CRNA or Pharmacist?

james07

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a interest in a career in the health field but I'm trying to decide between becoming a Nurse Anesthesist and Pharmacist. I was just wondering which one is harder to get into and which one involves the most math and science? How does the difficulty of CRNA School compare the the difficulty of Med school?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a interest in a career in the health field but I'm trying to decide between becoming a Nurse Anesthesist and Pharmacist. I was just wondering which one is harder to get into and which one involves the most math and science? How does the difficulty of CRNA School compare the the difficulty of Med school?

Pharm school is probably harder to get into.

Pharm I assume would involve more math and science

Becoming a CRNA is hard but not as hard as medical school. The Pharm route I imagine would be a bit more rigorous than then CRNA route.

Med school is harder than grad school and is by far the hardest professional school to get into.

Pharm school is competitive but not as competitive as medical school.

You should also consider what you like to "do" for work. A CRNA is in the trenches so to speak, in the OR sticking tubes down throats, dealing with blood and bodily fluids.

A pharmacist lives in a more controlled environment, and is more in charge of mental activities. No procedures or hands-on work.

A CRNA requires a certain level of dexterity and ability to perform procedures. Also needs to perform in very stressful situations.

Members don't see this ad :)

James, I don't mean to pick on you specifically, but there is a common thread that I'm discerning from posts from young people considering careers in health care. It is quite discouraging, frankly, as one who utilizes non-physician medical personnel in order to do my job well. To wit: A major consideration in choosing fields is the difficulty factor. The path of least resistance seems to be the most attractive. In this day and age it is an easy trap to fall into, but it isn't too late! Conscienciously, purposefully, remove this notion from your way of thinking! If you do not, you will carry it into your career and will at some point betray the welfare of your patients! The thought of working with those for whom a deciding factor for entry into their field was that it was the easiest route, is chilling. Find out what you will be doing day in and day out. Find out the backrounds of some of the people in your fields of interest. Compare their personalities to yours. Make an honest asssessment of your academic skills and, as important, your motivation to do well in what can be difficult, tedious and sometimes boring course work.

I dunno, CRNA school seems pretty darn tough to get into. There is a lot of competition. There are plenty of nurses that try and fail to get into a CRNA program every year. Did you know that CRNA applicants have to take the MCAT? Keep in mind, most of them prepare for this while they're holding a full-time job as an ICU nurse.

I dunno, CRNA school seems pretty darn tough to get into. There is a lot of competition. There are plenty of nurses that try and fail to get into a CRNA program every year. Did you know that CRNA applicants have to take the MCAT? Keep in mind, most of them prepare for this while they're holding a full-time job as an ICU nurse.

I actually didn't know that...

I had no idea that they had to take the MCAT. It seems that the route to becoming a CRNA is longer than a physician.

How long does it actually take? What exactly do you have to do?

CRNA route is not longer than a physician, it is a specialty in nursing, and the hardest to get into, and I would imagine its harder than pharmacy only because the compensation is more (Around 150-180k) in alot of cases more than a primary care physician!

If I'm not mistaken, Anesthesiologists's Assistant programs require the MCAT, not Nurse Anesthesia programs. The CRNA may accept it in lieu of other aptitude tests such as the GRE. Not completely sure. Best check it out case by case. Some more leads to chase down for young James.:)

If I'm not mistaken, Anesthesiologists's Assistant programs require the MCAT, not Nurse Anesthesia programs. The CRNA may accept it in lieu of other aptitude tests such as the GRE. Not completely sure. Best check it out case by case. Some more leads to chase down for young James.:)

That's what I was thinking too as CRNA is more nursing model while AA is more gears toward the medical model.

CRNA route is not longer than a physician, it is a specialty in nursing, and the hardest to get into, and I would imagine its harder than pharmacy only because the compensation is more (Around 150-180k) in alot of cases more than a primary care physician!

Not from what I've been told. CRNA make a little above 100k, which is competitive with pharmacy. However, the nurses that are CRNAs tend to be cream of the crop.

I saw there was a bit of disagreement on the requirements of becoming CRNA so I googled it and found a website that might help you out...

http://www.aana.com/BecomingCRNA.as...SMenuTargetType=4&ucNavMenu_TSMenuID=6&id=110
hmm, I stand corrected.

I spoke to several Drexel CRNA students last year who told me they had to take the MCAT. But their website mentions no requirement for it. I suppose taking the MCAT may provide an edge in gaining admission then.

Not from what I've been told. CRNA make a little above 100k, which is competitive with pharmacy.
Nope.
Like 2007 survey participants, this year's rural nurse anesthetist salary survey respondents reported the highest salary average relative to the metro or suburban CRNA salary averages reported:
Rural average $174,214.30
Metro average $164,148.80
Suburban average $156,630.70
http://www.crnajobs.com/crna-careers/main.aspx

These shouldn't be compared. I could see comparing crna with pa but not with pharmacy. They are sooooo different.

These shouldn't be compared. I could see comparing crna with pa but not with pharmacy. They are sooooo different.

agree- crna vs aa is an even better comparison.
np vs pa is another valid comparison.

CRNA take the GRE.

I would be a CRNA if I could take being a nurse as a guy.

It is more interesting, hands on, shorter schooling, and better pay.

Since PharmD is a doctorate degree I would imagine it is harder.

Too much comparing apples and oranges!

CRNA definitely takes longer because you must have a bachelors degree in nursing (or something close) and there a mandatory experience of at least 1 year of acute nursing experience, the actual program is a minimum of 2 years so it takes 7 years AT LEAST to become a CRNA.

Pharm I assume would involve more math and science

Becoming a CRNA is hard but not as hard as medical school. The Pharm route I imagine would be a bit more rigorous than then CRNA route.

Med school is harder than grad school and is by far the hardest professional school to get into.

Pharm school is competitive but not as competitive as medical school.

Becoming a CRNA is EXTREMELY hard and competitive. You have to work in an ICU (acute) for at least 1 year and most likely more. The schooling itself (if you do get in) is also very difficult and expensive.
Before all of this you also have to get BSN (Nurising degree) and in my city that can also be pretty competitive in its self. You also have to do very good in school while getting your nursing degree, which isn't easy.