Criminal Background Check: Help, Urgent!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atulrules

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
a

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So this past weekend I was arrested for possession of ecstasy at a rave. My arraignment is July 22nd and the charges could be filed as a misdemeanor or a felony. Since this is my first offense my lawyer said I'd probably be eligible for a drug diversion program wherein I would plead guilty but the plea would be dropped once I complete the drug diversion. It would be as though the case were dismissed, I would have no conviction, no criminal record, but in the background check the arrest and drug diversion would show up. Another option of course is that my lawyer figures out a way to get the case dismissed altogether, however the arrest would still show up in the CBC. Also the drug diversion could last up to 18 months, so it would still be going on and the case wouldn't yet be dismissed if I enter medical school in fall 2011. Do you think I'd have to defer a year in this case? How does this affect my chances at becoming a doctor. Most of the medical schools I've applied to only care about convictions (although some ask about arrests on secondaries so I'd have to disclose the details and provide some sort of explanation) and in my case I probably won't have one, but what about residency programs and medical licensing boards. What's the point of going to medical school if I can't get my license because of one arrest and case dismissed on my record 10 years prior. I've just started getting secondaries so I'm trying to figure out if it's even worth filling them out. I've worked way too hard to have this one stupid mistake ruin all of my hopes and dreams. Any advice will be much appreciated.

If you can get rid of it, you're going to want to make sure it's gone before you apply, not before you start. If that's going to take 18 months, then you might want to wait a cycle or two. If it were me, I would probably not turn in secondaries - many schools have a maximum number of times you can apply, and schools are going to be very wary of accepting someone that has a potential felony drug conviction looming on the horizon.

Wait... ecstasy, seriously? Why is this drug criminalized again? I'll bet the rave you were at had alcohol and that is A LOT more dangerous than ecstasy. Yet I'm sure no one using alcohol has any more than a ticket for underage drinking.

There should be something in the constitution that says all laws should be based on scientific studies and facts. Clueless old farts shouldn't be involved.

Members don't see this ad :)
hopefully EDC was still fun for you

simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

you in trouble

I've worked way too hard to have this one stupid mistake ruin all of my hopes and dreams.

How I think the adcoms would interpret your "stupid mistake" : The fact that you'd even take the risk of jeopardizing your chances of going to medical school during the application process speaks to a lack of maturity and they'll pass on your application.

(1) Why the hell would you even take that kind of a risk?

(2) Better wait and see what happens. A record for drug possession is a pretty serious mark even if there's no conviction.

I wish you the best but I dunno what will happen.

Did you at least get a chance to take any?

How I think the adcoms would interpret your "stupid mistake" : The fact that you'd even take the risk of jeopardizing your chances of going to medical school during the application process speaks to a lack of maturity and they'll pass on your application.

Thank you.

No offense, OP, but you knew what you were doing. That's no mistake. There have been quite a few of these types of threads as of late, and it seems the advice is simple:

Do not do stupid **** like this if you're going to apply to medical school.

That being said, I wouldn't even apply until I knew what was going to happen with the case. I would talk to your lawyer and see if he knows what's going to happen with licensing and all of that. If you apply now, your adcoms are not going to see what happened as a "mistake" but frankly as someone who didn't care. Again, you knew what you were doing and you still took the risk. To me, that's not caring.

You probably shouldn't have the ecstasy to begin with. It's supposed to have some pretty common bad side effects with long term use, so you might wanna cut that stuff out anyway.

I don't think many of us know how to best handle that situation though. I would also lean towards waiting to apply to save yourself some money, because with it hanging over you immediately, it seems unlikely to be worth the risk of finishing up your applications. I hope it doesn't keep you from being accepted eventually though. If you are otherwise qualified I doubt it would.

Wait... ecstasy, seriously? Why is this drug criminalized again? I'll bet the rave you were at had alcohol and that is A LOT more dangerous than ecstasy. Yet I'm sure no one using alcohol has any more than a ticket for underage drinking.

If we were talking about pure MDMA then you might have a point. But we're not, we're talking about street E, which has all kinds of bad stuff in it that is in fact worse than alcohol.

Best of luck man... That will be rough. You may want to consider a Ms or another 2 year program and reapply. You can bs and say you grew up and were immature, but it takes time.

Members don't see this ad :)
(1) Why the hell would you even take that kind of a risk?

(2) Better wait and see what happens. A record for drug possession is a pretty serious mark even if there's no conviction.

I wish you the best but I dunno what will happen.

This. :thumbup:

Seriously though, grow up and realize you can't do stupid illegal crap like this without dealing with the consequences.

That said, personally I'd just wait until you figured out this is all going to play out. I don't know how adcoms will view it, but I'm sure they'll be much more willing to give you a shot if you accepted your mistake, did whatever drug program you had to, did the usual "I screwed up" speeches to students, and let some time passed without getting into trouble as opposed to seeing this as a recent occurrence WHILE you were applying to med school.

There should be something in the constitution that says all laws should be based on scientific studies and facts. Clueless old farts shouldn't be involved.

Laws based on science? Hah!

So this past weekend I was arrested for possession of ecstasy at a rave. My arraignment is July 22nd and the charges could be filed as a misdemeanor or a felony. Since this is my first offense my lawyer said I'd probably be eligible for a drug diversion program wherein I would plead guilty but the plea would be dropped once I complete the drug diversion. It would be as though the case were dismissed, I would have no conviction, no criminal record, but in the background check the arrest and drug diversion would show up. Another option of course is that my lawyer figures out a way to get the case dismissed altogether, however the arrest would still show up in the CBC. Also the drug diversion could last up to 18 months, so it would still be going on and the case wouldn't yet be dismissed if I enter medical school in fall 2011. Do you think I'd have to defer a year in this case? How does this affect my chances at becoming a doctor. Most of the medical schools I've applied to only care about convictions (although some ask about arrests on secondaries so I'd have to disclose the details and provide some sort of explanation) and in my case I probably won't have one, but what about residency programs and medical licensing boards. What's the point of going to medical school if I can't get my license because of one arrest and case dismissed on my record 10 years prior. I've just started getting secondaries so I'm trying to figure out if it's even worth filling them out. I've worked way too hard to have this one stupid mistake ruin all of my hopes and dreams. Any advice will be much appreciated.

'Tis must be holier than thou season...

OP, I empathize with ur plight. Thankfully in this country we all have rights to due process and presumption of innocence. At this point u have been charged and not convicted. It's good u have a lawyer and do everything u can to not get convicted especially that u may be charged with a felony!!!! Have a good talk with ur lawyer to appreciate the preponderence of evidence against you and ur odds at getting a dismissal/acquittal prior to signing up for the diversionary program. Even if u go with the diversion, is the 18 month the only option, can u get anything shorter than that?

The best bet is to avoid a conviction, good luck and let this be a learning experience!!!

High doses of even pure MDMA is definitely more damaging than alcohol. With long term use, alcohol affects the liver, wheras the x will mess up your brain pretty good.
I have friends who have had too many doses of x and they are not all there mentally. I also have ex-alcoholic friends and they seem completely fine.

Anyways, to OP I feel your pain....that really sucks.

Geeze... I thought I had it bad with a city ordinance violation.

I really feel for you man. Don't know what kind of user you are... But I'm willing to bet that intelligent, infrequent use of the drug is safer than daily case-races...

Don't know what kind of profile you've got either, but if you're a competitive premed, you've got lots of community service, good grades, and hopefully an all around nice guy. Just bow down, and see if there's anyway to make the judge know your worth to society and what impact the sentence could have on your career.

:thumbup:all drugs should be legal...
........<cricket noise>......
/rant

edit: and yea.. a rave?

asdf

Last edited:
+1 :thumbup:

although in all seriousness, i would never (and never have) touched X. That **** scares me when I see other people on it :scared:

edit: as for USEFUL advice, I think you're pretty smart since you already got a lawyer. Just be completely honest with you lawyer and let her/him deal with it

It always looks like they are chewing gum, even though they're not.

High doses of even pure MDMA is definitely more damaging than alcohol. With long term use, alcohol affects the liver, wheras the x will mess up your brain pretty good.
I have friends who have had too many doses of x and they are not all there mentally. I also have ex-alcoholic friends and they seem completely fine.

Anyways, to OP I feel your pain....that really sucks.

Alcohol also affects the brain. Not only is it neurotoxic itself, it also causes the body to release cortisol, which in high amounts over extended periods of time will cause irreparable damage as well.

Elderly (ex-)alcoholics with dementia are a dime a dozen.

This is life. You can't get caught slippin! Now you may have ruined your chances. You must walk the straight line if you want to achieve success. So many people put such a high emphasis on medical admissions that people who do really off the wall crazy red flag stuff like yourself slip through the cracks. I am glad you got caught, now maybe a more responsible, more deserving person will take your place in med school.

This is life. You can't get caught slippin! Now you may have ruined your chances. You must walk the straight line if you want to achieve success. So many people put such a high emphasis on medical admissions that people who do really off the wall crazy red flag stuff like yourself slip through the cracks. I am glad you got caught, now maybe a more responsible, more deserving person will take your place in med school.

ouch.:(

high_horse.jpg

I hope you realize that with your attitude, it will be virtually impossible to become a decent doctor.

Being a judgmental prick pretty much kills any chance of ever having any meaningful type of contact with your future patients. In fact, I'd say it's quite a bit more detrimental than having experimented with drugs.

It's not a high horse, it's life. This person didn't have to be in such a situation. The stakes are too high when trying to get into med school. No one told this fool to go to a rave with drugs in his/her pockets. BTW, nice pic I hope you didn't spend too much time finding it.

Good luck OP. No one's life and/or career aspirations should have to be ruined over something like this. I hope everything works out for you somehow.

I hope you realize that with your attitude, it will be virtually impossible to become a decent doctor.

Being a judgmental prick pretty much kills any chance of ever having any meaningful type of contact with your future patients. In fact, I'd say it's quite a bit more detrimental than having experimented with drugs.

Nice way to flip the script, but I'm not the guy with the drug rap trying to apply to med school. Good try though.

I think there's a good bit of difference between being a judgmental prick and telling something they should not be breaking the law while applying to med school.

Why does a "high horse" have to be a really tall horse. Why can't it be a horse that's under the influence and really hungry?

Nice way to flip the script, but I'm not the guy with the drug rap trying to apply to med school. Good try though.

No, you're the self-righteous prick trying to get into med school.

Displaying an attitude that will make it impossible to build up a respectful relationship with patients who have things such as drug-related illnesses, unwanted pregnancies, STDs and obesity-related diseases does not exactly bode well for your chances.

Just sayin'.

Displaying an attitude that will make it impossible to build up a respectful relationship with patients who have things such as drug-related illnesses, unwanted pregnancies, STDs and obesity-related diseases does not exactly bode well for your chances.

Just sayin'.
Really

Just sayin'.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you here. He's not speaking to a patient. He's speaking to someone that knowingly went to a party with drugs in his pocket. He was well aware he was applying to medical school. He should have known better. And that's life. No one should be sugarcoating what happened here. If the attitude keeps when actually speaking to patients, then yes, it's a problem. But please don't label someone and telling him they're going to be a terrible doctor simply because they are pointing out the truth in this situation.

Reactions: 1 user
It's not a high horse, it's life. This person didn't have to be in such a situation. The stakes are too high when trying to get into med school. No one told this fool to go to a rave with drugs in his/her pockets. BTW, nice pic I hope you didn't spend too much time finding it.

thankz. googled high horse. it was tough.

What's preachy about your comment is that you say someone who would be in that situation or take that drug is undeserving of getting into medical school. That's just crap IMO. You don't know them, you don't know what they do. He/she could make a fantastic physician.

I think there's a good bit of difference between being a judgmental prick and telling something they should not be breaking the law while applying to med school.

Indeed there is. The guy I quoted, however, is a prime example of the former, not the latter.

Of course the OP screwed up - nobody's denying that. Stating one's happiness over him getting caught, however, goes quite a few steps beyond that.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you here. He's not speaking to a patient. He's speaking to someone that knowingly went to a party with drugs in his pocket. He was well aware he was applying to medical school. He should have known better. And that's life. No one should be sugarcoating what happened here. If the attitude keeps when actually speaking to patients, then yes, it's a problem. But please don't label someone and telling him they're going to be a terrible doctor simply because they are pointing out the truth in this situation.

The truth is merely that the OP messed up.

This, however, goes a fair bit beyond merely stating the truth:

I am glad you got caught, now maybe a more responsible, more deserving person will take your place in med school.

That attitude isn't just one that you shouldn't have while speaking to patients, but one which you also shouldn't have while thinking about them.

People screw up all the time, doctors and patients alike. Being happy about the possibly far-reaching consequences of that, whether secretly or explicitly, will impair your ability to interact with them.

Indeed there is. The guy I quoted, however, is a prime example of the former, not the latter.

Of course the OP screwed up - nobody's denying that. Stating one's happiness over him getting caught, however, goes quite a few steps beyond that.
I am glad this person was caught with an illegal substance that could possibly impair his/her driving ability and cause a serious harm to innocent people.

You also have to realize that many people have the potential to be very good physicians, but inorder to be a physician you have play by the rules and this person did not and got caught, now hopefully a much more mature student can take this person's place.

You sound like this guys lawyer?

Grow up, this is about the situation not insecure internet attacks on one another....

The truth is merely that the OP messed up.

This, however, goes a fair bit beyond merely stating the truth:

That attitude isn't just one that you shouldn't have while speaking to patients, but one which you also shouldn't have while thinking about them.

People screw up all the time, doctors and patients alike. Being happy about the possibly far-reaching consequences of that, whether secretly or explicitly, will impair your ability to interact with them.

Oh, I get that. And yes, maybe that line you quoted went a bit too far, but you see threads about people getting mad that others cheated to get into medical school, and maybe he feels it wouldn't be right for someone who knowingly had drugs their person to get into medical school. Not saying it's right, just trying to put perspective on it.

Yes, everyone makes mistakes. That's how we learn. But the OP did something that wasn't a "Oh, I forgot I had E in my pocket." He knew about it. He still went to the party. Why would you purposely do something like that, especially if you're trying to apply to medical school? Because of that, I can't really have a whole bunch of sympathy for him. And I think that's what Whoop is saying. He has no sympathy for someone who deliberately screwed up something like this. You can't assume that just because of his reaction here, that he'd treat a patient the same way.

I am glad this person was caught with an illegal substance that could possibly impair his/her driving ability and cause a serious harm to innocent people.

He wasn't driving. He was at a rave, probably dancing or whatever it is they do at raves.

Had he had the intention of driving while high, it would have been a different matter. But there's nothing to indicate that that's the case. As it stands, the only person he might have endangered was himself.

You also have to realize that many people have the potential to be very good physicians, but inorder to be a physician you have play by the rules and this person did not and got caught, now hopefully a much more mature student can take this person's place.

Virtually everyone makes the occasional error in judgment, and in the long run, virtually nobody ends up following all the rules throughout his life.

This guy made a dumb mistake, but one similar to the kinds of mistakes many practicing physicians have made during their lives. There is no objective difference in severity between the mistake he made and ones such as underage drinking, smoking weed (and not getting caught), etc. Meanwhile, things such as speeding and texting while driving are arguably more severe, since they actually *do* endanger the lives of others.

That this guy got caught is as much a matter of bad luck as it is a matter of stupidity. It's the kind of mistake that justifies a severe talking to, not one that justifies ending his dreams for the future.

To think that maturity consists of following all the rules all the time is asinine. Far more important are things such as empathy and the understanding that mistakes are a part of human life.

Ex makes you grind your teeth pretty bad, cause it triggers this random nerve in your mouth.

I've taken it a few times in my darker days. It's a lot of fun, but not something I'd do in any frequent measure.

You guys completely went off topic...... :rolleyes:

OP: As some have suggested, make sure what is really going to happen before you do anything else with the application process. You dont want to waste money, time and effort for nothing..

Try to fight it, hopefully you learned from your Dumb A++ mistake and then apply...

Good Luck

Lol @ the Pre-meds thinking they've got a handle on what makes a "good medical student". Note bene: it's probably not a great idea to trash other people for making life mistakes and "not being good doctor material" so to speak when you yourselves aren't in medical school.

I've worked way too hard to have this one stupid mistake ruin all of my hopes and dreams. Any advice will be much appreciated.

LOL

Stay off the damn dope, and you won't have this problem. Easy come, easy go. :rolleyes:

You're definitely fighting an uphill battle now. Regardless of you're user status, you were caught in possession and that's a stupid mistake no two ways about it. What's done is done, now you just have to deal with it. Try your best, take into consideration what your lawyer says and what SDN says (with a grain of salt) and try to make the best out of the situation.

In all seriousness, think about it if you were an admissions committee member. If I were one, I would look at your app and pass on it immediately. There are too many responsible applicants out there who have sacrificed a lot to be where they are. I'd be surprised if you got in anywhere. I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but life is choices and you chose. Now there are a lot of people who like to be positive on here and say everything will be ok, but until that incident is off of your record permanently (if it ever comes off) you are screwed. But, hey, there is always other less competitive professions like podiatry, optometry, nursing, etc. Good luck.

Last edited:
Wow, I surprised how critical everyone on this board is. I would have though most pre-meds to be more open minded about this type of thing. If I were in your shoes I would still apply and explain that is was a bad mistake experimenting with drugs and you are over that now, if the rest of your app is strong it should show you aren't some junkie. A side rant, this is why I hate drug laws, turning otherwise productive and well meaning members of society into social pariahs. If I had it my way everyone would have to take acid at least once in lives.

"It's only in drugs or death we'll see anything new, and death is just too controlling."

~Chuck Palahniuk

Last edited: