General Admissions & OTCAS CSUDH Applicant Stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone had their portal change to "denied admission to the university" or is it just sitting on "waiting for review" for everyone who hasn't gotten an acceptance?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone had their portal change to "denied admission to the university" or is it just sitting on "waiting for review" for everyone who hasn't gotten an acceptance?
It's still in review for mine.

Reactions: 1 user
Still review for me too

Members don't see this ad :)
Btw, HAPPY EARLY THANKSGIVING guys!!! No matter what happens.. despite the emotional rollercoaster (for those of us still waiting in the land of unknown and uncertainty) getting this far,to be able to be a candidate, is something to be thankful for!

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know what most students do for housing?
Some of us live with other students of the cohort. Found through posting in the cohort fb page. We generally live around the Southbay (Carson, Lomita, Torrance, Hawthorne, Gardena etc) area. Make sure to check out the places in person as there are sketchy places at times. Some students have found places to live through craigslist.

Reactions: 1 users
You guys were right, it was a good sign that they asked me to verify my hours. I got in, I got an official letter from the department (my portal hasn't changed yet so I will call them about that tomorrow.) I have to let them know by December 5th
Here are my stats for a refresher:
University: Colorado College
Major: History/Poly Science
Overall GPA: 3.28 (Went to school over ten years ago.)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.8 (got a B in statistics)
GRE: V-164 Q-157 AWA-5 (retook it first time was V-167, Q-153 AWA 3.5)
Volunteer/Intern Hours: 84.75 hours with peds.

Reactions: 4 users
You guys were right, it was a good sign that they asked me to verify my hours. I got in, I got an official letter from the department (my portal hasn't changed yet so I will call them about that tomorrow.) I have to let them know by December 5th

Omgosh congratulations!!!!!! When was the letter dated?

Yay!! Congrats!! Did you get the letter yesterday? Trying to get a sense of what date they mailed it on.

Congratulations!! Anyone else out there get any good news too?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! Interesting that your portal didn't change yet. I wonder if that'll be common for upcoming acceptances.

Congrats!! So happy for you!

Hi everyone!

So as my username states, I am not an applicant myself, but rather I have a friend who applied to CSUDH and is waiting to see if she got in or not. She’s as stressed as can be and I stumbled on here with the hopes that she still had a chance of getting in. It seems like some of you are still awaiting word as well? The OT dept did say they were still sending out letters until the end of the month, which leaves this week. Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted and best of luck to those of you still awaiting word!

I just checked my portal. It changed today to "denied admission from university"

I just checked my portal. It changed today to "denied admission from university"
Oh no :( sorry to hear that! When did you submit your application via Cal State Apply? I wonder if they change the status of all those denied at once? Mine still says the same "sent to dept for review". Thanks for letting us know of your changed status!

Oh no :( sorry to hear that! When did you submit your application via Cal State Apply? I wonder if they change the status of all those denied at once? Mine still says the same "sent to dept for review". Thanks for letting us know of your changed status!
Fortunately my application is still in review too

Hey everyone! Wondering if anyone's CalState Apply still just says complete? Mine still hasn't changed to "in review" or an acceptance decision. I called the school and they said as long as my app said complete there shouldn't be any problems. Still have not received a letter or decision :confused:

Hey everyone! Wondering if anyone's CalState Apply still just says complete? Mine still hasn't changed to "in review" or an acceptance decision. I called the school and they said as long as my app said complete there shouldn't be any problems. Still have not received a letter or decision :confused:
I've been looking at https://my.csudh.edu/, not CalState Apply.

Sorry to hear about that, CGCOOPER :(

I turned in my app September 1st. I'm certain the GRE was my limiting factor because my GPA was in the high 3.8's. Good luck to everyone else still in the running!

Did you get assigned a username and password? I don't know that I ever made one or remember signing in to the CSUDH portal.

I turned in my app September 1st. I'm certain the GRE was my limiting factor because my GPA was in the high 3.8's. Good luck to everyone else still in the running!
Could I ask you what were your GRE scores ?

Did you get assigned a username and password? I don't know that I ever made one or remember signing in to the CSUDH portal.
I got a USPS letter from CSUDH maybe a couple weeks after submitting my application. It had information about setting up mycsudh account

I’m in the same boat as you! My status changed this morning to denied admission too. :blackeye: I emailed them to see what I need to improve for next year... to those accepted I’ll somehow meet you around through my fiancé(he’ll be there, I won’t be in the program but we still partner together in all our work.. we’re like Pierre and Marie curie lol :laugh:).

I’m off to applying to Westcoast OTD program now, deadline is May 1st.. but I’ll still reapply for next year, with a stronger application, but i will reapply just bc a “no” only fuels my drive even more. I was in disbelief, we were in disbelief and so disheartened BUT this isn’t the end, only the beginning.. I will see you ALL accepted or not in this field.

To those still under review.. hope still glimmers!! Don’t lose hope yet.

I’m in the same boat as you! My status changed this morning to denied admission too. :blackeye: I emailed them to see what I need to improve for next year... to those accepted I’ll somehow meet you around through my fiancé(he’ll be there, I won’t be in the program but we still partner together in all our work.. we’re like Pierre and Marie curie lol :laugh:).

I’m off to applying to Westcoast OTD program now, deadline is May 1st.. but I’ll still reapply for next year, with a stronger application, but i will reapply just bc a “no” only fuels my drive even more. I was in disbelief, we were in disbelief and so disheartened BUT this isn’t the end, only the beginning.. I will see you ALL accepted or not in this field.

Good luck! You'll get in eventually! This process has been intense.

Thank you for sharing yours and your fiancé stats with us and always updating where you both were at with the application process for CSUDH. I believe you have a greater chance in getting into West Coast OTD since they interview their candidates, which gives you the opportunity to express how passionate you are in becoming an OT and what you have done so far along this journey. I wish you the best of luck with all your endeavors! And congrats to your fiancé! I hope I get the chance to meet him as my status is still in review.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I think they also sent an email about setting it up too
Thank you for sharing yours and your fiancé stats with us and always updating where you both were at with the application process for CSUDH. I believe you have a greater chance in getting into West Coast OTD since they interview their candidates, which gives you the opportunity to express how passionate you are in becoming an OT and what you have done so far along this journey to becoming an OT. I wish you the best of luck with all your endeavors! And congrats to your fiancé! I hope I get the chance to meet him as my status is still in review.
Agreed! You really are the best

My GRE score combined was 300 AWA 4
My stats last year seem really similar to yours, I didn’t get in then either. The main difference between my stats last year and this year was retaking and bumping up my Anatomy and Physiology grades- I didn’t change anything else. My GRE score was 159v 147q 4awa both years. I heard a lot of people don’t get in their first time applying- so I think you are still on the right track!

As we sat and tried to find reasons why and where I can improve for next year..and consulted with my fiancé's mentor (who used to be chair of his dept and sat on multiple admission committees).. we noticed a pattern which was confirmed by his mentor..
It seems CSUDH, specifically, like to see a year gap between undergrad graduation and application time.. I think they want to see how you used that gap year and what you did during that time. We were also convinced if my fiancé had applied the same year he graduated he wouldn't have made it in either, but the year gap he took to fast track a masters program and become a lab instructor is what helped me made the cut. I notice people with stellar stats and GRE and letter of rec that graduated the year they apply tend to face denial and the following year they get first choice acceptance.. just something we observed.. we may be totally wrong but it's just a hypothesis.

I think they also sent an email about setting it up too

Agreed! You really are the best
You guys are ALLL awesome! We're all in this together somehow, someway! Same goals just different journeys. :) I'm most certain we will all cross paths in the field one day.

As we sat and tried to find reasons why and where I can improve for next year..and consulted with my fiancé's mentor (who used to be chair of his dept and sat on multiple admission committees).. we noticed a pattern which was confirmed by his mentor..
It seems CSUDH, specifically, like to see a year gap between undergrad graduation and application time.. I think they want to see how you used that gap year and what you did during that time. We were also convinced if my fiancé had applied the same year he graduated he wouldn't have made it in either, but the year gap he took to fast track a masters program and become a lab instructor is what helped me made the cut. I notice people with stellar stats and GRE and letter of rec that graduated the year they apply tend to face denial and the following year they get first choice acceptance.. just something we observed.. we may be totally wrong but it's just a hypothesis.
Interesting observation...though I would have to disagree. I have a few friends from cohort 12 & 13 and they either got in their first try straight after undergrad or waited 2-3 years to apply. It really all depends on each applicant pool. From this pool, it seemed that they accepted first those who had really high GRE & GPA scores (i.e. scores that are 3.7+GPA, & V164+ W 4.5+) The next pool of people were those who had okay to low gpas but really high GRE scores (i.e. 3.2- 3.5 GPA & V157+ W4.5+, with some 4's). Essentially, it comes down to numbers. Other factors could also be their rec letters. We simply do not know. What we for sure know are people's stats.

I personally believe that the Quant score of the GRE doesn't matter as long as you hit the minimum. I also believe the amount of hours you did does not matter. Also, I believe age and gap year(s) do not matter. With this application pool, I definitely saw ALOT more high GRE scores esp writing. I've never seen so many AWA 5+ from an applicant pool. As for your fiancé, he had a really high GPA, 4.0 Pre-reqs, and tho his GRE score weren't the highest, his high undergrad GPA compensated for it. Not to mention, his military background. In the CSUDH app there is a question asking to check yes or no if we are a "California veteran". So I can only imagine being one helps in the application process. As for your own stats, I thought it was really good that you had an AWA 5. But you had mentioned that your undergrad GPA was low. I imagine that they will suggest that you improve your GRE score esp the verbal component. If you can get a Verbal score of 165+ and use the same AWA 5 score, I can bet you can get in next year even with a "low" GPA.

Did your portal end up changing yet to admitted?

Hey everyone again,

I'm currently out of country right now, but my friend was kind enough to call the OT department at DH to ask about our results
since i'm dying with this wait time...... My portal hasn't changed yet and it is still under review.
I guess I also just wanted to know if we will hear back for sure by the end of this month or not, since that changes my application situation for some other OT programs.

They told my friend that they will be sending out the last set of letters by tomorrow, and to allow USPS for a week for the official results in mail. So if you still haven't heard anything, I guess it's safe to say that we will back in a week or so..
They also said that they won't change it on the portal (?) but I don't really believe that part since its just been weird and different for everyone with the status on the CSUDH portal. She also said something about their policy to not have admission results on the portal?

But either way, I just wanted to share, or at least for those who are still waiting to hear back :(

My stats last year seem really similar to yours, I didn’t get in then either. The main difference between my stats last year and this year was retaking and bumping up my Anatomy and Physiology grades- I didn’t change anything else. My GRE score was 159v 147q 4awa both years. I heard a lot of people don’t get in their first time applying- so I think you are still on the right track!
I've also heard lots of people don't get in on the first try. I also agree that it looks like verbal is more important than quant. The info session said the average combined gre score is 305-310. Mines at 308 (154/154) but I imagine they see that as low since my verbal was 154. I have high awa (5), high gpa (3.8), high prereq gpa (4.0), employment history and volunteer history, but still haven't heard back. I imagine that to mean that the verbal score is very important. Either that, or that there have been applicants with similar ot goals as me that had higher scores. I still have some hope, but will be applying to USC as the deadline is in a couple of days.

When I'm thinking about where I could have improved was with my studying for the GRE. I spent most of my time studying quant bc it's been probably 10 years since I've looked at math (besides stats). I didn't think memorizing vocab would be helpful so I didn't do much of that at all.

I also wanted to add that the fb group for the cohort still does not have a lot of members. There may be many spots open, so for those of us waiting, that should be good news!

I think even those that were denied this year still have a good chance next year especially with a whole year to improve! I strongly believe in you all! Also, USC and possibly West Coast have similar fieldwork locations so maybe we will all meet each other that way :)

Hey everyone again,

I'm currently out of country right now, but my friend was kind enough to call the OT department at DH to ask about our results
since i'm dying with this wait time...... My portal hasn't changed yet and it is still under review.
I guess I also just wanted to know if we will hear back for sure by the end of this month or not, since that changes my application situation for some other OT programs.

They told my friend that they will be sending out the last set of letters by tomorrow, and to allow USPS for a week for the official results in mail. So if you still haven't heard anything, I guess it's safe to say that we will back in a week or so..
They also said that they won't change it on the portal (?) but I don't really believe that part since its just been weird and different for everyone with the status on the CSUDH portal. She also said something about their policy to not have admission results on the portal?

But either way, I just wanted to share, or at least for those who are still waiting to hear back :(
Ahh i'm going to be out of the country too starting next week. Do you mind sharing your stats?

I've also heard lots of people don't get in on the first try. I also agree that it looks like verbal is more important than quant. The info session said the average combined gre score is 305-310. Mines at 308 (154/154) but I imagine they see that as low since my verbal was 154. I have high awa (5), high gpa (3.8), high prereq gpa (4.0), employment history and volunteer history, but still haven't heard back. I imagine that to mean that the verbal score is very important. Either that, or that there have been applicants with similar ot goals as me that had higher scores. I still have some hope, but will be applying to USC as the deadline is in a couple of days.

When I'm thinking about where I could have improved was with my studying for the GRE. I spent most of my time studying quant bc it's been probably 10 years since I've looked at math (besides stats). I didn't think memorizing vocab would be helpful so I didn't do much of that at all.

I also wanted to add that the fb group for the cohort still does not have a lot of members. There may be many spots open, so for those of us waiting, that should be good news!

I think even those that were denied this year still have a good chance next year especially with a whole year to improve! I strongly believe in you all! Also, USC and possibly West Coast have similar fieldwork locations so maybe we will all meet each other that way :)
You are one of the ones I was surprised that didn't get a letter at the beginning. As long as your status still hasn't change in the portal, I believe your a high contender.

You are one of the ones I was surprised that didn't get a letter at the beginning. As long as your status still hasn't change in the portal, I believe your a high contender.
Thanks. My status hasn't changed.

Speaking of being out of country... I really would like to hear back soon, since I planned my winter vacation for 3 weeks and need to put in my 2 weeks at work before then :p Kind of a privileged reason lol but I didn't think it would be cutting so close! Hope all of you going out of country are having a good time nonetheless!

I'm wondering what all of your next steps are.

I'm working on my USC app, since the deadline is Nov 30. In previous years, the deadline was in February, so there was more time in between. Just wanted to put that out there in case other people are applying as well! I do hear that USC is pretty lax about the deadline (my friend got in a few years ago when she applied 3 months late, in May). I'm applying just so I have the option, even if I choose to apply again to CSUDH next year. I started my app about a week ago, and my transcripts have all gone through. I used the same letters of rec people as my CSUDH app, so they didn't have to write a new letter.

And honestly, it's kept my mind off of the waiting process for CSUDH.

I'm wondering what all of your next steps are.

I'm working on my USC app, since the deadline is Nov 30. In previous years, the deadline was in February, so there was more time in between. Just wanted to put that out there in case other people are applying as well! I do hear that USC is pretty lax about the deadline (my friend got in a few years ago when she applied 3 months late, in May). I'm applying just so I have the option, even if I choose to apply again to CSUDH next year. I started my app about a week ago, and my transcripts have all gone through. I used the same letters of rec people as my CSUDH app, so they didn't have to write a new letter.

And honestly, it's kept my mind off of the waiting process for CSUDH.

I’m applying to USC as well. I was putting off the application in case I heard something, but alas I don’t think I’ll hear in time. The USC app is due tomorrow eek. I might apply to Stanbridge and West Coast.

With your stats I’m positive you’ll get into USC. They’re big on GRE and GPA .

I’m applying to USC as well. I was putting off the application in case I heard something, but alas I don’t think I’ll hear in time. The USC app is due tomorrow eek. I might apply to Stanbridge and West Coast.

With your stats I’m positive you’ll get into USC. They’re big on GRE and GPA .
Oh wow... You're right. I thought it was the 28th today. I also didn't put on my alarm to go to work today hahaha I'm showing my true colors... at least I made it to work on time. Learning that it all works out in the end. Thanks for letting me know!

The USC pricetag is what worries me (really doesn't need to be said)... I know it's *possible* to pay off... but...!!! They do have a great program and some of the classes look really exciting. I'm sure the other schools are great as well.

Did your portal end up changing yet to admitted?
It changed to admitted. I got in late and I think if I had more hours I might have been a stronger candidate.

Hey everyone again,

Thanks for your update. Definitely gave me some temporary relief . We all might finally hear something soon!

Last edited:
I got accepted!!!! I just got an email with a pdf attachment of my acceptance letter! I’m so excited!

Reactions: 3 users
I got accepted!!!! I just got an email with a pdf attachment of my acceptance letter! I’m so excited!
OMG Congrats!!! I'm so happy for you! Wow and you actually got an email! When was the email sent?

Hopefully you didn't submit your USC app! Congrats again!

OMG Congrats!!! I'm so happy for you! Wow and you actually got an email! When was the email sent?

Hopefully you didn't submit your USC app! Congrats again!

HAHA I was so stressed out about sending my USC app that I didn’t even notice they sent the email this morning . My time stamp says it sent at 9:21am, I didn’t open my email til 4:30pm . So glad I found out before!

HAHA I was so stressed out about sending my USC app that I didn’t even notice they sent the email this morning . My time stamp says it sent at 9:21am, I didn’t open my email til 4:30pm . So glad I found out before!
Congrats!!! I wonder why they sent an email? What is the date your letter is dated & when do you have to reply by?

Congrats!!! I wonder why they sent an email? What is the date your letter is dated & when do you have to reply by?

My letter is dated for today (Nov 30). I have to respond by Dec 14