CRIP and the Rank/Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I've looked everywhere for an answer and cannot find one, hopefully a resident can shed some light for me. I apologize if this question has been asked before, I just want to be sure.

1. Online it says CRIP is optional, but that means you're not interviewing with the majority of programs so you could essentially not match anywhere because you didn't interview, correct? Meaning, I should attend the CRIP no matter what (except the 1 program not participating which I will set up interview with after)?

2. If you don't receive an interview at CRIP for one of the programs you want, can I still rank them and potentially match? My chances would obviously go down for matching, but I'm still allowed to right? I'm mostly asking because I rotate with one associated with my school and they know me well, I'm thinking it would be smart to not waste an interview on me and give it to someone else since they know me inside and out. I can still apply here though right?

Any responses are GREATLY appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

There's a few different variations of programs - the vast majority of programs expect you to interview/visit them at CRIP even if you've already got it in the bag. Unless you visited over and over again this is likely a great opportunity to potentially see people who you haven't seen since early in the year and recommit in person. The interview is often a formality where you smile and shake hands. There are some programs that don't interview/go to CRIP and may or may not have already told you where you are ranked. Norton would be a historic example of this. S&W used to be one of these though they interviewed this past year. Then there are programs that perform some sort of outside interview process potentially requiring you to travel to them - West Penn and Des Moines I believe perform something like this and I believe they skip CRIP. Theoretically any program that was secure in its ranking commitments could skip going to CRIP. I had a classmate speak to a program while she was at CRIP and be told if she wanted their program she needed to leave, get on a plane, and fly to their program (ouch).

If you skip CRIP you need to have an iron-clad commitment from a program - jokingly everyone needs to sign their name in blood, the program itself shouldn't be going to CRIP, and the day you met them all the residents should have told you - "this is how we do it around here". There are horror stories of people securing commitments from programs, skipping CRIP because they already have a #1, and not matching.

Somewhere before January you have to reapply for interviews with all of your programs. You still apply in this process to the programs that aren't going to CRIP and they still "offer" you a interview spot even though there won't be a formal CRIP interview. My suspicion is if you don't get a yes during this process your odds are zero - its possible the program can't even rank you once they give you a no. You can actually still rank programs that didn't offer you an interview. Might as well, but its likely pointless.

If you have a relationship with a program and they are going to interviews then you need to go to interviews unless you've already come to an arrangement with them. This past year I interviewed a student and told them they didn't need a call-back because they had clerked with us and their spot was already secure. That's totally different then what you are proposing. The idea of courteously skipping an interview to give a spot for another person ..isn't a thing. Discuss with residents at the program how they conduct their match/interview process and then perform the activities they expect you to perform including attending their interview at CRIP. I personally would not ask them if I can skip their CRIP interview because we already all know each other so well, but to each their own.

There's a lot of cool podiatrists, but there's also a lot of finicky, easily offended bitches. Don't give people a stupid reason not to rank you.

Reactions: 3 users
There's a few different variations of programs - the vast majority of programs expect you to interview/visit them at CRIP even if you've already got it in the bag. Unless you visited over and over again this is likely a great opportunity to potentially see people who you haven't seen since early in the year and recommit in person. The interview is often a formality where you smile and shake hands. There are some programs that don't interview/go to CRIP and may or may not have already told you where you are ranked. Norton would be a historic example of this. S&W used to be one of these though they interviewed this past year. Then there are programs that perform some sort of outside interview process potentially requiring you to travel to them - West Penn and Des Moines I believe perform something like this and I believe they skip CRIP. Theoretically any program that was secure in its ranking commitments could skip going to CRIP. I had a classmate speak to a program while she was at CRIP and be told if she wanted their program she needed to leave, get on a plane, and fly to their program (ouch).

If you skip CRIP you need to have an iron-clad commitment from a program - jokingly everyone needs to sign their name in blood, the program itself shouldn't be going to CRIP, and the day you met them all the residents should have told you - "this is how we do it around here". There are horror stories of people securing commitments from programs, skipping CRIP because they already have a #1, and not matching.

Somewhere before January you have to reapply for interviews with all of your programs. You still apply in this process to the programs that aren't going to CRIP and they still "offer" you a interview spot even though there won't be a formal CRIP interview. My suspicion is if you don't get a yes during this process your odds are zero - its possible the program can't even rank you once they give you a no. You can actually still rank programs that didn't offer you an interview. Might as well, but its likely pointless.

If you have a relationship with a program and they are going to interviews then you need to go to interviews unless you've already come to an arrangement with them. This past year I interviewed a student and told them they didn't need a call-back because they had clerked with us and their spot was already secure. That's totally different then what you are proposing. The idea of courteously skipping an interview to give a spot for another person ..isn't a thing. Discuss with residents at the program how they conduct their match/interview process and then perform the activities they expect you to perform including attending their interview at CRIP. I personally would not ask them if I can skip their CRIP interview because we already all know each other so well, but to each their own.

There's a lot of cool podiatrists, but there's also a lot of finicky, easily offended bitches. Don't give people a stupid reason not to rank you.

Thank you so much, this response was fantastic. Just for clarification, I wasn't going to ask to skip an interview with the place I've been rotating, I was simply stating they may not give me one and it would make sense since they know me, but I understand why they would still. I completely understand where you are coming from though, I was planning on attending CRIP because it just makes sense, but was confused with it being optional. Thank you for your response and taking the time to answer my question in depth!

Status
Not open for further replies.