Cs Atlanta fail July 12 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

<3MD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found out I did not pass CS July 12 at the Atlanta test center. I am totally bummed and rescheduled to take the exam again. At my testing center we experienced a computer glitch where they said not to worry if someone else name appear on your screen just continue as normal and the issue would be resolved. I'm wondering if this contributed and I launched an investigation with nbme. Is there anyone out there that may have been affected by this as well? I scored high in cis and sep, but borderline/low in ICE, which could have potentially been affected by this mix up glitch. I know it's a long shot, but I am really stumped as to what I could've done so horribly wrong across the board to fail.

Secondly, I'm seeking advice about how to approach this considering eras open sept 15 and I will have a failed CS score on my transcript. Should I wait to release my transcript or just release and pray for the best? A new cs score won't be posted until jan 10 at earliest.

Members don't see this ad.

I know it must be very difficult for you right now. I was in the same boat 4 years ago.

Few Qs:
IMG (green card or need a visa) or AMG?
what residency are you planning to pursue?

I just found out I did not pass CS July 12 at the Atlanta test center. I am totally bummed and rescheduled to take the exam again. At my testing center we experienced a computer glitch where they said not to worry if someone else name appear on your screen just continue as normal and the issue would be resolved. I'm wondering if this contributed and I launched an investigation with nbme. Is there anyone out there that may have been affected by this as well? I scored high in cis and sep, but borderline/low in ICE, which could have potentially been affected by this mix up glitch. I know it's a long shot, but I am really stumped as to what I could've done so horribly wrong across the board to fail.

Secondly, I'm seeking advice about how to approach this considering eras open sept 15 and I will have a failed CS score on my transcript. Should I wait to release my transcript or just release and pray for the best? A new cs score won't be posted until jan 10 at earliest.

This really sucks. I bet they were able to determine accurately which exam was yours and thus you most likely actually did fail this stupid ignorant worthless (but expensive) exam. Its really really a longshot and the fact the scores have been released shows confidence in the results. They wouldn't publish them if they weren't sure. However, they could be confident in the scores and still be wrong.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Get in touch with USMLE ASAP and see if they can review this and that you experienced technical issues on their part that may have led to your fail. If you were close to passing ICE then that case could've been the one to sink you. Honestly it's a long shot but it's better than doing nothing.

As for the fail, I think you're going to have to release transcripts because no program will offer interviews without a Step 1 score on it. It really sucks this happened to you. If you're step 1 is good then I can see a few programs overlooking it assuming you're going for something like FM, IM or Peds.

Reactions: 1 user
I know it must be very difficult for you right now. I was in the same boat 4 years ago.

Few Qs:

I'm an AMG. Was planning on applying to EM. My clerkship directors still want me to apply especially locally even though it will still be a long shot because I received honors at the 2 hospitals I rotated at and got to know the residents and attendings pretty well. I've also decided to dual apply TY and Anesthesia.

Get in touch with USMLE ASAP and see if they can review this and that you experienced technical issues on their part that may have led to your fail. If you were close to passing ICE then that case could've been the one to sink you. Honestly it's a long shot but it's better than doing nothing.

As for the fail, I think you're going to have to release transcripts because no program will offer interviews without a Step 1 score on it. It really sucks this happened to you. If you're step 1 is good then I can see a few programs overlooking it assuming you're going for something like FM, IM or Peds.

Thanks. I contacted nbme and they said they will investigate and get back to me within 4 weeks. Its definitely a hard pill to swallow. My step 1 is not very high and I haven't gotten my CK results yet. I did well on clerkships and have honors in several rotations with good LORs and SLOEs as I was planning to apply for EM. Now I'm considering dual applying to TY and Anesthesia.

Few Qs:

How did you deal with it? Did you get any interviews? Any advice as to how to proceed?

To be very honest, it will be tough but definitely possible. I personally know 5 people who got into residency but all IM.

Last edited:
IM, FM, psych is definitely possible. I am not sure about EM. I would recommend finding people who can email/call programs on your behalf so that you can make the first cut. All programs have filters and most of them filter applicants with attempts without even reviewing the whole application. So if someone can vouch for you then you have a good shot at IVs. I would recommend applying widely.

Most importantly, work on plan B too.

did you pass the retake?

Hey, I just wanted to update this thread since we have passed the match date. I did retake CS ..... I interviewed at 10 hospitals.....and I have matched! So for anyone who fails a board exam, all is not lost. Just wipe your tears, get on the horse and try again!

I did apply to 3 specialties. As mentioned before I was interested in EM. I also applied to anesthesia and Family medicine for good measure and I wanted to stay local. I will find out Friday what kind of doctor I will be when I grow up!

Reactions: 5 users