critical care fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nestle

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
this is similar to a question i had about cards ... but how hectic is a critical care fellowship? harder than the IM residency? just two years, right? what is the call schedule like, etc? impossible to have a family?
also what's a typical day like for a intensivist who is in practice? do they have really crappy lifestyles? has anyone ever heard of a intensivist who was able to work part-time or is that out of the question?

:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

no responses yet?
somebody must have some idea....

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi

Your schedule is definitely lighter than residency. As a fellow, you essentially supervise and run the specifics (like vent settings, general approach for treatment and stuff).

So you can have a decent life, and also you have a lot of outpatient experience, as pulmonary is mostly OP.

lf

Nestle said:
this is similar to a question i had about cards ... but how hectic is a critical care fellowship? harder than the IM residency? just two years, right? what is the call schedule like, etc? impossible to have a family?
also what's a typical day like for a intensivist who is in practice? do they have really crappy lifestyles? has anyone ever heard of a intensivist who was able to work part-time or is that out of the question?

:confused:

It depends on where you go and what you want out of fellowship. Pure critical care fellowships can tend to be busy. My CC fellowship was busier than my residency (which was at a very busy inner-city Detroit hospital). We didn't have interns or residents and we managed the patients one-on-one with the CC attendings. Call was every 3-4th night, in house. We would cover 30-40 sick patients at one time on call.

Even though this was very busy, I had the time of my life. It was very rewarding. I didn't go into fellowship to sit on my butt and round from home. I didn't want to learn how to give orders over the phone to an intern taking call in the unit. But that's me. Others may have different expectations.

Can you find a cushy fellowship? Sure. But then you have to ask yourself why and what do you really want to accomplish with those extra 2-3 years that you'll never get back.

Post fellowship life is also very variable and depending on if you want to have another practice outside of critical care. "True intensivists" are just that. They don't dabble in critical care on the side. They round in the unit, usually working in shifts, much like the ER. A typical fulltime job is about 18-21 shifts/month.

Now if you want a pulmonary or IM practice on the side, this will obviously change your work load.

Just like anything in medicine, the life after residency/fellowship can be as easy or as hard as you want it to be. You may need to look around a little to find exactly what you want, but it's there.

KG

Hey all...

I have heard from various people in their fields that their field offers a CC fellowship.

You have one from Anes

You have one from IM

Is there a difference, practically speaking, if you do your fellowship in CC from either Anes or IM? Let's say that you finish your fellowhip in CC, is there a difference for employment purposes if you are a CC after Anes or after IM?

And, if someone could also shed some light about sports medicine (I realize its a wrong thread, but the point is still the same), since FP, Ortho, and PM&R have fellowships in sports medicine.

Help greatly appreciated!

medlaw06 said:
Hey all...

I have heard from various people in their fields that their field offers a CC fellowship.

You have one from Anes

You have one from IM

Is there a difference, practically speaking, if you do your fellowship in CC from either Anes or IM? Let's say that you finish your fellowhip in CC, is there a difference for employment purposes if you are a CC after Anes or after IM?

Help greatly appreciated!

I'm trained in IM/EM/CCM and work in the Department of Anesthesiology in the Cardiac Surgery Unit. My partners are straight IM/CCM trained and EM/CCM trained.

As you can see, we have quite the variation. As long as you get plenty of exposure to both medical and surgical ICU's, one should have no problem taking care of both types of patients. This is something you should seek out and chase from your fellowship programs so you increase your flexibility of to what unit you feel comfortable with.

KG