Criteria for Choosing a Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ClimbsRox

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of us that are at the point in our cycle where we are choosing between multiple programs, I though it might be nice to get a running list of criteria that could influence our decisions. What aspects of programs are people considering while making a decision where to attend?

My list of the top of my head in no order:
Location desirability
Proximity of location to family
Cost of Living: Stipend Ratio
Opportunities for Partner
# of labs in my research field
Curriculum
Student satisfaction
Evidence of community
Setting of clinical training (public, private, etc.)
Clinical opportunities during early training
Diversity of area
Proximity to other research institutions/biotech

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Everything on your list is also on mine. However, a big thing for me is program support. How do they handle students who aren't doing well in classes or are unhappy in their labs? How flexible are they for all of the "life stuff" that will inevitably occur? Are the current students in the program friends (or at least friendly)? Are they eager to participate in the recruiting process and share details about the program?

good stuff so far. @daisymae4, how are you determining program support? that is important to me too

another criteria for me (i'm in public health) is the number of past and current students in my field - i don't know if other nontrads are thinking about this as well

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
good stuff so far. @daisymae4, how are you determining program support? that is important to me too

another criteria for me (i'm in public health) is the number of past and current students in my field - i don't know if other nontrads are thinking about this as well
I agree. I would argue that for non-trad PhD fields, this is one of the more important considerations. Having some infrastructure in place for communication between your PhD field and your MSTP is crucial.

Sorry, if it sounds like blowing my own horn, but...

I think that an important aspect is the MD/PhD Program Leadership. Do they care about the students? Or is it Sink or Swim? Are they empowered to get you out of a bad situation? I have seen many programs and each is unique. I know a lot of caring PDs, but some have their hands tied...

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry, if it sounds like blowing my own horn, but...

I think that an important aspect is the MD/PhD Program Leadership. Do they care about the students? Or is it Sink or Swim? Are they empowered to get you out of a bad situation? I have seen many programs and each is unique. I know a lot of caring PDs, but some have their hands tied...

Good point. I hadn't thought of putting that because I crossed off my list immediately programs that seemed to lack strong leadership. Any suggestions on red flags to look for on second visits, in case my first assessment was wrong?

Good point. I hadn't thought of putting that because I crossed off my list immediately programs that seemed to lack strong leadership. Any suggestions on red flags to look for on second visits, in case my first assessment was wrong?

Same boat. I withdrew from several programs shortly post-interview because I got weird vibes from the leadership. I'm also curious what we should be looking for during 2nd visit for the leadership criterion, because a lot of my decision is riding on the lone revisit I'll be attending.

Some things that I have been considering is the total size of the MD-PhD class and the ratio of MD-PhD students to MD-only students. I think having a lot of your peers in the the same training pathway as you is a major advantage and could potentially help alleviate some of the issues encountered in GS2 (when the MD class is graduating), though I can't say this with any certainty as I haven't been there yet.

Diversity of the program.

Maybe this isn't important for others, but I do not want to be the only URM in a program. I also don't want to connect with the older URMs, just to have them leave the first or second year that I am there. This is also true for low SES. If there aren't any racial minorities, I would like to be able to connect with other first generation and/or low income students.

Reactions: 6 users