C's in Gen Chem 1 and Gen Chem 2, kiss of death?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Protagonistic

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just don't get it. I mean I did all the work, I even studied but the professor put some critical thinking questions on the test and tricky multiple choice which really messed with my mind.

The professor I took was not a bad professor, the professor even dumbed it down a bit for us but her tests were really tricky. The first semester I had bad study habits (took her for chem 1 and chem 2).

The second semester I tried but it just didn't sit well with me. I ACTUALLY started the class off strong, I thought I was going to pull an A again but BAM, after the third test I was hanging for the ropes. The ACS final was like 20 percent of our grade.

I don't know my grade in Gen Chem 2 yet but I am almost certain its a C and I will go by that assumption. I also made a C in gen chem 1. Is this like a major major setback in terms of med school admissions or can this be compensated for? Will retaking the class help?

Members don't see this ad.

So I just don't get it. I mean I did all the work, I even studied but the professor put some critical thinking questions on the test and tricky multiple choice which really messed with my mind.

The professor I took was not a bad professor, the professor even dumbed it down a bit for us but her tests were really tricky. The first semester I had bad study habits (took her for chem 1 and chem 2).

The second semester I tried but it just didn't sit well with me. I ACTUALLY started the class off strong, I thought I was going to pull an A again but BAM, after the third test I was hanging for the ropes. The ACS final was like 20 percent of our grade.

I don't know my grade in Gen Chem 2 yet but I am almost certain its a C and I will go by that assumption. I also made a C in gen chem 1. Is this like a major major setback in terms of med school admissions or can this be compensated for? Will retaking the class help?

From what I've read from these forums, I don't think it's a kiss of death, just as long as you keep your GPA up above 3.6. Even then, a lot of people got into med schools with C's and B's. Try looking at mdapplicants.com.

So, as long as you get a B or better in organic chem, I think, in my honest opinion you're okay.

Yeah u still have a shot although you will need to pick it up a lot obviously.. aiming for A's in every other class...and it probably will be brought up on interviews..only good thing is that doing well on the mcat is >> ugpa as long as your at or above like a 3.5 IMO and for DO schools its even less.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is not the kiss of death, but you are still responsible for gen chem 1 and 2 material for the MCAT. Try to work on the concepts with which you had trouble.

I would not personally retake them--a solid C is fine (C- isn't). If you retake them and still end up with Cs, it'll look pretty bad.

I got a C then a C+ in G. Chem 1 and 2 and managed to get in. Get A's in orgo (as well as the rest of your science classes). Study extra hard on physics since your g. chem is not that strong and those two topics make up 1/3 of the MCAT.

I got a C then a C+ in G. Chem 1 and 2 and managed to get in. Get A's in orgo (as well as the rest of your science classes). Study extra hard on physics since your g. chem is not that strong and those two topics make up 1/3 of the MCAT.

Are the options going to be limited to Caribbean med schools?

elaborate

Because your post smacks of melodrama and, frankly, trollishness. Do you REALLY not know the answer after being a member here for almost a year? What about the hundreds of threads where people have asked if their bad grades are enough to keep them out of medical school, including the three that are on the front page?

I got a LOT of C's in COMMUNITY COLLEGE, but I was still able to sack up, turn around my performance at my state school, and get five interviews this season at U.S. allopathic schools.

Only retake if you have the time. Otherwise, just handle your business in other sciences. I sucked at Gen Chem (B & C+), but have done well enough in Organic (A- and A-/B+) so you may just struggle in that one subject. You'll be fine man. Obviously you'll need to improve, but you need to relax in the meantime.

Because your post smacks of melodrama and, frankly, trollishness. Do you REALLY not know the answer after being a member here for almost a year? What about the hundreds of threads where people have asked if their bad grades are enough to keep them out of medical school, including the three that are on the front page?

I got a LOT of C's in COMMUNITY COLLEGE, but I was still able to sack up, turn around my performance at my state school, and get five interviews this season at U.S. allopathic schools.

QFT.

Seriously, I think at this point you know what it takes to get into med school. Whatever you're doing isn't working. Your grades are subpar. Suck it up, make the necessary sacrifices, and get your grades back up. End of story.

Either you're not putting in the full effort needed to excel in your classes, or you don't possess the intelligence necessary to become a doctor.

Im in the same situation except i got a B in gen chem one.My teacher always makes it difficult for any of us to get an A :thumbdown:.

Members don't see this ad :)
QFT.

Seriously, I think at this point you know what it takes to get into med school. Whatever you're doing isn't working. Your grades are subpar. Suck it up, make the necessary sacrifices, and get your grades back up. End of story.

Either you're not putting in the full effort needed to excel in your classes, or you don't possess the intelligence necessary to become a doctor.
This.

Also keep in mind that nobody says you need to have a 4.0 to get into medical school. I'm not saying it wouldn't help, but remember that the average GPA for matriculants hovers around 3.6, meaning that somewhere along the line, they got grades that were not A's. You made some mistakes and ended up with a couple of mediocre grades in freshman chemistry. Relax. You can fix it.

Didn't read other threads but okay, thanks.

Thanks to all others who helped. This thread was a success.

Wow i don't really post on here as you can see but protagonistic i think you should just face the music your lazy and we all know deep down we will see "I GOT A C IN OCHEM CAN I GET IN MED SCHOOL!?!?!?!" thread at the end of next semester. How about you put in your time for the grade like everyone else and shut up.

and to the following UMADBRO!?!? post... no I'm not this guy just rubs me the wrong way.

If it really bothers you, you can retake it, but you still have Organic Chemistry to really show off your best. So maybe just go ahead and go on, and just go back and fix the grades later on if it really would make much of a difference.

Wow i don't really post on here as you can see but protagonistic i think you should just face the music your lazy and we all know deep down we will see "I GOT A C IN OCHEM CAN I GET IN MED SCHOOL!?!?!?!" thread at the end of next semester. How about you put in your time for the grade like everyone else and shut up.

and to the following UMADBRO!?!? post... no I'm not this guy just rubs me the wrong way.
:thumbup:

Only retake if you have the time. Otherwise, just handle your business in other sciences. I sucked at Gen Chem (B & C+), but have done well enough in Organic (A- and A-/B+) so you may just struggle in that one subject. You'll be fine man. Obviously you'll need to improve, but you need to relax in the meantime.

It's strange how everyone always makes a big deal out of O chem when it seems many people actually handle it better than gen chem.

Idk gen chem I is basically just AP chemistry with some extra stuff...people who haven't taken chemistry in a while tend to suck it up but overall people don't seem to do too bad on it. Gen chem II here though is a whole different story...that was pretty rough for everyone.

The thing with orgo is that there's usually no one who has encountered orgo at all before, so its a steep learning curve for everyone. With gen chem, you usually have a decent amount of people who just took chem last year in high school or just took AP chem, so at least they remember the basis for a lot of whats going on.

Getting C's in chem I and II is like kissing a cobra :laugh:
JK

In after the low level troll account (probably an alternate account of some bitter guy) takes a jab and pushes this thread the other direction. Yes mods, I am extremely aware others can insult me as they please but if I stand my ground or insult them I get banned, but I will take your advice.

To post 20: They didn't have AP Chem in my high school. I was doing better in Chem 2 than Chem 1.

In after the low level troll account (probably an alternate account of some bitter guy) takes a jab and pushes this thread the other direction. Yes mods, I am extremely aware others can insult me as they please but if I stand my ground or insult them I get banned, but I will take your advice.

To post 20: They didn't have AP Chem in my high school. I was doing better in Chem 2 than Chem 1.

Fernando Torres, you should probably take a break from posting on this site and focus on your studies.

You even studied?

My thoughts exactly.
This.

Also keep in mind that nobody says you need to have a 4.0 to get into medical school. I'm not saying it wouldn't help, but remember that the average GPA for matriculants hovers around 3.6, meaning that somewhere along the line, they got grades that were not A's. You made some mistakes and ended up with a couple of mediocre grades in freshman chemistry. Relax. You can fix it.
Seriously, even Harvard's average matriculant GPA is a 3.8, and they could make it a straight 4.0 average if they wanted. GPA is critical, but it doesn't have to be perfect, even to be ubercompetitive.
Idk gen chem I is basically just AP chemistry with some extra stuff...people who haven't taken chemistry in a while tend to suck it up but overall people don't seem to do too bad on it. Gen chem II here though is a whole different story...that was pretty rough for everyone.
Same here.
It's strange how everyone always makes a big deal out of O chem when it seems many people actually handle it better than gen chem.
Also seems to be the case at my school lol...

Being passive-aggressive bitter and sarcastic probably won't help you.

Fernando Torres, you should probably take a break from posting on this site and focus on your studies.
You should quit trying to play the role of parent.

Really? Just got the keys back to the car and you're already heading down this road? You ask a question about your poor performance, fill it with loaded language, and then are surprised when you get responses with...gasp...advice? You don't get to call out every response to your questions that does anything other than pat you on the head like a toddler. If you can't take the advice that comes, don't ask questions. If you have a problem with posts and think that they're breaking the terms of service, push the "Report Post" button. I honestly think SDN serves a need for you; please play by the rules to which we all agree.

You should quit trying to play the role of parent.
You should quit playing the role of a child. Seriously, pick and choose, most premed thread's first posts are likely to be trolls, just wait for the good replies.

Just remember, OP, that no matter what they say, you could probably beat these nerds up in real life.

:cool:

Really? Just got the keys back to the car and you're already heading down this road? You ask a question about your poor performance, fill it with loaded language, and then are surprised when you get responses with...gasp...advice? You don't get to call out every response to your questions that does anything other than pat you on the head like a toddler. If you can't take the advice that comes, don't ask questions. If you have a problem with posts and think that they're breaking the terms of service, push the "Report Post" button. I honestly think SDN serves a need for you; please play by the rules to which we all agree.
you really love me

Didn't read other threads but okay, thanks.

This is why you were banned, and why you will inevitably be banned again. It is obvious you want to vent about your struggles. Go buy a diary, and for the advice that you supposedly seek, put in the 2 minutes it takes to search other threads.

Other resources than can answer your questions include:
  1. MSAR
  2. Google
  3. Random guy on street corner
  4. The sarcastic tone of every lolcat on SDN

This is why you were banned, and why you will inevitably be banned again. It is obvious you want to vent about your struggles. Go buy a diary, and for the advice that you supposedly seek, put in the 2 minutes it takes to search other threads.

Other resources than can answer your questions include:
  1. MSAR
  2. Google
  3. Random guy on street corner
  4. The sarcastic tone of every lolcat on SDN

Didn't read other threads on page, did search an old thread in an old format but that ended up being a major debate.

How in the world did you get that gold donor badge, they must be handing them out or something. Didn't mean to insult you, no, just kidding, srsly, nah not rly.

Fernando, we all know that you are NOT going to any medical school.

Plus chelsea sucks.:laugh:

Didn't read other threads on page, did search an old thread in an old format but that ended up being a major debate.

How in the world did you get that gold donor badge, they must be handing them out or something. Didn't mean to insult you, no, just kidding, srsly, nah not rly.

I don't even

This is why people insult you.

Are the options going to be limited to Caribbean med schools?

Btw if you used the search forum, you'd probably see tons of threads asking this same question.

I even found one just scrolling down the forum.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=817951

lol sorry I couldn't help it.

failure0400.jpg

Fernando, we all know that you are NOT going to any medical school.

Plus chelsea sucks.:laugh:

It plays in the Premier League with Man United and Arsenal. I am sure it was right behind United.

sorry but it looks like you exceeded your bandwidth :( i was really looking forward to your clever reply.

I think the only true "kiss of death" would actually be dying.

LOL this guy is the king of all TROLLs

Status
Not open for further replies.