General Admissions & OTCAS CSUDH Applicant Stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats!!! I wonder why they sent an email? What is the date your letter is dated & when do you have to reply by?

I got an email too, after I got the letter in the mail. I was one of the first batch to get the letter but I lagged on sending in my letter of intent. So Patty emailed me saying that they wanted to make sure that I was receiving correspondence, and she also attached the letter to the email. I think they were running up against the initial November 30th deadline so they want to hear back from as many people as possible before they start sending letters of acceptance out to people who are on the alternate list.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations to everyone that got accepted! Unfortunately I had to turned down my acceptance for Spring 2018, but lucky for others another spot is opening! Maybe i'll be back in this forum next year.
Aww :( thanks for letting us know though and keeping this forum updated! I'm assuming you had to turn down the acceptance because of that job offer you had mentioned before? Anyways, I wish you the best of luck in all your endeavors! And hopefully I can get your lucky spot :xf: since I am still waiting and my portal is STILL "in review"

Officially denied admission this morning :( No email or letter, but it's on the portal.

Congrats to the rest of you!

Sent in my USC application last night!

Members don't see this ad :)
Officially denied admission this morning :( No email or letter, but it's on the portal.

Congrats to the rest of you!

Sent in my USC application last night!
Aww so sorry to hear that :( I was so sure you would get in based on your stats. But I guess it is not solely based on stats. Don't worry though, your stats are great for USC especially that AWA 5. I wish you all the best in your future endeavors! :)

Aww so sorry to hear that :( I was so sure you would get in based on your stats. But I guess it is not solely based on stats. Don't worry though, your stats are great for USC especially that AWA 5. I wish you all the best in your future endeavors! :)
Thank you :) You too!

Congratulations to all of the accepted applicants! CSUDH is an amazing program!

A concern I had is that CSUDH doesn’t have a personal statement portion included in the admissions process. I feel everyone has their own powerful story of how they discovered OT and it’d be nice to share it.

Congratulations to all of the accepted applicants! CSUDH is an amazing program!

A concern I had is that CSUDH doesn’t have a personal statement portion included in the admissions process. I feel everyone has their own powerful story of how they discovered OT and it’d be nice to share it.
Though they don't require a personal statement, you can include one. If you read the past forums on here CSUDH Discussion, a lot of people asked the department if a personal statement is required and there response is always "it's not required, but you can include one if you want". They also said this in the info session when someone asked about a personal statement. We won't know for certain if they will read it but it doesn't hurt to include one. I included one because I believed my stats are average and was hoping that my Personal Statement coupled with my letters of rec will help get me accepted.

Though they don't require a personal statement, you can include one. If you read the past forums on here CSUDH Discussion, a lot of people asked the department if a personal statement is required and there response is always "it's not required, but you can include one if you want". They also said this in the info session when someone asked about a personal statement. We won't know for certain if they will read it but it doesn't hurt to include one. I included one because I believed my stats are average and was hoping that my Personal Statement coupled with my letters of rec will help get me accepted.
I also included one of Cal State Apply but didn't add it to the packet. I had written one out to help my letters of rec people to base off of.

Hi everyone! I've been looking at this thread for the past couple of weeks and finally decided to join the conversation. I have not heard anything from CSUDH yet. My portal still says "in review". Congrats to all of those who have been accepted! At this point, I'm thinking I've either been denied admission or waitlisted, so I am starting to focus on what I can do to strengthen my stats and resume for when I apply again next year. This was my first time applying. Like many of you, CSUDH is my #1 choice based on curriculum, location and finances.

Good luck to everyone!

Stats
Undergrad GPA: 3.3
Prereqs GPA: 3.8
GRE: V 156 Q 150 AWA 4.5
Volunteer: 80.5 hours at a pediatric clinic

Letters: 1 from the OT who I shadowed, 1 from a former employer, 1 from a professor

Last edited:

I included one too. I figured it couldn’t hurt and it could potentially be the difference between you and another applicant.

I included one too. I figured it couldn’t hurt and it could potentially be the difference between you and another applicant.

I did not include one in the packet, but I did write a short but sweet reason why I wanted to attend CSUDH for the application website.

Hey everyone I've been lurking on this page for a while - been in the dark till today where I stood. Although my portal is still in review, got a letter dated Dec 1 that has me listed as an alternate. So for those of you who haven't heard anything yet, you're possibly an alternate also, so theres still a chance people may drop out by Jan 12, which is their cutoff date. Good luck

Hey everyone I've been lurking on this page for a while - been in the dark till today where I stood. Although my portal is still in review, got a letter dated Dec 1 that has me listed as an alternate. So for those of you who haven't heard anything yet, you're possibly an alternate also, so theres still a chance people may drop out by Jan 12, which is their cutoff date. Good luck
I'm assuming they don't tell you which position your in on the waitlist? Do you mind sharing your stats? My portal is still in review too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I called and they couldn't tell me my waitlist position. Just said to be patient and it could come up at any time. Still no clarity but still some hope.

Stats
Undergrad GPA: 3.52
Pre-reqs GPA: 3.8
GRE: V 156 Q 148 AWA 4.5
Volunteer: 110 hours outpatient clinic; 83 hours pediatric early-intervention

Just got my letter stating I am also on the alternate list. So the wait continues...I am very very thankful to still have an opportunity. I am willing to wait as long as possible just to attend CSUDH. This is the only school I had applied to and my first time applying

For a refresher my stats are:
Overall GPA: 3.55
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: V-148 Q-148 AW-4
Volunteer/Intern Hours: 400+ in peds

Well... finally got my rejection letter in the mail today! Also dated Dec 1.

Also refresher stats:
Major: Practice of Art and minor in Disability Studies from UC Berkeley
Overall GPA: 3.82
Pre-req GPA: 4.0
GRE: 154V, 154Q, AWA5
Shadowed: 82 hrs at community based mental health
Other experience: 1.5 yrs working as a medical receptionist, a semester of assisted yoga, a semester interning at an art studio for developmentally disabled artists

Not sure who to contact asking what I should be working on if I apply next year. If anyone knows, do let me know!

I also received a letter in the mail today dated December 1st, informing me that I am on the alternate list. A glimmer of hope!

And just like that I got moved from the waitlist and got accepted late this afternoon! They emailed me with the letter attached. Hang in there guys!

Reactions: 1 users
And just like that I got moved from the waitlist and got accepted late this afternoon! They emailed me with the letter attached. Hang in there guys!
WOOT WOOT! Can’t wait to meet you! I have to respond by Dec 14 so hang in there guys. There’s still time and others may deny their acceptance!

Wow!! Congrats to you!:) Maybe calling helped? I receive my mail super late so I didn't know I was wait listed till 5pm. I still have hope!

I got wait-listed too. Congrats!! What time did they send you the email?

[/QUOTE]
I called and they couldn't tell me my waitlist position. Just said to be patient and it could come up at any time. Still no clarity but still some hope.

Stats
Undergrad GPA: 3.52
Pre-reqs GPA: 3.8
GRE: V 156 Q 148 AWA 4.5
Volunteer: 110 hours outpatient clinic; 83 hours pediatric early-intervention

Who did you call?

Congrats to those of you who got accepted! Has anyone applied to West Coast University as well?

Got the acceptance email around 4pm. I called the admin staff for the dept. In any case, Jan 12th is still a ways away, so anything can happen in that time. Stay hopeful.

Hey, everyone! For those of you who have been accepted, have any of you received any enrollment info?

Hey, everyone! For those of you who have been accepted, have any of you received any enrollment info?

My fiancé got accepted (I didn’t) and when he turned in his deposit and letter of intent to enroll they said they would let you all know about enrollment and next steps once they have a complete cohort. Some of the acceptances still have until December 14th to respond, and that isn’t including people getting in thru wait lists so we assume expect it sometime next week for more info.

Congrats to those of you who got accepted! Has anyone applied to West Coast University as well?

I’m applying to Westcoast OTD, deadline is May.. but I’m submitting everything in the next few weeks. :) this was my plan B. Are you applying? Or have u applied to the masters at westcoast?

Called the dept yesterday and they said class scheduling info should be coming out this week - so probably on the 14th or 15

Nope but I heard the same thing about receiving info by this week from Samuel.

I confirm this. I talked to Sam in person and he said he’ll send out a schedule by the end of this week hopefully.

I’m applying to Westcoast OTD, deadline is May.. but I’m submitting everything in the next few weeks. :) this was my plan B. Are you applying? Or have u applied to the masters at westcoast?
i am on the waitlist for the masters now but if i dont make it in i will be applying for the May deadline as well.

Thanks for your responses, everyone! Just got an email that said I'd get emailed my schedule in a few days. :)

Hello, does anyone know when financial aid award status will be posted on student portal under student center (submitted my FAFSA in October)? Also, what would happen if I don’t pay tuition within 48hrs after registration? Thanks in advance!
I signed up for classes a week ago and didn't even realize charges had been assessed. I just checked now; it still says I owe a cool $4,222.00 o_O

I haven't been sent any financial aid information but I know some others in the cohort have received a package from the finaid office as early as a few weeks ago. Not sure if that is the typical experience because I was told by the office in person that they wouldn't start sending out packages (to anybody in grad programs) until after 1/2/18 which is when the office reopens after winter break. So I'm sure they will get on the ball after winter break. I'll be waiting too. You're not alone in this! :)

Is anyone or does anyone know of someone who was accepted to Dominguez Hills, but is waiting for a decision from SJSU or USC? I know sometimes there are people who apply to both SJSU & CSUDH hoping to get into SJSU since they are from up north. I'm still wait-listed and trying to gauge my chances. The deadline is Jan 12 so as each day goes by I'm starting to get nervous. But I still have hope and am hopeful I can get in. It doesn't help that the Cohort 14 facebook doesn't have alot of people so I can't really guage how "full" the cohort is.

I signed up for classes a week ago and didn't even realize charges had been assessed. I just checked now; it still says I owe a cool $4,222.00 o_O

I haven't been sent any financial aid information but I know some others in the cohort have received a package from the finaid office as early as a few weeks ago. Not sure if that is the typical experience because I was told by the office in person that they wouldn't start sending out packages (to anybody in grad programs) until after 1/2/18 which is when the office reopens after winter break. So I'm sure they will get on the ball after winter break. I'll be waiting too. You're not alone in this! :)

I’m in the same boat too!

Is anyone or does anyone know of someone who was accepted to Dominguez Hills, but is waiting for a decision from SJSU or USC? I know sometimes there are people who apply to both SJSU & CSUDH hoping to get into SJSU since they are from up north. I'm still wait-listed and trying to gauge my chances. The deadline is Jan 12 so as each day goes by I'm starting to get nervous. But I still have hope and am hopeful I can get in. It doesn't help that the Cohort 14 facebook doesn't have alot of people so I can't really guage how "full" the cohort is.

There are 50 members in the fb Cohort 14 group but some of those people are students from Cohort 13, part of the admin that run the group. They sent out the Excel spreadsheet so you could sign up to have a Cohort 13 buddy, and there are 59 people on that list. Hope that helps :)

Also, I just received notice that if I don't pay for my classes by 1/9/18, they will get dropped. I emailed the financial aid office to see when a package might be headed my way. They don't have my FAFSA information on file since I didn't know I was supposed to add the school until mid-December. This is all information for next year's hopefuls so they don't make the same mistake! Definitely add CSUDH to your FAFSA before you even find out about your decision. I hope I get financial aid before classes start.

There are 50 members in the fb Cohort 14 group but some of those people are students from Cohort 13, part of the admin that run the group. They sent out the Excel spreadsheet so you could sign up to have a Cohort 13 buddy, and there are 59 people on that list. Hope that helps :)

Also, I just received notice that if I don't pay for my classes by 1/9/18, they will get dropped. I emailed the financial aid office to see when a package might be headed my way. They don't have my FAFSA information on file since I didn't know I was supposed to add the school until mid-December. This is all information for next year's hopefuls so they don't make the same mistake! Definitely add CSUDH to your FAFSA before you even find out about your decision. I hope I get financial aid before classes start.

Oh wow thanks for letting me know there 59 in the cohort! I'm surprised they made a smaller cohort this year. I remember from past info sessions they typically admit 66-70 students. I'm still clinging onto hope that I can get in. Thankfully I did add CSUDH to my FAFSA when I completed it last year.

Oh wow thanks for letting me know there 59 in the cohort! I'm surprised they made a smaller cohort this year. I remember from past info sessions they typically admit 66-70 students. I'm still clinging onto hope that I can get in. Thankfully I did add CSUDH to my FAFSA when I completed it last year.
I think 70 students were admitted because Sam sent out an email that one of our classes would be split into 2 sections with 35 students each. The 59 kabobberz stated is about our Cohort 13/14 buddy system sign up! I know of people who were admitted who didn’t sign up for a buddy. Hang in there ! Friday is our mandatory orientation. If someone doesn’t show up then a spot will probably open up! :)

I think 70 students were admitted because Sam sent out an email that one of our classes would be split into 2 sections with 35 students each. The 59 kabobberz stated is about our Cohort 13/14 buddy system sign up! I know of people who were admitted who didn’t sign up for a buddy. Hang in there ! Friday is our mandatory orientation. If someone doesn’t show up then a spot will probably open up! :)
Oh I see. Thanks for clarifying. I am hoping someone doesn't show up or someone gets accepted into SJSU if they are from up north. Good luck with orientation on Friday! :)

Hi everyone!

Here are my stats please let me know where I can improve and your thoughts:

Undergrad: CSUF - BS in Health Science
GPA - CSUF: 2.8 (EKKKKK! :0)
GPA - Pre Req: 3.6
Community college - Member of Honors Program: 3.9
GRE: 144 Q 142 V 3 AWA (I am retaking it this June 2018)

Experience/ OT Hours: 500+ Hours in observation in OT clinics.
Observations:
1) Sport & Hand Therapy Clinic 2) Hospital Acute Rehab 3) Elementary School Special Education depart. 4) In-Home Neurological Health
Work Experience:
1) Behavioral Interventionist (ABA) 2) Anatomy/Physiology Supplemental Instructor
Recommendations:
1) Hand Therapist - OT 2) Academic Advisor 3) Biology Professor (I am her Instructional Assistant).

Hi everyone!

Observations:
1)
Sport & Hand Therapy Clinic 2) Hospital Acute Rehab 3) Elementary School Special Education depart. 4) In-Home Neurological Health
Work Experience:
1)
Behavioral Interventionist (ABA) 2) Anatomy/Physiology Supplemental Instructor
Recommendations:
1)
Hand Therapist - OT 2) Academic Advisor 3) Biology Professor (I am her Instructional Assistant).
You’ll have to take some classes try and get at least a 3.0 GPA and retake the GRE to hit a 146 V and 4 AWA. But you’ll probably want to bulk those up more than the minimum. CSUDH is super competitive since it’s the only public program out here. (I didn’t get into their program this year but judging by their posted requirements and by the people I applied with and actually got in). Also even though they say a Personal Statement isn’t required, you should include one in your packet anyways.

Hi everyone!

Observations:
1)
Sport & Hand Therapy Clinic 2) Hospital Acute Rehab 3) Elementary School Special Education depart. 4) In-Home Neurological Health
Work Experience:
1)
Behavioral Interventionist (ABA) 2) Anatomy/Physiology Supplemental Instructor
Recommendations:
1)
Hand Therapist - OT 2) Academic Advisor 3) Biology Professor (I am her Instructional Assistant).

I do not want to be the bearer of bad news or anything negative, but you need to know what is REAL. You will not get in with those stats. You MUST improve your GRE score dramatically to even be considered. CSUDH has minimums for the GRE so hopefully your re-take hits those at least. Also, your undergrad GPA is too low. I'm not sure what you can even do as they do not factor the last 60 units. They take your whole undergrad GPA as your GPA. They do not include it with classes you take at a community college. Whatever is on your undergrad transcript is your GPA there are no ways to increase or decrease it (assuming you've graduated already). I would contact them and ask if you can even apply with a 2.8 GPA. You might not even be able to. CSUDH is the ONLY "cheap" OT school in SoCal and 1 of 2 in CA so it is VERYYYYYYYYYYYYYY competitive. Honestly, I would look into schools that look at the last 60 units. Some schools like this is SJSU (but you need an even higher GRE score) or look at schools that do not require the GRE such as West Coast University or Loma Linda. I'm just trying to be real with you and not sugar coat things. CSUDH gets more and more competitive with each year.

Also, for all those reading this in the future, do yourself a favor and confirm all your pre-req classes with CSUDH OT department. Have written confirmation that the pre-req you took is acceptable. If you have a super high (3.8+ GPA and get rejected from this school) you must of fallen into the system where they automatically rejected your pre-req or some form or another. If you are applying with a high GPA (3.8+) and GRE score (V 160+ Q 157+ AWA 5+) and don't get in pleaseee double check right away with admissions. It doesn't hurt to double check everything.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I do not want to be the bearer of bad news or anything negative, but you need to know what is REAL. You will not get in with those stats. You MUST improve your GRE score dramatically to even be considered. CSUDH has minimums for the GRE so hopefully your re-take hits those at least. Also, your undergrad GPA is too low. I'm not sure what you can even do as they do not factor the last 60 units. They take your whole undergrad GPA as your GPA. They do not include it with classes you take at a community college. Whatever is on your undergrad transcript is your GPA there are no ways to increase or decrease it (assuming you've graduated already). I would contact them and ask if you can even apply with a 2.8 GPA. You might not even be able to. CSUDH is the ONLY "cheap" OT school in SoCal and 1 of 2 in CA so it is VERYYYYYYYYYYYYYY competitive. Honestly, I would look into schools that look at the last 60 units. Some schools like this is SJSU (but you need an even higher GRE score) or look at schools that do not require the GRE such as West Coast University or Loma Linda. I'm just trying to be real with you and not sugar coat things. CSUDH gets more and more competitive with each year.

Also, for all those reading this in the future, do yourself a favor and confirm all your pre-req classes with CSUDH OT department. Have written confirmation that the pre-req you took is acceptable. If you have a super high (3.8+ GPA and get rejected from this school) you must of fallen into the system where they automatically rejected your pre-req or some form or another. If you are applying with a high GPA (3.8+) and GRE score (V 160+ Q 157+ AWA 5+) and don't get in pleaseee double check right away with admissions. It doesn't hurt to double check everything.

No thank you very much for the honesty. I really need to reevaluate and really think things through of where to apply and if I need to find more out of state/private schools and go from there.

No thank you very much for the honesty. I really need to reevaluate and really think things through of where to apply and if I need to find more out of state/private schools and go from there.

It is great to see that you can really step back and evaluate where you stand. I highly recommend applying to schools that have interviews (WCU, Touro University, Stanbridge, University St. Augustine). Though you may not have the highest grades, you can showcase your passion and experience with OT since you have so many observation hours. I wish you the best of luck in your journey!

It is great to see that you can really step back and evaluate where you stand. I highly recommend applying to schools that have interviews (WCU, Touro University, Stanbridge, University St. Augustine). Though you may not have the highest grades, you can showcase your passion and experience with OT since you have so many observation hours. I wish you the best of luck in your journey!

Yes, I agree with the interview process. For myself getting to know the faculty and sharing my journey to get to where I am now, passionate about OT is a huge game changer. Does CSUDH not have interviews? My friend said it was an on and off thing. Some cohorts they did have interviews, and some didn't need to do an interview.

Hi all!!

So I am looking to apply to CSUDH for the Spring of 2019 and was really looking for some (honest but harsh) constructive criticism on my stats.

Undergrad: UCM, BS in Human Biology
GPA - UCM: 3.2
GPA - Pre Req: 3.5
GRE: 150 Q 147 V 4.5 AWA
BUT, I am retaking it on June 23rd in hopes of improving my verbal. We'll see though, from the practice exams I've taken it doesn't seem to budge.

OT Hours: Total of about 1,000+.
Hand therapy: 110 just volunteering, then became a PT aide at the same facility and have been for about a year so those hours just keep adding up.
Peds outpatient: ~50

LORs:
Cognitive Science professor I did research with during undergrad
OT hand therapist
OT from peds facility(CSUDH alum; idk if this makes any difference)
PT

OTHER STUFF:
I have a publication from undergraduate research on complexity matching.
Helped as an Aide in special needs classrooms during high school (2 years)

ANY INPUT IS MUCH APPRECIATED! THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Hi all!!

So I am looking to apply to CSUDH for the Spring of 2019 and was really looking for some (honest but harsh) constructive criticism on my stats.

Undergrad: UCM, BS in Human Biology
GPA - UCM: 3.2
GPA - Pre Req: 3.5
GRE: 150 Q 147 V 4.5 AWA
BUT, I am retaking it on June 23rd in hopes of improving my verbal. We'll see though, from the practice exams I've taken it doesn't seem to budge.

OT Hours: Total of about 1,000+.
Hand therapy: 110 just volunteering, then became a PT aide at the same facility and have been for about a year so those hours just keep adding up.
Peds outpatient: ~50

LORs:
Cognitive Science professor I did research with during undergrad
OT hand therapist
OT from peds facility(CSUDH alum; idk if this makes any difference)
PT

OTHER STUFF:
I have a publication from undergraduate research on complexity matching.
Helped as an Aide in special needs classrooms during high school (2 years)

ANY INPUT IS MUCH APPRECIATED! THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Hi! I was accepted into the program this last spring. One thing I found most common with my cohort is that majority of us had 4.0 for pre-req GPAs. I would say try to improve your pre-reqs GPA if you can. I've heard from the grapevine that admissions likes seeing LOR with 1 OT, 1 employer/mentor, and 1 professor. Try to retake the GRE as well! When I first took the GRE , my verbal score was 149 and I was able to raise it to 153 with lots of studying! Good luck :)