Critical care physician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PJ1120

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what residency one would go through for critical care (ICU)? It's listed as a separate group in the allied physicians website http://www.alliedphysicians.com/salary-surveys/physicians/. I was just thinking I might be interested in this field. And of all the residency matches I've seen, i've never seen one listed for critical care. Is it an internal med residency and then maybe something else?

Members don't see this ad.

PJ1120 said:
Anyone know what residency one would go through for critical care (ICU)? It's listed as a separate group in the allied physicians website http://www.alliedphysicians.com/salary-surveys/physicians/. I was just thinking I might be interested in this field. And of all the residency matches I've seen, i've never seen one listed for critical care. Is it an internal med residency and then maybe something else?
Critical care is additional training beyond residency. You can get do it in several ways.

1. IM residency (3 yrs) + CC fellowship (2 yrs) or CC/Pulm fellowship (3 yrs).

2. GAS residency (4 yrs) + CC fellowship (1 yr).

3. GS residency (5 yrs) + CC fellowship (1 yr).

There is a potential 4th option through EM. However, you can not sit for the certifying exam in the U.S. at this time.

ntmed said:
Critical care is additional training beyond residency. You can get do it in several ways.

There is a potential 4th option through EM. However, you can not sit for the certifying exam in the U.S. at this time.

Generally, EM trained physicians will complete an internal medicine CC fellowship (2 years). As you stated, there is not official board certification in the US at this time, but this issue is being addressed by all the EM groups. Also, these physicians are eligible to sit for the European certification exam which is almost universally recognized here in the states.

cheers, jd

Members don't see this ad :)
DeLaughterDO said:
Generally, EM trained physicians will complete an internal medicine CC fellowship (2 years). As you stated, there is not official board certification in the US at this time, but this issue is being addressed by all the EM groups. Also, these physicians are eligible to sit for the European certification exam which is almost universally recognized here in the states.

cheers, jd

Wow, I didn't realize the road to a critical care physician was so long. I figured it be at most 4 years post-doc and not 6 years. Crazy....makes me change my mind somewhat.... :scared:

oops....~5 years.... :sleep:

DeLaughterDO said:

cheers, jd
IMHO, I'd be careful with this route. This issue is far from being resolved. If EM is your main interest, but you want to CC open as an option, then this might be a good way to go. But if CC is your main interest, it might be best to go a traditional route that is universally recognized.

ntmed said:

Nice explanation! It's nice to see someone on SDN that tells the truth for a change, instead of anecdotal and incorrect bullsh1t!!

PJ1120 said:
Wow, I didn't realize the road to a critical care physician was so long. I figured it be at most 4 years post-doc and not 6 years. Crazy....makes me change my mind somewhat.... :scared:

after 12 years of school and residency, what's another 2 to do what you want. We'll all be collecting Social Security before we begin our practice anyway :laugh: