CSPP- Alliant at San Diego

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skeptic07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have heard "bad things" on CSPP written on many of these threads and would like to know if anyone can specify. I was accepted there and am hesitant because of so much negativity geared towards the program and anecdotal experiences that invovled some not recieving an optimal education/ training, not finding jobs after graduation, and graduating past the 5 year mark. Please be specific with your answers if able to provide me with some insight.

Thank you kindly!!
YI

Members don't see this ad.

CSPP definitely has its advantages and disadvantages. I attend CSPP-SD and am generally content with the program. However if you are looking for fault, you will usually find it. Ask yourself what you are looking for in a program and whether it meets your goals and expectations. Ask yourself how much practitioner and how much scientist/scholar you are looking for in a university. Are you comparing Alliant with other private universities or research oriented public ones? As far as your concerns, I will have to agree...there are some students that don't graduate in 5 years and aren't competitive for jobs, however there is a lot to be said about personal motivation and drive.

Well, to be fair, there are many schools, both traditional and professional, that don't graduate every student in five years. Sometimes stuff simply doesn't work out on that timeline, life happens, taking on a complicated thesis or dissertation topic happens. I'm not saying that the typical time to degree is an irrelevent statistic, but it may not be the one you should concern yourself with the most. I would look at CSSP's internship match rate. If students are taking longer to graduate because they are having trouble getting an approved internship, that, in my opinion, is a bigger concern.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good point KD. I can't speak specifically to CSPP-SD, but I know many of the CA programs (outside of the large research uni's) have people who only want to stay in CA, so they only apply to CPA accredited sites and don't worry about the APA accreditation, which can negatively impact a school's APPIC match rate. I find this choice a bit short-sighted because it can limit their job options, but I guess they weighed those concerns.

-t

Is there something really special about Cali?

I mean don't get me wrong, it DOES seem like an awesome place to live. I just see alot more people who want to stay in Cali than anywhere else. I've NEVER heard of people just shooting for a regional license because they're confident they always want to live there anywhere else in the country. It seems to be the same way with the med students too, from reading their boards.

Is there something really special about Cali?

I mean don't get me wrong, it DOES seem like an awesome place to live. I just see alot more people who want to stay in Cali than anywhere else. I've NEVER heard of people just shooting for a regional license because they're confident they always want to live there anywhere else in the country. It seems to be the same way with the med students too, from reading their boards.

CA is sort of like Texas....I call it "The People's Republic of California". Their laws are a bit wackier, that's for sure. Admittedly I love certain parts of the state, and there are A LOT of lifers there. I think of it like NYC, there are some who know they don't want to ever leave.

-t

I was going to mention NYC but I realized that most of the NYC people I've met seem willing to at least acknowledge the possibility of leaving at some point. Either for school, or realizing that maybe their spouse will get a job outside the city, etc. For alot of the Cali folks, it doesn't even seem like a possibility!

Those of you from Cali, please understand I'm not bad-mouthing the state or anything. I'm just curious why it draws such determination to stay for some people, even to the point where I see posts from med students who are going to give up their dream of going to medical school because they couldn't get into any of the cali schools.

Having just returned from California a few days ago I totally get it. I have a cousin who moved from small-town Canada to huge-city California and I didn't understand it at all until I was there. California doesn't even feel like it's part of the US, it's like its own alternate universe.

Honestly I'm a little annoyed that I wasn't born there :laugh: I would imagine it's hard as hell now to get licensed and make a good living since everyone else is already trying to do it.

I've toyed with the idea of NoCal, but if I were going that far, I figure I might as well move to Washington or Oregon. SoCal is gorgous, and would be awesome if it wasn't so full of psychs. If you specialize you can still do quite well, but it is obviously more competitive if you are a fish in a big bowl, instead of being a fish in a small bowl.

-t

What do you all know about PGSP in Mountain View, CA? Opinions?

What do you all know about PGSP in Mountain View, CA? Opinions?

It's actually in Palo Alto.

I was accepted there and didn't go. First, their price tag is verging on hilarious. Nobody who isn't some sort of heir or heiress could afford that.

Second, every time I called them I would need to try five or six times before anyone answered the phone. Finally, they "lost" my acceptance letter 3 times, finally stating that they couldn't figure out how to mail it to Canada.

I've spoken to a number of students who go/went there and the reviews seem to be completely split. However, they ALL said something to the effect of "if you CAN go to a University program instead, do so".

I've heard Palo Alto is gorgeous, I'm sure it's a lot of fun to go to the school because of the large student body and culture in the area... but I seriously doubt that your credentials upon graduation would be worth the astronomical price you paid for them.

I'll stop ranting now. :laugh:

So where did you decide to go instead? (is that badform to ask? if so, apologies and nevermind..:p)