C's in premed courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Can I get in

• Total voters

kennyram401

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I get C pluses in all of my premedical courses but ace every other course would I still be able to get into medical school. I.e. has anyone ever gotten into a MD or DO school this way?

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly ask yourself if you can only achieve C+ for pre-req courses - how will you fare on your MCAT? Med School? Your Steps? Residency? (the material just gets tougher)

Start good habits early and you'll be able to adjust more efficiently down the road. A C+ in a class or two won't kill you but aiming at being mediocre won't do you any favors going forward.

Reactions: 1 user
If you got C's in every premed prereq course, I'd assume your gpa would be quite low...you're talking 10+ courses here if you divide them up by semesters.

Why pursue medical school if it's evident that science isn't your thing?

Members don't see this ad :)
If I get C pluses in all of my premedical courses but ace every other course would I still be able to get into medical school. I.e. has anyone ever gotten into a MD or DO school this way?
How is this a question? These prerequisite courses are your foundation for medicine. Surely you can't expect to do well or even pass medical school with that kind of tend.

If you got C's in every premed prereq course, I'd assume your gpa would be quite low...you're talking 10+ courses here if you divide them up by semesters.

Why pursue medical school if it's evident that science isn't your thing?
let's just say Cs in the science courses and we are not talking about a gunner but instead someone who is desperate to save a life.

How is this a question? These prerequisite courses are your foundation for medicine. Surely you can't expect to do well or even pass medical school with that kind of tend.
What if it is just in the science courses?

A C+ on a couple prereqs isn't usually a big deal...but a C+ on all of them? That's showing that you are a C+ student where it counts. Barely above average isn't nearly good enough for med school

Reactions: 2 users
Unless you're a major in BCPM to drown out the prereq grades with better upper level performance, your odds are essentially zero. A 2.7 sGPA would require retaking a lot of those science classes even to try for DO

let's just say Cs in the science courses and we are not talking about a gunner but instead someone who is desperate to save a life.

Save your own life and learn how to do better in science courses.

To answer your question though, you would not get in. They would take the guy "desperate to save a life" who has a 3.6/31+

Reactions: 3 users
I'm sure you could if you also did extremely well in upper division science classes.

Are you talking about C's in only prereqs or generally in all of your science courses? I'd find it hard to imagine that one could do exceedingly well in upper div sciences courses if you're hardly passing the basic fundamental courses, unless you change your study habits.

What does being a gunner have to do with anything? Regardless of how strong your desire is to become a doctor, none of that **** matters if you don't have what it takes to handle a rigorous science curriculum. I know this may be hard to believe, but doctors actually have to know stuff in order to save people.

Honestly ask yourself if you can only achieve C+ for pre-req courses - how will you fare on your MCAT? Med School? Your Steps? Residency? (the material just gets tougher)

Start good habits early and you'll be able to adjust more efficiently down the road. A C+ in a class or two won't kill you but aiming at being mediocre won't do you any favors going forward.
A C+ on a couple prereqs isn't usually a big deal...but a C+ on all of them? That's showing that you are a C+ student where it counts. Barely above average isn't nearly good enough for med school
Unless you're a major in BCPM to drown out the prereq grades with better upper level performance, your odds are essentially zero. A 2.7 sGPA would require retaking a lot of those science classes even to try for DO
Save your own life and learn how to do better in science courses.

To answer your question though, you would not get in. They would take the guy "desperate to save a life" who has a 3.6/31+

now suppose you see an applicant who got C's only in the required science prereqs (i.e. Intro bio, chem, physics, and ochem/biochem), but aced all the upper level science courses in biology, chemistry and physics such that the science GPA ended up being roughly 3.4-3.5. same applicant takes the MCAT and demolishes it with 527.

would medical schools reject this applicant for doing poorly on prereqs despite doing well in upper level sciences and on the MCAT?

DO offers straight-up grade replacement, but that is a LOT of grades to replace. Were you aware of the importance of these classes when taking them?

now suppose you see an applicant who got C's only in the required science prereqs (i.e. Intro bio, chem, physics, and ochem/biochem), but aced all the upper level science courses in biology, chemistry and physics such that the science GPA ended up being roughly 3.4-3.5. same applicant takes the MCAT and demolishes it with 527.

would medical schools reject this applicant for doing poorly on prereqs despite doing well in upper level sciences and on the MCAT?

They would have to take like every upper division science class known to man and given such weak performance on the easy intro level stuff I doubt such a person exists, not to mention any human period performing that well on the MCAT is already 1 in 10,000.

That being said, an overal 3.4/527 does stand a good chance but idk how such a candidate would occur (not a 3.4/527 but someone with C+s across the board who all of a sudden becomes a 4.0 student with a perfect MCAT) unless something caused them to be out of commission for like a half a semester for four consecutive semesters

lol.

I imagine some of the top schools would. It's unlikely that someone could display such "switch-like" behavior in all their basic and advanced science courses. But if they did one potential interpretation is that they were a lazy student in the begin and then decided to get serious. I guess it would ultimately depend on how the person sold their story to the adcom (and if the C's were in the beginning of their UG yrs)

OP, getting C's in all your science courses is lethal for admissions, and we'd be doing you a favor by rejecting you, because there's no way you'd survive three weeks in med school.

Wana save a life? Be a paramedic.

in every pre med course??

the material in chemistry, biology and physics underlies the science of medicine, and the skills you gain from solving many test problems underlie the methods used in diagnostics

ask if you can pass medical-level biochemistry, cell physio or pharmacology if you are getting C+'s in gen bio and gen chem