, but considering that I got an interview for UCSF, I'm not trippin' too badly.

I had read earlier on their website that they were going to do distance interviews in San Diego--did they change that?

I had never heard about that, so I'm not too sure. I know that they go to other places for health profession fairs.

I get the idea that Creighton looks for a specific type of student from talking to my Creighton reject friends and current P1 classmates. My friend needed three attempts to get in despite a ~3.7 GPA and high PCAT while some of my classmates have 3.2-3.3 GPAs.

In your opinion, Omnione, what is the profile of a Creighton dream-student?