Cross country moving

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Question- what is the easiest way to move clothes?? I'm thinking about packing up my winter stuff.. Should I fold it all up and put in boxes or just use trash bags and just throw them in... I do have luggage I could use too.... Hmm so any options.. Opinions?

For clothes (especially bulky winter stuff), I used it as bubble wrap for breakable items or to top off boxes to prevent shifting, killing two birds with one stone.

We did Chicago to Maine 2 years ago with two small (5lbs and 20lbs) dogs in the cabin of the moving truck with us. What I learned:
We used Budget, it was a lot cheaper than U-Haul when mileage was a consideration, and then they also have 20% off coupons floating around pretty regularly.
When we went to pick up the truck, it was a bench seat (I'd gone to look at them and only saw bucket seats and had been planning on putting the dogs' crates in between). Luckily, they had one bucket seat cabin left and gave it to us, but you might want to check if you can request one).
Keep some cleaning supplies easily accessible in the cabin. Someone had suggested this, and after the chihuahua in the top crate had diarrhea everywhere in our first hour out, I was very glad that we could pull off immediately and get it taken care of.
We did the drive in 2 days with over 15 hours the first day. We weren't sure how far we were going to make it, so we found a place that you could cancel your reservation pretty close to check-in time at our "quitting early" destination, and got a $30-40 reservation at a Motel 6 or something for our "long haul" that we were willing to waste if we didn't think we could make it (we made it).
I flew out ahead of time to find a place, but didn't find anything, so we got a one month rental (I actually just posted on craigslist what we were looking for price-wise and situation, and got lots of responses), and then found a permanent place once we were there, leaving most of our stuff in storage.
I have used media mail for books and records in the past (and highly recommend it), but, since we had the truck already, we had room this time.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have a buddy helping you pack, make them go through and sort the piles into "school stuff" "mail" "official stuff" (bank statements, insurance paperwork etc) and any other categories. It's easier to go through and sort once it's been pre-sorted. (Thanks to my sis for doing this for me!)

Yeahh... that would be my husband. I definitely need to make him do this.

Glad your move went well! I'm very jealous of everyone who gets to get settled in at their new places well ahead of starting school. We aren't moving until the begining of August. :( We also have some family visiting next weekend so I've had to put my packing on hold so that our apartment isn't covered with boxes while they stay with us. But after that... let the fun begin! :laugh:

That's why packing out is so hard for me. You have to keep living in a space and your ability to do everyday things just gets more circumscribed as time goes on. When you move in, you can unpack as need be.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm making the move tomorrow. :/ I'll have my fish, two salamanders, and a dog. It was too much to rent a truck (and cheaper to buy new stuff), so I'm getting rid of my furniture. I'm taking whatever will fit in my car tomorrow, and then I have a 4-day weekend for July 4th, so I'm using that to get another load of my stuff to take down. My friend is also going to take a few of my boxes. This will be the furthest I've driven alone, but I plan to drive straight to my new location with very few stops. The dog will be in the back of the car, the salamanders in my passenger seat, and the fish in a small plastic container. For packing dishes, I found it helpful to wrap glass things in my clothes instead of newspaper. My boyfriend suggested it. :) I can't believe I start vet school next week!

Holy crap that is so early :eek:
I know. :/ I didn't get much of a summer. I really wanted to attend a convention with my boyfriend, but I'm super excited to start classes. My orientation is Thursday, and we start next Monday. It's crazy. Our semester goes straight through December.

Can we talk about the cab of a moving truck for a minute? How much room are in those things? We are getting a 14' truck if that makes a difference. This photo makes the cab seem enormous but it's probably not:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-qxe93ZKAhZ4/TggJuzFxzYI/AAAAAAAAAPw/I64jY-8ckZk/s1600/IMG_0161.JPG

My cat-mover just bailed on me. So now I have to figure out how to move 5 cats about 5 hours away from where we live now. I had a crazy idea of smooshing them all into the cab with my husband and I (one on my lap, two at my feet, three on the small bucket seat) and I know that's crazy. They all have soft carriers but still... I know it's crazy.

Can we talk about the cab of a moving truck for a minute? How much room are in those things? We are getting a 14' truck if that makes a difference. This photo makes the cab seem enormous but it's probably not:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-qxe93ZKAhZ4/TggJuzFxzYI/AAAAAAAAAPw/I64jY-8ckZk/s1600/IMG_0161.JPG

My cat-mover just bailed on me. So now I have to figure out how to move 5 cats about 5 hours away from where we live now. I had a crazy idea of smooshing them all into the cab with my husband and I (one on my lap, two at my feet, three on the small bucket seat) and I know that's crazy. They all have soft carriers but still... I know it's crazy.

This is 6 cats! Are they going to multiply? :D
5 hours isn't a super long drive. I would think the two on the floor would be tough. But I bet you could find a way to do 5. Even if it's a little cozy, 5 hours isn't bad.

I bet you could fit a soft sided carrier between the bucket seat and the dash, then put one on top and stack two more on the seat on top of each other. Then you'd just have one more carrier at your feet or on your lap.

truck cabs are pretty spacious, but you can always go visit in person if necessary.

With stacking I don't see a problem. Just don't stop short or hit anything :rolleyes:

This is 6 cats! Are they going to multiply? :D
5 hours isn't a super long drive. I would think the two on the floor would be tough. But I bet you could find a way to do 5. Even if it's a little cozy, 5 hours isn't bad.

Haha whoops... no more cats! 5 is definitely my max. ;)

I bet you could fit a soft sided carrier between the bucket seat and the dash, then put one on top and stack two more on the seat on top of each other. Then you'd just have one more carrier at your feet or on your lap.

That seems like it could totally work. I just wish I had the dimensions of the seats and whatnot. I s'pose I could go and peek in a truck in person.

truck cabs are pretty spacious, but you can always go visit in person if necessary.

With stacking I don't see a problem. Just don't stop short or hit anything :rolleyes:

That was my husband's fear too.

I spoke to a family member about helping us and she's game so I probably won't resort to stuffing them in the cab with us. I do like knowing that it *could* work if we get into a real pinch though since our new helper isn't the most reliable person.

How do y'all deal with hangers? I have like 70+ hard plastic ones and could just stick them all in a bag but they always get tangled and become a giant mess. Suggestions?

How do y'all deal with hangers? I have like 70+ hard plastic ones and could just stick them all in a bag but they always get tangled and become a giant mess. Suggestions?

Every year when I had to pack up my dorm, I stuffed mine into a plastic drawer along with jackets and such until it could barely close. I've never had a problem with them getting tangled (mine are hard plastic ones from Target or something), just being difficult to open the drawer/get the first few out. Not sure if this helps you at all though since it kind of relies on already having such a drawer. Also I don't think I have quite that many.

Members don't see this ad :)
Every year when I had to pack up my dorm, I stuffed mine into a plastic drawer along with jackets and such until it could barely close. I've never had a problem with them getting tangled (mine are hard plastic ones from Target or something), just being difficult to open the drawer/get the first few out. Not sure if this helps you at all though since it kind of relies on already having such a drawer. Also I don't think I have quite that many.

yep, the hard plastic ones from Target! I didn't realize how many I had until I just now counted them.
all my plastic drawers are already filled with stuff. :/

just had a thought to just loop a belt or rope or something through the middle and stick them in the car just like that. don't know how well it will work though...

Maybe use tie wrap/zip ties to secure 10-12 together in packs?

I've also used these boxes before while moving and while it does make it easier to move hanging stuff, it's kind of annoying to pay for a box you'll just throw away in the end.
http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/category/Shorty-Wardrobe-Box?id=3269

wrap some paper around it and then put packing tape on top of the paper (the paper makes it easier to take the tape off).... wrap the hanging part and the hangar part... Put as many together as you can.

Make them into stacks and put the stacks laying flat in boxes. Fill in around them with clothes and such.

Or, see if you can sell them all and start all over again at the new location.

I don't even take the clothes off the hangers. I just take the whole shebang down and dump into a big tote, folding the clothes so that I can sweep them all up by the hangers again on the other side. Much easier than de- and re-hanging.

In my 16' Penske truck I could easily have done 5 cats. Who are you renting from? If you can, go to the place and ask to see 14' truck cabs to get a feel for how much space you have. Alternately, ask your future classmates if they would be willing to lend a hand and offer to pay their gas and love them forever and owe them favors. They may know someone making that trip at a similar time.

I hope it works out! The Penske cab was crazy spacious. I hope yours is too.

In my 16' Penske truck I could easily have done 5 cats. Who are you renting from? If you can, go to the place and ask to see 14' truck cabs to get a feel for how much space you have. Alternately, ask your future classmates if they would be willing to lend a hand and offer to pay their gas and love them forever and owe them favors. They may know someone making that trip at a similar time.

I hope it works out! The Penske cab was crazy spacious. I hope yours is too.

Interesting... did your Penske cab have three seats? There's that weird small bucket seat in the middle of the U-Haul cabs and I was told they're all like that (and that we can't take it out). I feel like there would be so much more room if that wasn't there. These are the only photos I can find and it looks pretty large/nice/new...

Up to a certain size (I think one size up from 16') the Penske trucks have two bucket seats. Above that, it's one bench seat. All the trucks in the fleet are less than 2 years old.

I originally reserved a U Haul truck before calling around to compare prices and perks. U Haul told me I could cancel my reservation at no charge up until a certain point. I'm not sure how close to the date, because I canceled it pretty far out.

The photos are pretty representative. Of course, all the trucks are yellow nowadays. Not sure how old those photos are, but yeah, there's a giant space between the seats to stow things. I stacked three cat carriers there. In the 16' truck, the space between the seats was not quite enough to put two side-by-side, but much larger than would be needed for one. It was about 1.5 cat carriers wide, if that makes sense.

I've packed 3 boxes of books from my bookcase today, and I'm just getting started! Yaaay for progress!

I've packed 3 boxes of books from my bookcase today, and I'm just getting started! Yaaay for progress!

Yay progress! :thumbup:

I packed 6 boxes over the weekend and we have someone coming to look at (and hopefully buy) a bunch of furniture tonight. I had to empty out my dresser and nighstand last night so I'll be living out of cardboard boxes for a month until we move but it will be worth it if we can get this stuff sold and GONE. :xf:

I made it down to Mississippi alright, and so did my pets (including my fish). I do have one piece of advice that I think would be very helpful. Try to make arrangements for internet before you move down. I waited to call until I was already down there to set-up service. I was told I could pay $100 to have it the next day, or I could wait a few days to install it myself. I decided to wait and save money. However, they turned on my service a day late, and then it wouldn't work for me. I was supposed to have a technician come out, but they got behind and couldn't make it last week. The appointment was rescheduled for today (since I went home for the holiday), and they still haven't shown up after I've called twice. I'm borrowing my neighbor's WiFi, but it cuts out a lot. I've gone two weeks without internet, and it's miserable since I haven't been able to access course material from home. :mad:

Posting on this old thread because I don't know where else it would be relevant! I haven't read all the old responses lol.

So I am starting to think about moving me, my SO, my two cats, and our stuff from the Midwest to the West coast in May. The drive would be about 34 hours of straight driving which I would prefer doing in 3 days but it could be 2. My partner has a ford fiesta and I do not own a car. We have don't have any furniture/large items to move but he wants to bring his TV and his 29 gallon fish tank and stand if possible. We have thought of 2 possible options to go about this somewhat affordably as not all of our stuff will fit in his car with the cats.

Option one: Both cats fly under the seat in the cabin with my parents who are visiting for graduation. This is $100ish per cat. I send as much as 4 50 lb packages back with them in checked baggage at $25 per bag. Whatever we can fit goes in the car. The remaining things are sent via amtrak at 75 cents a pound.

Option two: Get a hitch for the car at $100. Then rent a trailer for $300. The cats can roam the car as we drive and all our stuff goes in the trailer.

I'm not sure whether the cats going on a plane or spending 3 days in a car would be more stressful. Option 1 would put much less stress on the car whereas option 2 would likely be cheaper. Any other ideas? Renting a car or truck is unbearably expensive and we don't have furniture to haul.

Posting on this old thread because I don't know where else it would be relevant! I haven't read all the old responses lol.

So I am starting to think about moving me, my SO, my two cats, and our stuff from the Midwest to the West coast in May. The drive would be about 34 hours of straight driving which I would prefer doing in 3 days but it could be 2. My partner has a ford fiesta and I do not own a car. We have don't have any furniture/large items to move but he wants to bring his TV and his 29 gallon fish tank and stand if possible. We have thought of 2 possible options to go about this somewhat affordably as not all of our stuff will fit in his car with the cats.

Option one: Both cats fly under the seat in the cabin with my parents who are visiting for graduation. This is $100ish per cat. I send as much as 4 50 lb packages back with them in checked baggage at $25 per bag. Whatever we can fit goes in the car. The remaining things are sent via amtrak at 75 cents a pound.

Option two: Get a hitch for the car at $100. Then rent a trailer for $300. The cats can roam the car as we drive and all our stuff goes in the trailer.

I'm not sure whether the cats going on a plane or spending 3 days in a car would be more stressful. Option 1 would put much less stress on the car whereas option 2 would likely be cheaper. Any other ideas? Renting a car or truck is unbearably expensive and we don't have furniture to haul.
Flying-I guess you'd have to think about how chill your cats are, as you know them best. Plus, it will be your parents with them, not you, so you'd have to make sure they (and you) are comfortable should anything happen (cat puke, feces, urine, stressed kitty, etc.). Depending on the state, you may need a health certificate too (extra expense from a USDA accredited vet, although usually nothing crazy). USDA APHIS | Travel with your pet state to state (Interstate)

As for driving them-I wouldn't recommend letting them roam. I have a 6 hour drive that I do with my cats regularly-I bought them a medium dog crate, and they stay in that with a litter box. Fits perfectly in my sedan. Enough space to move around and use the box (and food/water, but my drives are short enough that I don't typically offer either). I just don't see letting them roam as a safe option.

I recommend that clients going on long trips map out their route and make note of emergency vets along the way should anything happen, too. The DVM I currently work for would also recommend you have cerenia +/- sedatives on hand, but wouldn't recommend sedation if the cats are up in the air if you thought they may benefit from that. Would still technically need to have whatever paperwork each state you drive through requires.

I don't even take the clothes off the hangers. I just take the whole shebang down and dump into a big tote, folding the clothes so that I can sweep them all up by the hangers again on the other side. Much easier than de- and re-hanging.
I do the same, it drives my mom insane but it also saves a ton of time and space.

Reactions: 1 user
Flying-I guess you'd have to think about how chill your cats are, as you know them best. Plus, it will be your parents with them, not you, so you'd have to make sure they (and you) are comfortable should anything happen (cat puke, feces, urine, stressed kitty, etc.). Depending on the state, you may need a health certificate too (extra expense from a USDA accredited vet, although usually nothing crazy). USDA APHIS | Travel with your pet state to state (Interstate)

As for driving them-I wouldn't recommend letting them roam. I have a 6 hour drive that I do with my cats regularly-I bought them a medium dog crate, and they stay in that with a litter box. Fits perfectly in my sedan. Enough space to move around and use the box (and food/water, but my drives are short enough that I don't typically offer either). I just don't see letting them roam as a safe option.

I recommend that clients going on long trips map out their route and make note of emergency vets along the way should anything happen, too. The DVM I currently work for would also recommend you have cerenia +/- sedatives on hand, but wouldn't recommend sedation if the cats are up in the air if you thought they may benefit from that. Would still technically need to have whatever paperwork each state you drive through requires.

I do the same, it drives my mom insane but it also saves a ton of time and space.
Yeah putting them in a crate together would be ideal. Either way they would take up most/all of the car and not leave a lot for belongings.

They are not used to car or airline travel. In the short car rides we have gone on, they haven't seemed entirely happy but not completely out of their minds either. I would think perhaps a flight would be more stressful, but it would only be one day whereas a car ride would be for 3 days. I might edge out the flight as being less stressful, though I could be wrong.

Is it hard to find a USDA accredited vet? I haven't looked into that much.

Yeah putting them in a crate together would be ideal. Either way they would take up most/all of the car and not leave a lot for belongings.

They are not used to car or airline travel. In the short car rides we have gone on, they haven't seemed entirely happy but not completely out of their minds either. I would think perhaps a flight would be more stressful, but it would only be one day whereas a car ride would be for 3 days. I might edge out the flight as being less stressful, though I could be wrong.

Is it hard to find a USDA accredited vet? I haven't looked into that much.
As far as I know, there's no registry where you could look up the nearest accredited vet near you. You may have to call around.

When I've flown with my dog in the cabin (as a pet, in a carrier), the airlines haven't required health certificates to let the pet on the plane. I've used both Delta and Southwest. The state I visit does require a health certificate to enter even though the airlines don't require you to show it for pets. That said, I've never been asked if I have one once I arrive in the destination state.

If you're considering flying with the cats, keep in mind that your parents will have to remove the cat(s) from the carrier and carry them in their arms through the metal detector, and then continue to hold the cats while their hands are swabbed for explosives before they can be put back in the carrier (which, note: my Sturdibag large carrier is great...very collapsible to squeeze under the plane seat, well ventilated, and lightweight for those long treks through terminals). If you fly from a small airport or if your cats are chill, that may not be an issue, but I can only imagine a pet getting loose in LAX or ATL or one of the busier airports. I've seen people fly with cats no problem though.

If you're considering flying with the cats, keep in mind that your parents will have to remove the cat(s) from the carrier and carry them in their arms through the metal detector, and then continue to hold the cats while their hands are swabbed for explosives before they can be put back in the carrier (which, note: my Sturdibag large carrier is great...very collapsible to squeeze under the plane seat, well ventilated, and lightweight for those long treks through terminals). If you fly from a small airport or if your cats are chill, that may not be an issue, but I can only imagine a pet getting loose in LAX or ATL or one of the busier airports. I've seen people fly with cats no problem though.

I was going to mention this, too. People I know that fly with their cats usually have them in a harness with leash on in the carrier until after security. Then go to the bathroom or a quiet area and take them off for the flight.

I don't know if I would feel comfortable with anyone but me flying with my cats unless they were super chill. I would be too worried the strange, loud place with a person they weren't use to would be overwhelming and they would escape.

Everyone who travels with a pet should know about this website: USDA APHIS | APHIS Pet Travel
You can look up accredited vets in your area on it and find out the travel requirements for pretty much anywhere.
Does it actually have a list, though? I linked APHIS above and it just says to call around and ask if a vet is USDA accredited.

I don't know if I would feel comfortable with anyone but me flying with my cats unless they were super chill. I would be too worried the strange, loud place with a person they weren't use to would be overwhelming and they would escape.
Or you could have a super chill cat who knows you really well...and she could still escape.

Flew from CA to Boston on a red eye with my cat; woke up mid flight to find her gone from her carrier.

I panicked, started hitting the call button like a crazy person, and the flight attendants searched the floor of the whole plane with flashlights. Finally moved their flashlights up to seat level...and found her a few rows back sitting on some random dude's lap and purring. He said "she wandered over here and looked like she wanted a friend". Lol

...Soft carriers are great for flying, but if you go that route make sure your carrier is secure.

(Was the cat in my avatar, btw. Also flew CA to MA and back a few other times with another chill cat with no mishaps).

Reactions: 1 users
Or you could have a super chill cat who knows you really well...and she could still escape.

Flew from CA to Boston on a red eye with my cat; woke up mid flight to find her gone from her carrier.

I panicked, started hitting the call button like a crazy person, and the flight attendants searched the floor of the whole plane with flashlights. Finally moved their flashlights up to seat level...and found her a few rows back sitting on some random dude's lap and purring. He said "she wandered over here and looked like she wanted a friend". Lol

...Soft carriers are great for flying, but if you go that route make sure your carrier is secure.

(Was the cat in my avatar, btw. Also flew CA to MA and back a few other times with another chill cat with no mishaps).
oh god. Though i love how the dude was just so chill about a random cat appearing during a flight and didn't try to find where she came from :laugh:

Reactions: 2 users
I moved from California to Georgia last year and spent 5 days on the road with 3 dogs and 2 cats. Ditto what someone else said above ... bad idea to let cats roam in the car. We limited our driving to 8-9 hours/day and I don’t think my cats were even remotely interested in getting out. I lined their carriers with pee pads for incidentals but I think we only had 1 accident on the road. At night I would let them wander in the hotel room but they would really just use the litter box, eat, and go back in their carriers. I had Cerenia and gabapentin on hand if needed. Oh, I also used feliway.

My other thought ... I don’t think Ford Fiestas are rated for towing. Odds are you’d be ok as long as the trailer is light but you risk doing major damage to your transmission. Not sure if it’s worth it.

My sisters flown with her cat a few times and she even brings a little disposable baking tray and a small ziploc of litter and takes him to the plane bathroom and puts the litter in the tray and he pees in it right away and she tosses it :laugh:

I drove about 1200 miles with dog, cat, and snake over the course of a few days (and staying in pet friendly hotels). Whenever I would stop at a rest stop, I would set up the cat's litterbox in the back trunk (I have a hatchback) and leave her alone for a little bit in the parked car to pee/poo if she needed to while I walked the dog around. Seemed to work out ok.

My other thought ... I don’t think Ford Fiestas are rated for towing. Odds are you’d be ok as long as the trailer is light but you risk doing major damage to your transmission. Not sure if it’s worth it.

Your Ford Fiesta will be very angry with you if you try to tow a trailer. Ford puts out a towing guide for all its cars (I have a Ford also) - you can check it out here: RV & Trailer Towing Guides | fleet.ford.com

Pretty much all the guide says about The Fiesta is that it is "not recommended for towing." Generally that's because you risk damaging the transmission, brakes, suspension, etc if you exceed the weight capacity the car is rated for.

Even if you were willing to risk damage to the car that way, you run the risk that you might not be able to stop efficiently (or at all) while driving at freeway speeds. Although, if you're feeling risky, that could make for a very exciting roadtrip! :heckyeah:

Reactions: 2 users
I moved from California to Georgia last year and spent 5 days on the road with 3 dogs and 2 cats. Ditto what someone else said above ... bad idea to let cats roam in the car. We limited our driving to 8-9 hours/day and I don’t think my cats were even remotely interested in getting out. I lined their carriers with pee pads for incidentals but I think we only had 1 accident on the road. At night I would let them wander in the hotel room but they would really just use the litter box, eat, and go back in their carriers. I had Cerenia and gabapentin on hand if needed. Oh, I also used feliway.

@britzen
Yes they are not rated for towing. It's not my car. My SO knows this but thought it would be fine... I personally don't think it would be a very good idea at all but I really know nothing about cars. I should try and persuade him with the other option lol.

When I've flown with my dog in the cabin (as a pet, in a carrier), the airlines haven't required health certificates to let the pet on the plane. I've used both Delta and Southwest. The state I visit does require a health certificate to enter even though the airlines don't require you to show it for pets. That said, I've never been asked if I have one once I arrive in the destination state.

I do have one small harness that fits my female and could buy one for my male. Would they allow the cats to have a harness on and a leash attached? My female is fine about being held and I wouldn't worry as much about her. But my male isn't big on being held and well, yeah, I would worry about him scratching the crap out of my parents and them letting go or something.

Ugh, it just sounds like there is no good way to go about this.

Does anyone have any tips for people that are currently wait listed, but potentially could end up accepted? I'm on the alternate list for ksu. I live in NC. Although I'd be extremely happy to get a call anywhere until orientation starts, but also really nervous about a hurried move across a few states, finding an appartment, bringing stuff, etc.

@britzen
Yes they are not rated for towing. It's not my car. My SO knows this but thought it would be fine... I personally don't think it would be a very good idea at all but I really know nothing about cars. I should try and persuade him with the other option lol.
UHaul I believe has a service similar to PODS where you pack up a unit (similar size to a small trailer) and they ship it for you. Would be more expensive than renting a trailer yourself, but it’s something to look into. Then you can just drive with a few things in the car and the cats, and not have to worry about towing.

Does anyone have experience or tips for flying with a large (60lb) dog? I'll be moving from the east coast out to Davis and I'm weighing my options between taking my furniture in a U-Haul and towing my car (bringing along my dog) vs buying furniture and shipping my car, which would require flying myself and my dog out. I'm very wary of putting him in cargo, so was wondering if anyone has had positive experiences? I've read somewhere on SDN about buying a seat for a large dog on the plane? Also wary of this considering his age (<1 y/o) and the potential for misbehavior during the ~6 hour flight. Any tips, thoughts, and advice are much appreciated!!

Does anyone have experience or tips for flying with a large (60lb) dog? I'll be moving from the east coast out to Davis and I'm weighing my options between taking my furniture in a U-Haul and towing my car (bringing along my dog) vs buying furniture and shipping my car, which would require flying myself and my dog out. I'm very wary of putting him in cargo, so was wondering if anyone has had positive experiences? I've read somewhere on SDN about buying a seat for a large dog on the plane? Also wary of this considering his age (<1 y/o) and the potential for misbehavior during the ~6 hour flight. Any tips, thoughts, and advice are much appreciated!!
My uncle just took his 35 lb dog to Florida for the winter and she flew delta cargo and was fine. I know she’s under 2, but not exactly sure how old she is. Not entirely sure that an airline would allow you to purchase a seat for a large dog and have them fly that way. You could definitely call and check, but it doesn’t really seem like something they’d allow tbh.
My vet does recommend pet shipping carriers to people who are looking to ship their pet especially if it’s going to be multiple flights or internationally. They have people on the ground on each end (and any stops in between) taking care of your dog, so you could look into those. I THINK pet air carrier and pet express were two they’ve worked with before, but I’m not positive. This could even be a potential option for you and your cats, @ziggyandjazzy

@britzen

If he's willing to risk it, meh. Not your car, not your problem! Lol

I think you can get trailers that have their own braking systems - you might look into renting one of those to help prevent any potential problems with the trailer overtaxing the brakes.

UHaul I believe has a service similar to PODS where you pack up a unit (similar size to a small trailer) and they ship it for you. Would be more expensive than renting a trailer yourself, but it’s something to look into. Then you can just drive with a few things in the car and the cats, and not have to worry about towing.

We used this service when we moved from Chicago to VA. It was a really great and easy experience. Obviously more expensive than renting a trailer to tow behind you, but came out to be about the same (maybe even less?) than renting and driving a truck. You can get quotes for the cost online.

We flew at Christmas time with our 45-ish lb dog from Chicago to Seattle about 5 years ago. I flew Alaska Airlines, in part because they have a good reputation for flying with pets in cargo and because they will put a confirmation on your seat as soon as your dog is loaded on the plane, that way you know when you get on the plane whether your dog is actually on it too. (It is a small thing, but was huge for making me less anxious.)

On the way from Chicago > Seattle, the confirmation was there waiting for me as soon as I got on the plane. On the way back it wasn't there, and you can bet your butt I was harassing the flight attendant before I'd even sat down (my dog had actually just been loaded on the plane, but his confirmation hadn't made its way to the cabin yet.)

My two main pieces of advice would be:

1. Get a direct flight. Even if you have to pay more money for it. You are much more likely to have trouble if you have connecting flights, and it will be a more stressful and longer trip for your dog.

2. Take weather into consideration, and, again, pay more if you have to in order to get a flight that leaves during a time of day that lessens the chance of heat stroke or hypothermia for your pet (they will be in non-climate controlled areas at least some of the time.)

When we flew out we paid for more expensive flights that were direct and also when the weather would be more tolerable for our dog. Since it was winter in Chicago we got a flight that left midday from Chicago > Seattle, and on the way back we got a flight that landed midday in Chicago so that it would be warm enough not too worry about the temperature. For you, in the summer, you might want to try to time it so that your dog is never sitting on the tarmac in the heat (maybe a red-eye or an very early morning flight?). Also, leave some room in your budget to change your flight if the weather is crappy and a heat wave pops up- you probably won't know that until a week or so out.

Some other tips:
You can zip tie the gate of the crate shut to be extra sure that it won't accidentally pop open. (If you do this, make sure you have something that can cut the zip ties once you pick your dog up).

Also, make sure you have a poop bag and some paper towels with you when you let your dog out. My house-broken dog decided it would be a super good idea to poop right in the middle of the Chicago baggage claim once we let him out of the crate. :rolleyes:

All that said, my dog hated the experience and was pretty traumatized the whole trip, so I vowed never to put him in cargo again if I could help it. My other dog (that we got later so wasn't on this trip) would not fair well at all because he is very nervous and has a history of chewing on his legs until he bleeds when very stressed. So, I guess also take your dogs personality into consideration too.

Lastly, road trips with dogs are super fun! I've taken my dogs on hikes and camping in all sorts of places! I think they've been to 22 states coast to coast, and we've been on walks everywhere from the National Mall in DC to Redwood National Park in CA (and basically every state and national park anywhere near I-80, I-90, I-94, and I-5).

I mentioned in a previous post the UHaul pod service, so you could look into that too. Ship all of your stuff in a pod and then just drive your own car cross country. The cost when we did it really wasn't that different than renting and driving a truck ourselves.

@britzen
True, it's his car, but how would your cats fare if you're broken down on the side of the road for hours waiting for roadside assistance? If they're already freaking out it won't help things.

Personally if I were in your position, I'd drive them. You have a lot of control over the situation that way. It's a long trip, but you have Feliway, anti-nausea meds, etc. that you can look into with your vet to make the trip smoother.

Side story: I once say a Fiesta broken down on the side of the highway, it was towing (or trying to) a very large/expensive boat, lol.

My uncle just took his 35 lb dog to Florida for the winter and she flew delta cargo and was fine. I know she’s under 2, but not exactly sure how old she is. Not entirely sure that an airline would allow you to purchase a seat for a large dog and have them fly that way. You could definitely call and check, but it doesn’t really seem like something they’d allow tbh.
My vet does recommend pet shipping carriers to people who are looking to ship their pet especially if it’s going to be multiple flights or internationally. They have people on the ground on each end (and any stops in between) taking care of your dog, so you could look into those. I THINK pet air carrier and pet express were two they’ve worked with before, but I’m not positive. This could even be a potential option for you and your cats, @ziggyandjazzy

We flew at Christmas time with our 45-ish lb dog from Chicago to Seattle about 5 years ago. I flew Alaska Airlines, in part because they have a good reputation for flying with pets in cargo and because they will put a confirmation on your seat as soon as your dog is loaded on the plane, that way you know when you get on the plane whether your dog is actually on it too. (It is a small thing, but was huge for making me less anxious.)

On the way from Chicago > Seattle, the confirmation was there waiting for me as soon as I got on the plane. On the way back it wasn't there, and you can bet your butt I was harassing the flight attendant before I'd even sat down (my dog had actually just been loaded on the plane, but his confirmation hadn't made its way to the cabin yet.)

My two main pieces of advice would be:

1. Get a direct flight. Even if you have to pay more money for it. You are much more likely to have trouble if you have connecting flights, and it will be a more stressful and longer trip for your dog.

2. Take weather into consideration, and, again, pay more if you have to in order to get a flight that leaves during a time of day that lessens the chance of heat stroke or hypothermia for your pet (they will be in non-climate controlled areas at least some of the time.)

When we flew out we paid for more expensive flights that were direct and also when the weather would be more tolerable for our dog. Since it was winter in Chicago we got a flight that left midday from Chicago > Seattle, and on the way back we got a flight that landed midday in Chicago so that it would be warm enough not too worry about the temperature. For you, in the summer, you might want to try to time it so that your dog is never sitting on the tarmac in the heat (maybe a red-eye or an very early morning flight?). Also, leave some room in your budget to change your flight if the weather is crappy and a heat wave pops up- you probably won't know that until a week or so out.

Some other tips:
You can zip tie the gate of the crate shut to be extra sure that it won't accidentally pop open. (If you do this, make sure you have something that can cut the zip ties once you pick your dog up).

Also, make sure you have a poop bag and some paper towels with you when you let your dog out. My house-broken dog decided it would be a super good idea to poop right in the middle of the Chicago baggage claim once we let him out of the crate. :rolleyes:

All that said, my dog hated the experience and was pretty traumatized the whole trip, so I vowed never to put him in cargo again if I could help it. My other dog (that we got later so wasn't on this trip) would not fair well at all because he is very nervous and has a history of chewing on his legs until he bleeds when very stressed. So, I guess also take your dogs personality into consideration too.

Lastly, road trips with dogs are super fun! I've taken my dogs on hikes and camping in all sorts of places! I think they've been to 22 states coast to coast, and we've been on walks everywhere from the National Mall in DC to Redwood National Park in CA (and basically every state and national park anywhere near I-80, I-90, I-94, and I-5).

I mentioned in a previous post the UHaul pod service, so you could look into that too. Ship all of your stuff in a pod and then just drive your own car cross country. The cost when we did it really wasn't that different than renting and driving a truck ourselves.

Thank you both so much!! My main concern is since he's still a puppy now I don't know all his quirks yet, and he tends to get carsick on and off - which hopefully he'll grow out of. I think the least worried I'll be is driving, but in case that isn't viable for whatever reason I'd like to be as prepared as possible for flying. I'll definitely look into the pet carrier companies too. Thanks!!