CS Major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RememberMyName

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a freshman computer science major who aims to get into medical school. Right now I am taking gen chem and physics, and am planning to have all my premed pre-reqs done by the first half of junior year. Due to a crowded schedule, I will take a good portion of my major requirements in senior year. I am mainly majoring in CS due to my interest in logic and programming, and I know that I could probably self teach myself a lot about programming since I learned python and C++ by myself. Currently, I do medical imaging research and have plans to develop on EMR systems. My question is should I major in something less intensive and work on CS on the side, or continue with a CS major? A lot of people in my school are skeptical when I tell them my plans, and I have relatively little experience.

Members don't see this ad.

1) Do you feel confident that you can get a good GPA (at least 3.6) while being a CS major?

2) Do you like CS?

If the answer is yes to the above two questions, then go for it!

What do you think will happen if you switch majors? Switching to a major that isn't STEM won't do you much good if you don't like it. It's easier to get an A in a class that's harder and that you like rather than in an easier class that you don't like (Of course, this statement isn't always true and isn't set in stone. But in many cases, it applies). I know many pre-meds that have extremely high sGPA's but low grades in GE's (particularly humanities). Switching to become a bio major won't make it "less intensive". It depends on your university and your skills as to which major will be harder for you to succeed in. The only benefit with bio is that all your pre-reqs will be accounted for by the time you graduate so you wouldn't have to worry about fitting them in otherwise.

TL;DR Do what you like and have confidence in rather than what you feel med schools want you to do :)

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I believe I can get good grades in CS especially since my school curves cs moderately at least initially. Also, I love programming, but I haven't taken any algorithms/ discrete math courses

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I believe I can get good grades in CS especially since my school curves cs moderately at least initially. Also, I love programming, but I haven't taken any algorithms/ discrete math courses

Go for it!

Do be careful though OP, the majority of my friends during college are CS or other engineering majors. From my experience your GPA could potentially tank a lot in the future. I'd talk to some upper-classmen to see how your schedule and classes would be like in the future. If you feel like you can handle it while maintaining a good GPA and still getting time for other ECs, I'd say stick with CS if you like it.

Hello, I am a freshman computer science major who aims to get into medical school. Right now I am taking gen chem and physics, and am planning to have all my premed pre-reqs done by the first half of junior year. Due to a crowded schedule, I will take a good portion of my major requirements in senior year. I am mainly majoring in CS due to my interest in logic and programming, and I know that I could probably self teach myself a lot about programming since I learned python and C++ by myself. Currently, I do medical imaging research and have plans to develop on EMR systems. My question is should I major in something less intensive and work on CS on the side, or continue with a CS major? A lot of people in my school are skeptical when I tell them my plans, and I have relatively little experience.
If you can keep your GPA up, I 100% support this choice. The future belongs to those who understand and work well with technology. It will be an excellent resource for you as a physician, as well as a great way to make your application stand out in the crowd. Good luck!

Hi there,

I am also a CS major in my first year, and I am just taking gen Bio this semester, and I am planning on either taking a gap year, or doing a masters prior to applying. I am kind of limiting myself to taking one science course+lab each year, but I know I will have to either do something over the summer, or end up falling a bit behind.

My current plan is:
Freshman year: Bio
Sopomore year: General Chem
Junior year: Organic
Senior year: Biochem

Sometime in between (intersession, or summer): Physics

The GPA is really the biggest concern, as the course load to take is pretty serious. Best of luck!

Hi there,

I am also a CS major in my first year, and I am just taking gen Bio this semester, and I am planning on either taking a gap year, or doing a masters prior to applying. I am kind of limiting myself to taking one science course+lab each year, but I know I will have to either do something over the summer, or end up falling a bit behind.

My current plan is:
Freshman year: Bio
Sopomore year: General Chem
Junior year: Organic
Senior year: Biochem

Sometime in between (intersession, or summer): Physics

The GPA is really the biggest concern, as the course load to take is pretty serious. Best of luck!
Yeah right now I'm taking gen chem and physics. Next year, I'll take bio and orgo, and junior year biochemistry, sociology, and psychology. Senior year I'm taking the rest of the CS major requirements I couldn't fit in. The grade distribution in CS at my school is pretty fair, with most courses averaging around an A-, so with studying I should be fine. I don't know about you though, since you're only doing one science a year. Are you going to take an extra year or semester?

If you can maintain a high GPA >3.7 while taking all the additional pre-reqs and ec hoops you should be fine. It has a solid plan b incase medicine doesn't work out.

Ok I know I want to major in CS so I have all my classes planned out for the next seven semesters. For the first two years I'm taking two sciences and two cs reqs. Junior year priority is finishing premed reqs and classes for the MCAT. Senior year is all major requirements. Class load is pretty manageable in terms of course load per semester.