cjm315

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm a senior in high school who has been pretty set on becoming a Nurse Anesthetist but I'm having second thoughts. I'm just thinking that since it is going to be a doctorate degree by the time I'm in CRNA school that I should just do pre-med or pre-dental rather than nursing. There are a few things that are important to me, first being convenience. I don't want to be a MD if I'm gonna have to work 50-60+ hours a week, which leads to the next thing that I don't want to be unable to have a family or spend time with my family because my life is so consumed with school/work. I don't know how hard CRNA school is compared to Med or dental school, so I'd also appreciate any insight into that. Also I'm concerned about job security, as I've heard many say that CRNA is a bubble thats going to burst because too many people are gonna try and hop onto a 9-5 150k job and it won't last. I've heard the other side of the coin where people say that CRNA's are gonna end up taking most Anesthesiologist jobs. I've briefly looked into the dental field and have seen a few endodontists who own their own practice and make over 1M a year working 4 days a week, so if anyone could give me an insight into easy high-paying dental jobs I'd appreciate it.
Sorry if I sound like an avaricious tool, I'm not trying to be a troll.

Members don't see this ad.

There are a few things that are important to me, first being convenience. I don't want to be a MD if I'm gonna have to work 50-60+ hours a week, which leads to the next thing that I don't want to be unable to have a family or spend time with my family because my life is so consumed with school/work. I don't know how hard CRNA school is compared to Med or dental school, so I'd also appreciate any insight into that.

Go to college first, get exposure to those fields and then decide. Med and dental schools are much harder than any nursing school, and difficult to get into, so in college you can judge if your grades and ECs are good enough to even get in. Additionally, after med school, you need to do residency which is 80hrs/week. If you don't want to work 50-60 hrs, don't be an MD. Based on what you're saying I would advise you to look into PA school.

And just as an FYI, there is no such thing as easy money in medicine. If there were, everyone would be doing it. Those endodontists you talk about see tons of patients and are very busy, and most of the money comes from the practice itself and the ancillary services, not from the individual.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
There are a few things that are important to me, first being convenience. I don't want to be a MD if I'm gonna have to work 50-60+ hours a week, which leads to the next thing that I don't want to be unable to have a family or spend time with my family because my life is so consumed with school/work. I don't know how hard CRNA school is compared to Med or dental school, so I'd also appreciate any insight into that

I can't speak for dental school, but if your priority is convenience and you don't want to work 50+ hrs/wk then medical school is out. No way around it.

if anyone could give me an insight into easy high-paying dental jobs I'd appreciate it.

I obviously don't know you, but like @OrthoTraumaMD mentioned, if you are looking to make a lot of money without working hard and long for several, several years, then I don't think you will find what you are looking for in medicine.

You should pick a job that truly interests you, otherwise you may end up unhappy despite a high income.

Members don't see this ad :)
It may take you years but you could eventually have a normal schedule as a doctor. Take a few steps back and find out your strengths as a person, maybe you'd be a better engineer or financial advisor. You've gotten great advice here already I'd just add that even nursing can take up a lot of your time especially early on when you're gaining experience (i.e. over night shifts). I chose Pharmacy and in most cases you can raise a family comfortably and still have a decent income but like @Oso you probably won't find what you're looking for in medicine.

Hey guys I'm a senior in high school who has been pretty set on becoming a Nurse Anesthetist but I'm having second thoughts. I'm just thinking that since it is going to be a doctorate degree by the time I'm in CRNA school that I should just do pre-med or pre-dental rather than nursing. There are a few things that are important to me, first being convenience. I don't want to be a MD if I'm gonna have to work 50-60+ hours a week, which leads to the next thing that I don't want to be unable to have a family or spend time with my family because my life is so consumed with school/work. I don't know how hard CRNA school is compared to Med or dental school, so I'd also appreciate any insight into that. Also I'm concerned about job security, as I've heard many say that CRNA is a bubble thats going to burst because too many people are gonna try and hop onto a 9-5 150k job and it won't last. I've heard the other side of the coin where people say that CRNA's are gonna end up taking most Anesthesiologist jobs. I've briefly looked into the dental field and have seen a few endodontists who own their own practice and make over 1M a year working 4 days a week, so if anyone could give me an insight into easy high-paying dental jobs I'd appreciate it.
Sorry if I sound like an avaricious tool, I'm not trying to be a troll.

You want anesthesia? Fastest way : AA

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile