CRNA. vs. years in post-bac to become DO doctor in Anesthesia?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CarpeDiem253

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have gotten into several Accelerated Nursing programs. I graduated from a UC with an undergraduate 2.34cgpa. It will take me several years as a post-bac, maybe an SPecial medical master's, and a killer MCAT to get into an oestheopathic medical school that does grade replacement.

I would be happy as a Nurse Anesthetist, but I'm am wondering how I am ever gonna have a strong enough stomach to wipe ass and sputum?! Does one EVER get use to foul odors?! This is one reason I do not want to be a bedside RN. Secondly, I am not being academically fulfilled taking pre-nursing classes. As they say, if you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.

I have always wanted to go to medical school for the adventure, for the learning of science, for the gross anatomy lab. I do believe the journey is the reward, but I am afraid of being 42, and making my first pay check.

Are there any doctors out there that wished they became a CRNA? Are there any CRNAs that wished they went to medical school instead?
CarpeDiem253, A moment agoEditReport

Members don't see this ad.

I have gotten into several Accelerated Nursing programs. I graduated from a UC with an undergraduate 2.34cgpa. It will take me several years as a post-bac, maybe an SPecial medical master's, and a killer MCAT to get into an oestheopathic medical school that does grade replacement.

I would be happy as a Nurse Anesthetist, but I'm am wondering how I am ever gonna have a strong enough stomach to wipe ass and sputum?! Does one EVER get use to foul odors?! This is one reason I do not want to be a bedside RN. Secondly, I am not being academically fulfilled taking pre-nursing classes. As they say, if you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.

I have always wanted to go to medical school for the adventure, for the learning of science, for the gross anatomy lab. I do believe the journey is the reward, but I am afraid of being 42, and making my first pay check.

Are there any doctors out there that wished they became a CRNA? Are there any CRNAs that wished they went to medical school instead?

What makes you think you're the smartest person in the room?

Reactions: 7 users
My question to you would be what do you need to get into the nurse anesthesia program. I know that basic nursing can be easy or difficult to get into depending on the school, and it seems to me the nurse anesthesia (NA) degree might be harder to actually obtain than a regular nursing degree. If that's the case, you might have to bump up your GPA anyway.

I am not sure how it works in the nursing world, but I think you have to get through the nursing program first, then nurse anesthesia. How many years is that going to be? What exactly does Anna accelerated nursing program mean?

Personally, I think a nurse anesthesiology is a good profession to be in. You make six figures, and you don't have to have the debt associated with medical school. You start making money right away, and once all of your student loans are paid off, you have the rest of your life to use that six-figure salary for whatever you want.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

Members don't see this ad :)

These reasons for wanting to enter medicine are concerning to me: the journey, the learning of science, the anatomy lab. What about the patients?

I think you should shadow some physicians to really get an understanding of the job you want to enter. It isn't graceful and pretty. It's grueling and difficult. There's a reason why many physicians don't even suggest the career to others. It's not something you decide on on a whim, you have to think long and hard about it because once you're in, you're in for life, you're not going to leave because you're hundreds of thousands of dollars in the hole.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Reactions: 2 users
These reasons for wanting to enter medicine are concerning to me: the journey, the learning of science, the anatomy lab. What about the patients?

I think you should shadow some physicians to really get an understanding of the job you want to enter. It isn't graceful and pretty. It's grueling and difficult. There's a reason why many physicians don't even suggest the career to others. It's not something you decide on on a whim, you have to think long and hard about it because once you're in, you're in for life, you're not going to leave because you're hundreds of thousands of dollars in the hole.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree. He needs some solid shadowing with someone who he can ask the hard questions. Medicine isn't for everyone. Unfortunately, a lot of people find that out a little too late.

Reactions: 1 user
To be a CRNA you must first be a beside ICU/CCU nurse for at least 3 (likely more to be competitive) years. Even as a CRNA / NP you are still a nurse. If you don't have a passion for nursing then becoming a CRNA / NP probably won't work out that well for you.

EDIT: Also CRNA programs are very competitive. People who get accepted have very high GPA's (like 3.7+).

So what it looks like we have here folks is someone who sounds a little arrogant and has bad grades to back it up. Not a solid combination.

Reactions: 6 users
I'm an anesthesia resident that sometimes wishes I'd just become a CRNA. I seriously have no clue why they want to take over our field.

I had no clue I was going into anesthesia until I was well into residency interview season, but knowing what I know now - I probably would have become a CRNA. It looks like a sweet deal. You get to show up, do the fun parts, offer your opinion, make decent cash and go home. The end responsibility is not yours, billing issues aren't yours. You are on a straight up clock. Your future looks solid. You don't have to scut your way through piles and piles of pre-ops and consents. You don't have to suffer through medical school (not entirely poop free) and intern year. You don't have the same level of debt. It's a year or two less of overall training from start to finish (unless you have to go back and do postbacc courses, etc). Yeah, you have to suffer through a year (a few years?) of critical care nursing which is going to involve lots of bodily fluids for sure.

CRNAs are generally very smart people - it's a competitive field for sure. It is very different than other types of nursing. They are likely to have to wipe poop as we are.

You'll have your share of vomit and sputum in either case. You do not get used to foul odors, but you definitely improve your poker face.

Reactions: 1 users
Aside from your desires to enter the medical profession...

The prereqs for CRNA school are generally at least two years experience as a nurse and at least one year experience in an ICU. Most applicants have more. A lot more.

On rare occasions ICUs will take a new grad...but that is very rare. So realistically you will need 1-2 years experience on a med-surg unit and then you can potentially get the acute care experience needed. I don't know if you have been in an ICU before but most patients are vented or trached (sputum) and not able to ambulate to the toilet (cleaning stool/emptying catheters). Also, first thing that a patient receives when transferred into an ICU from another facility is a bath.

Then there are the academic prerequisites. CRNAs, AAs, and Anesthesiologists have some of the most in-depth knowledge of physiology and pharmacokinetics/pharmacodynamics that I have come across in my career. It's not just working in an OR either...they do blocks and other pain management therapies throughout the hospital. So you're going to need more than nursing classes.

I've noticed a common theme among posts asking "med school vs CRNA/NP etc" questions. There seems to be a misconception by some that advanced practice nursing degrees are shortcuts or easy programs. They're not.

You'll have your share of vomit and sputum in either case. You do not get used to foul odors, but you definitely improve your poker face.

At least once a year I get caught off guard and almost puke. It's all about hiding that reflex...

So what it looks like we have here folks is someone who sounds a little arrogant and has bad grades to back it up. Not a solid combination.

+1. Nurse Anesthesia programs are extremely competitive. As others have mentioned, years of nursing experience in the ICU are required. Accelerated nursing programs have countless grad's that are desperate for any job, and we're not talking about ICU work. If you live in California (sounds like you do, since you went to a UC), nursing jobs are scarce, so you will likely have to work in a nursing facility for several years before getting into a hospital doing med-surg and another several years doing that before getting to the ICU. Things might be slightly easier though if you move to a rural area. Only then, if you've that 3.7+ GPA, nurse anesthesia might be up your alley.

Last edited:
I originally was dead set on becoming a CRNA. I erroneously had tunnel vision on working in anesthesia, and not the professional nursing route to get there (bedside nursing, critical care nursing) that are requirements to get into a program. I spent a semester in nursing school and hated it, reevaluated what I really wanted to do within healthcare and I'm on the post-bac road to medical school (still currently an undergrad majoring in medical laboratory science) with a long way to go!

Crnas where I am get paid in the upper 100 to low 200s. They work 36 hrs a week with no call. Seems like a good deal.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The CRNA market is likely going to be flooded in the next few years due to the massive expansion of CRNA schools. Salaries will likely drop and opportunities will be much more limited. Keep this in mind before investing 5-7 years into trying to go the CRNA path.

Before you do anything, you need to get those grades up.

The CRNA market is likely going to be flooded in the next few years due to the massive expansion of CRNA schools. Salaries will likely drop and opportunities will be much more limited. Keep this in mind before investing 5-7 years into trying to go the CRNA path.

This is guesswork though to be clear. Certainly possible (maybe even likely)

Wouldn't risk my career (and the rest of my life) on disproving experts. Even if all of those CRNAs took every single anesthesiologist position projected, there'd still be a surplus of 4000 of them.

I wouldn't either

one of the surgeons i work with says if he was doing it now he would have gone CRNA, and i think he has even said he would rather be doing CRNA now. reasons he has put out were 40 hour work week, good pay, and all you have to do is the surgical part, so no office work and less responsibiilty

I think although CRNAs get the meat of the operation, and less of the minutiae that it might get boring. I'm an oddball, so I think that the charting would be fun. It gives you something else to think about and more intellectually stimulating.

Anyone else on the same boat as me?

I think although CRNAs get the meat of the operation, and less of the minutiae that it might get boring. I'm an oddball, so I think that the charting would be fun. It gives you something else to think about and more intellectually stimulating.

Anyone else on the same boat as me?

Trust me, charting gets incredibly boring after the 100th chart that reads the exact same way. And I was in the ER (then Rad Onc, then Cards, then Primary Care, and soon Derm) with a lot more variety in my charts than what you'll get in any one specialty.

First of all, my undergrad GPA was from TEN years ago. My current gpa in post-bac work and pre-nursing classes is 3.5gpa. How you can judge me based on a SDN post is beyond me.

I'm an anesthesia resident that sometimes wishes I'd just become a CRNA. I seriously have no clue why they want to take over our field.

I had no clue I was going into anesthesia until I was well into residency interview season, but knowing what I know now - I probably would have become a CRNA. It looks like a sweet deal. You get to show up, do the fun parts, offer your opinion, make decent cash and go home. The end responsibility is not yours, billing issues aren't yours. You are on a straight up clock. Your future looks solid. You don't have to scut your way through piles and piles of pre-ops and consents. You don't have to suffer through medical school (not entirely poop free) and intern year. You don't have the same level of debt. It's a year or two less of overall training from start to finish (unless you have to go back and do postbacc courses, etc). Yeah, you have to suffer through a year (a few years?) of critical care nursing which is going to involve lots of bodily fluids for sure.

CRNAs are generally very smart people - it's a competitive field for sure. It is very different than other types of nursing. They are likely to have to wipe poop as we are.

Thank you so much on sharing your experience and insight. I greatly appreciate it and it is very helpful!

I am fully aware of the requirements to get into Nurse Anesthesia school. Above average nursing GPA + BSN + ICU work experience. My undergrad GPA was from ten years ago and I am doing solid in my post-bac work w/ 3.5 gpa. I am confident that I would do well academically as a nursing student and CRNA school.

That was not the question I was asking. I am wondering if there are any CRNAs that have regretted not going to medical school or any MDs that regret not being a CRNA? Only a couple of people offered insight to my question while the rest of you offered negative criticism. I assume most people on SDN want to be doctors, which entails being compassion towards others, but with the few posts I have put up all I have received are condensing remarks. Aren't we suppose to be encouraging and uplifting towards others? As future healthcare leaders, we need to be team players, and it's weird that some people take the first chance to break others down.

I am fully aware of the requirements to get into Nurse Anesthesia school. Above average nursing GPA + BSN + ICU work experience. My undergrad GPA was from ten years ago and I am doing solid in my post-bac work w/ 3.5 gpa. I am confident that I would do well academically as a nursing student and CRNA school.

That was not the question I was asking. I am wondering if there are any CRNAs that have regretted not going to medical school or any MDs that regret not being a CRNA? Only a couple of people offered insight to my question while the rest of you offered negative criticism. I assume most people on SDN want to be doctors, which entails being compassion towards others, but with the few posts I have put up all I have received are condensing remarks. Aren't we suppose to be encouraging and uplifting towards others? As future healthcare leaders, we need to be team players, and it's weird that some people take the first chance to break others down.

There are plenty of CRNAs that wish they went to med school and there are plenty of doctors, including myself, who wish they never went to med school. It's a personal decision and it's something you'll have to decide for yourself. Being a physician is not inherently better than any other career.

Reactions: 3 users

You don't have to do a SMP... You can retake classes you got C+ or lower and raise you GPA to 3.0+ in less than 2 years by taking advantage of the DO grade replacement policy... Remember that you will need a 2+ years critical care experience to get admitted into CRNA school... Also, a low 3.0 GPA won't cut it for CRNA school. If you don't like nursing, you are going to be very miserable for at least 4 years since you will also perform some of these unpleasant tasks (i.e. cleaning patients) during your nursing clinical rotations.

Like @cliquesh said, it's personal decision... You will find many people complain about their career... I was a RN and I could not wait to get out... Most of the time it's a case of the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

Last edited:
There are plenty of CRNAs that wish they went to med school and there are plenty of doctors, including myself, who wish they never went to med school. It's a personal decision and it's something you'll have to decide for yourself. Being a physician is not inherently better than any other career.

The grass is always greener on the other side....

No, I don't think it's worth it to go to medical school. Trust me, it really isn't. You'll waste 3-4 years just to get in and then 8 more to practice independently while taking bull****. Do CRNA and have a happy life. The amount of work to get into CRNA will pale in comparison to all you have to do to get into med school and then anesthesia.

20 yrs ago I needed 3.83 GPA and 5 yrs of CVICU experience to get into a CRNA
Program.

I worked for a DO anesthesiologist who became a doctor because he couldn't get into
A CRNA program.

I have been stopped 3 times by doctors who wished they became CRNA's two where
FP residents and the third was a CV resident.

I just put a labor epidural into a patient whose body odor was so bad you could smell
Her in the hallway. I almost barfed.

I am a CRNA who wants to become a doctor. When I decided for CRNA it was because
I loved anesthesia and there are CRNA only anesthesia groups. I like diagnostics too now.

I had an OB send me a patient for an epidural blood patch for an anesthesia headache.
I examined her and then walked her to the ER. She didn't need a blood patch. She needed an ER doctor. I diagnosed her with meningitis. It made my day for a month.

Last edited:

Have you done your research on CRNA programs? I worked in the PACU for two years and watched MDs, DOs and CRNAs interact and I firmly believe that CRNA school is nearly as competitive as medical school because it is such an awesome gig. with a 2.3 gpa you will definitely need to do a lot of work before applying to both CRNA programs or medical school - regardless of if you like wiping butts or not, there's a lot to be done in the mean time for either program.

Good point, I am curious as to why you never went to med school? I am currently torn between the CRNA or Anesthesiologist path as well and I dont want to have any regrets in the end as to which one I shouldve rather decided on :/

Good point, I am curious as to why you never went to med school? I am currently torn between the CRNA or Anesthesiologist path as well and I dont want to have any regrets in the end as to which one I shouldve rather decided on :/
He did... He even says so in the post you quoted....

Cliquesh is a resident physician :|

I don't think you should do anything medical at all tbh.

20 yrs ago I needed 3.83 GPA and 5 yrs of CVICU experience to get into a CRNA
Program.

I worked for a DO anesthesiologist who became a doctor because he couldn't get into
A CRNA program.

I have been stopped 3 times by doctors who wished they became CRNA's two where
FP residents and the third was a CV resident.

I just put a labor epidural into a patient whose body odor was so bad you could smell
Her in the hallway. I almost barfed.

I am a CRNA who wants to become a doctor. When I decided for CRNA it was because
I loved anesthesia and there are CRNA only anesthesia groups. I like diagnostics too now.

I had an OB send me a patient for an epidural blood patch for an anesthesia headache.
I examined her and then walked her to the ER. She didn't need a blood patch. She needed an ER doctor. I diagnosed her with meningitis. It made my day for a month.

This is why you should consider something else. Your post doesn't make me think you can handle any of this.

No offense. But your post comes off rather narcisstic (I'm being nice). Nurse Anesethists is a saturated market for one and secondly you have to fullfill basic hours of critical care before you are considered. You will endure bed side nursing. That's just a fact. Have you been to a critcal care unit? Have you seen the patient population your treating/will need to nurse before even remotely considering CRNA. Are you really grossed out by that stuff? Another thing another poster mentioned. You have yet to talk about patients and how you would be fullfilled caring for those said patients. That's what makes a great nurse. I work with a bunch of nurses. Every single young one says "Yeah I'm applying for NP or CRNA". Also, someone with a 2.35 really shouldn't be bashing their classmates about "being the smartest person in the room". All in all, get out there and shadow. Shadow a CRNA, or critical care NP and see what their day is like. Same goes for DO. Best of luck.

If you want to be in it for the long haul and don't mind working your tail off to risk not even matching in anesthesiology and are OK with that, then by all means go to med school.

CRNA is also very well respected area. But the buck stops at research. I don't see too many CRNA's acting as independent investigators conducting basic science research. If you want a career that will provide you with ample opportunity (if you have a drive for it at least) to integrate research into your clinical practice then pursue medical school. If you simply want the clinical aspect of anesthesiology working the "bread and butter" patients and are content that you are an advanced practice nurse and NOT a physician then pursue CRNA.