CS, Lab coat - short or long

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FarEastGrapplr2

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
ummm, in the usmle video demo, all the docs are wearing Long lab coats. in my hotel, it looked liked the examinees were mixed - 2 short and 1 long. im taking it tomorrow and only brought my long coat cause thats what i saw in the video. should i just borrow a short coat at the center? does it matter?

Members don't see this ad.

The only person I saw at the exam with a long coat was an intern who had put off the test. Just wear whatever you usually wear...or whatever you actually brought...and don't worry about it.

You're worrying way too much for this exam. They don't care if you wear a short or long coat. If it makes you feel better I wore a long coat. Just do your thing!

Members don't see this ad :)
tigershark said:
I would wear a short coat so they know you are a US med student.

not true at all, i am at a us md school in the top 30 that all students where long coats the same as residents, attendings etc-nobody wheres short here. I actually where a 3/4 coat only cause i like the look and its not as "sloppy" and long that it gets in your way but dont make assumptions chump

TheCat said:
not true at all, i am at a us md school in the top 30 that all students where long coats the same as residents, attendings etc-nobody wheres short here. I actually where a 3/4 coat only cause i like the look and its not as "sloppy" and long that it gets in your way but dont make assumptions chump

not "where," not "its," not English.

Wear your usual attire on the wards. Many FMGs who already have their degree have to take CS, so it makes sense that you're seeing people with long coats.

Do be prepared for the standardized patients to call you "Doctor," though. I was taken aback, personally (I've still got six months of shelter behind the "i'm just a student" defense!!) :)

TheCat said:

Yeah OK chump. What your school does is irrelevant, most US med students "where" short coats and the SPs know this.

i took mine yesterday. i'd say about 1/3 of the examinees wore the long coats. a few of them were US students.

i forgot a bunch of stuff, and didnt finish my 1st encounter. i didnt stress about the coat, just wore the long one

FarEastGrapplr2 said:
i took mine yesterday. i'd say about 1/3 of the examinees wore the long coats. a few of them were US students.

i forgot a bunch of stuff, and didnt finish my 1st encounter. i didnt stress about the coat, just wore the long one

Congrats on finishing the beast. I'm sure you passed even though you forgot some stuff. Good luck. :)