FarEastGrapplr2

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2003
Morgantown, WV
Visit site
Status
ummm, in the usmle video demo, all the docs are wearing Long lab coats. in my hotel, it looked liked the examinees were mixed - 2 short and 1 long. im taking it tomorrow and only brought my long coat cause thats what i saw in the video. should i just borrow a short coat at the center? does it matter?

DrMom

Official Mom of SDN
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
wherever I go, there I am
Status
Attending Physician
The only person I saw at the exam with a long coat was an intern who had put off the test. Just wear whatever you usually wear...or whatever you actually brought...and don't worry about it.

CANES2006

Miami chica
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2002
Miramar, FL
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
You're worrying way too much for this exam. They don't care if you wear a short or long coat. If it makes you feel better I wore a long coat. Just do your thing!

About the Ads
T

Telemachus

Don't worry. Nobody notices or cares about your white coat length.

tigershark

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2004
Status
I would wear a short coat so they know you are a US med student.

TheCat

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2005
Status
Medical Student
tigershark said:
I would wear a short coat so they know you are a US med student.
not true at all, i am at a us md school in the top 30 that all students where long coats the same as residents, attendings etc-nobody wheres short here. I actually where a 3/4 coat only cause i like the look and its not as "sloppy" and long that it gets in your way but dont make assumptions chump

T

Telemachus

TheCat said:
not true at all, i am at a us md school in the top 30 that all students where long coats the same as residents, attendings etc-nobody wheres short here. I actually where a 3/4 coat only cause i like the look and its not as "sloppy" and long that it gets in your way but dont make assumptions chump
not "where," not "its," not English.

Arsenic

posting from the future
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
May 5, 2004
NYC
Status
Attending Physician
TheCat said:
not true at all
exactly, I'm at a US med school too and we use long coats

ExtraCrispy

Funky chicken
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2005
Rockin the henhouse
Status
Wear your usual attire on the wards. Many FMGs who already have their degree have to take CS, so it makes sense that you're seeing people with long coats.

Do be prepared for the standardized patients to call you "Doctor," though. I was taken aback, personally (I've still got six months of shelter behind the "i'm just a student" defense!!) :)

tigershark

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2004
Status
TheCat said:
Yeah OK chump. What your school does is irrelevant, most US med students "where" short coats and the SPs know this.

FarEastGrapplr2

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2003
Morgantown, WV
Visit site
Status
i took mine yesterday. i'd say about 1/3 of the examinees wore the long coats. a few of them were US students.

i forgot a bunch of stuff, and didnt finish my 1st encounter. i didnt stress about the coat, just wore the long one

CANES2006

Miami chica
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2002
Miramar, FL
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
FarEastGrapplr2 said:
i took mine yesterday. i'd say about 1/3 of the examinees wore the long coats. a few of them were US students.

i forgot a bunch of stuff, and didnt finish my 1st encounter. i didnt stress about the coat, just wore the long one
Congrats on finishing the beast. I'm sure you passed even though you forgot some stuff. Good luck. :)

About the Ads